Just how bad are Klipsch subs?

Luckosaurous

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Apologies for any lack of etiquette (if any) I’m new here.

I’m buying a new house soon and my new living room will finally be large enough to shoe horn atmos into it. I’m planning on a 7.2.4 setup.

From what I’ve read, Klipsch subs are a bit on the dud side and SVS are where it’s at …But sound quality isn't going to be the only factor here, I need to convince Mrs Luckosaurous to allow me have them pride of place in the living room, and let’s be honest SVS aren’t the prettiest bits of kit, in fact I’d go so far as to describe them as brutish.

I’m having to buy the whole setup from scratch so I was hoping to get 2 subs at around £700 ($960) each so I’m not going to be getting the top of the line subs. My room isn’t exactly going to be massive, so :

How important is it that I get better quality subs? and is the difference between SVS sufficiently better quality that Klipsch to justify the 1 week stay in the dog house?

Attachments

• 4C02AD05-B360-4480-B039-47962B2D334E.jpeg
    4C02AD05-B360-4480-B039-47962B2D334E.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 76
I should add, I don’t know what I’m doing (can you tell?) so feel free to tell me if what I’m thinking of buying is overkill or not enough for that room size. And/or any other input and advice is very welcome.

Aesthetics will play a large part in this purchase though as I won’t be able to hide the subs away.

Hi guys,

Apologies for any lack of etiquette (if any) I’m new here.

I’m buying a new house soon and my new living room will finally be large enough to shoe horn atmos into it. I’m planning on a 7.2.4 setup.

From what I’ve read, Klipsch subs are a bit on the dud side and SVS are where it’s at …But sound quality isn't going to be the only factor here, I need to convince Mrs Luckosaurous to allow me have them pride of place in the living room, and let’s be honest SVS aren’t the prettiest bits of kit, in fact I’d go so far as to describe them as brutish.

I’m having to buy the whole setup from scratch so I was hoping to get 2 subs at around £700 ($960) each so I’m not going to be getting the top of the line subs. My room isn’t exactly going to be massive, so :

How important is it that I get better quality subs? and is the difference between SVS sufficiently better quality that Klipsch to justify the 1 week stay in the dog house?

If you live in UK you don`t need to look Klipsch products. The higher range models (12"&15") are not bad, but they are not competetive in UK where as in US and Europe there is often superb deals for them. The cheap range woofers are bad, amp failures and thin lightweight cabinet. The higher range uses better amps, drivers and different sloth port design with much heavier cabinet.

You do have other options. BK Mono Plus for example made in UK and you have many finish options to suit room decor, FF (lower and deeper) DF (taller and wider low depth):

Also XTZ makes fairly compact good looking high performing ported subs, 3 finishes:

Arendal 1961 1V would be awesome too, but you would need to save up for the 2nd one. About 900£/each.

If you still find those too large then BK has the compact P12-PR model as new grade-b for 440£, that is ridiculously low price for a quality product. Two of those optimally placed would be awesome for a ~15sqm living room theater. There is 3 finishes for the PR ending available here so you might get at least one cheaper:

And all finishes from the main site, usually built from order (made in UK, Essex):

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Of course the SVS's are the popular ones, and there are some dealers who still have them at the pre-price increase prices if you ask nicely.

So, depending on budget and WAF others you could consider at the lower end are the KLH Windsors, coming to the end of the line now, but still very good for the price.

Velodyne DeepBlue range are making a comeback with a highly recommended in one of this months uk magazines.

Or the Monolith 12" mini washing machines! Which may require a few additional months of washing up.

As a bit of a curve ball and depending on what look you want (have approval for) you could consider tower speakers with an active sub in the bottom, like the GoldenEars. Great performers, Rave US reviews and because the sub is in the bottom of the tower, you have 2 less boxes to find homes for.

Works brilliantly in our personal system.

If you live in UK you don`t need to look Klipsch products. The higher range models (12"&15") are not bad, but they are not competetive in UK where as in US and Europe there is often superb deals for them. The cheap range woofers are bad, amp failures and thin lightweight cabinet. The higher range uses better amps, drivers and different sloth port design with much heavier cabinet.

