Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Just how accurate IS dvdpricecheck.co.uk?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by stretcher, Nov 6, 2003.

1. stretcher

stretcher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used this site a quite a bit in the past for R1 & R2 purchases, and taken the prices given at face value pretty well most of the time.

I want to get the US version of LOTR TTT + statue, & DVD Pacific has it (according to dvdpricecheck) for 58.41 dollars, or £36.33.

BUT, according to DVD Pacific, the total price is 71.28 dollars, inclusive of a shipping charge of 15.85 dollars. In sterling, that makes £42.71 in all.

Seems a bit of a large discrepancy to me.

I know they have a disclaimer, but has anyone else noticed any big differences with the prices quoted?

As a final thought, any advice on getting the GENUINELY cheapest gift set from a reputable R1 supplier? I note that Movietyme and CD-Wow aren't stocking it.

Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    It has been as accurate as any other site i have seen, delivery seems to be the thing that trips most up!! recently it seems pricerunner has lost its edge completely.

3. stretcher

stretcher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a-ha (my alan partridge bit there:rolleyes: )

So all the glowing comments I've read on this forum need to be taken with a pinch of salt?

And I must have my head buried in the sand - how many other price check sites are there? Any worth looking at?

Thanks

4. mugma

mugma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I usually use happyhunter.com for my price checking needs, they seem to do a pretty good job.

EasyValue.com also, but that is less focused on DVDs and I haven't found it to be nearly as good.

5. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The prices of the items on dvdpricecheck are accurate, but you should ignore the shipping charge column and check out each supplier individually. They do not take into account the fact that many R1 sites count box sets as multiple items, and their base prices for single disc items are not always accurate either.

6. stretcher

stretcher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I would have thought that with technology as it is, a more accurate assessment could be provided.

Unfortunately for me, I am stuck with a daxed BT line with average speeds of 28 to 32 K - you wouldn't believe how long it took to look at some of the other suppliers last night (or at other times for that mater).

What a pain:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I only use DVDPriceChecker to search about 10 different suppliers. They are the ones people here have used and found reliable and trustworthy, ie, Play, CD Wow, Movietyme, DVD soon (which are cheapest just about all the time) etc.

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had discrepancies in the past too. I use DVDSoon for most of my R1 needs and often the price changes on their site and pricecheeck is wrong. I don't know how often pricecheck update their d/b but I don't think it does a real time check.

The other thing to bare in mind is that they only list sites which pay them money!

Dave

9. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found that the prices listed on dvdpricecheck are usually completely out of date on older titles

10. Miles

Miles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeez - carry on whingeing:rolleyes:

DVDPricecheck provides an excellent FREE service (I have no connection) I just appreciate someone has gone to the trouble...

11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeh but what's the point in offering a service like that if it's inaccurate? For instance all DVDsoon titles on there seem to be marked at around £13, now not even their new releases cost that and some of their older titles only cost around a fiver.

I've stopped using DVDpricecheck and usually just head straight for DVDsoon.