You do have other options. BK Mono Plus for example made in UK and you have many finish options to suit room decor, FF (lower and deeper) DF (taller and wider low depth):

Also XTZ makes fairly compact good looking high performing ported subs, 3 finishes:

Arendal 1961 1V would be awesome too, but you would need to save up for the 2nd one. About 900£/each.
Oooh that arendal one does look nice 😍

The budget isn’t rigid tbh, I’m just trying to limit myself as I have a habit of doing exactly what I’m doing now; getting giddy and upselling myself into spending more than I should.

Thank you though this is very worth considering. I had also looked at getting a Kef Q series setup for the speakers so I think these Arendal ones may work really well with that from an aesthetic standpoint. Are they a lot better quality than the Klipsch SPL 120/ SPL 150 which is a similar price point?

Or the Monolith 12" mini washing machines! Which may require a few additional months of washing up.
😂

Thanks for this, I like the look of the Deep Blue ones too!

I think for me i prefer the clean asthetic. Just a simple plane black box with a single woofer in the middle, and preferable not the size of a coffee table. I’m not sure there’s enough washing up in the world that would convince mrs Luckosaurous to let me keep something that size 😂

Do you think 2x 10” subs will be enough for a room that size? (See OP) or should I be looking larger?

Oooh that arendal one does look nice 😍

The budget isn’t rigid tbh, I’m just trying to limit myself as I have a habit of doing exactly what I’m doing now; getting giddy and upselling myself into spending more than I should.

Thank you though this is very worth considering. I had also looked at getting a Kef Q series setup for the speakers so I think these Arendal ones may work really well with that from an aesthetic standpoint. Are they a lot better quality than the Klipsch SPL 120/ SPL 150 which is a similar price point?

Yes Arendal is step up for sure in every way from the SPL120, i had the earlier version called R-112SW which seems very much identical to new one spec wise, more reliable bash amp with same specs. SVS and Arendal have longer warranty also.

Two of the sealed 1S models would work great too, we have members who had them in dedicated HT room and another member sold two SVS PC2000 away and bought one 1961 1S and loves it! It will probably work lot better size wise too and cheaper! Do notice the side firing driver, but the cabinet is narrow (31cm) also.

Example dual 1S in room:

1-jpg.1295339

Echo the SVS recommendation, they’re superb subs with a long warranty

Yes Arendal is step up for sure in every way from the SPL120, i had the earlier version called R-112SW which seems very much identical to new one spec wise, more reliable bash amp with same specs. SVS and Arendal have longer warranty also.

Two of the sealed 1S models would work great too, we have members who had them in dedicated HT room and another member sold two SVS PC2000 away and bought one 1961 1S and loves it! It will probably work lot better size wise too and cheaper! Do notice the side firing driver, but the cabinet is narrow (31cm) also.

Example dual 1S in room:

1-jpg.1295339
I think these could be a winner with Kef Q series for the rest of the setup. The reviews of the 1s seem really good, specially for their size. Thank you! 🙏🏻

Echo the SVS recommendation, they’re superb subs with a long warranty
Undoubtedly, everyone seems to agree. It’s just that they aren’t to my taste aesthetically and they DEFINITELY aren’t to my significant others taste. With them being in such a focal point in our main living space they’re going to have to look good to us too which is why I was considering Klipsch.

Example dual 1S in room:

1-jpg.1295339

How come you've got heights like that I thought supposed to be wider, above the l/r?

How come you've got heights like that I thought supposed to be wider, above the l/r?

I don´t know why he did that. Not my setup. Post 4214:

I think these could be a winner with Kef Q series for the rest of the setup. The reviews of the 1s seem really good, specially for their size. Thank you! 🙏🏻

The bang for buck was super strong on the 1S already earlier, but now that SVS raised prices it´s quite unbeatable at ~700£. SB2000 Pro (999£ new price) is the main competitor!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom