Just hooked up my first prog scan DVD player to my PJ.

Bristol Pete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As above, just wired and fired my new DVD player to my Panny AE300. Its only the Sony 730 which I got for £139.00 online.

Now, as someone who has been the first to critisize the AE300 I can honestly say that it makes a massive difference. I set the DVD player to film progressive, lowered the picture, brightness and colour settings by -2 and watched region 1 T3 in awe.

Ran a couple of demos yesterday, which included my favourite PQ disks, Swordfish, SPR, Training Day and Red Dragon. All of them look even better with the occasional 'twitter' and haloing/fringing that plauged them before the upgrade are now completely gone. Superb:smashin:

I also tried LOTR - Two Towers as I was really disappointed with the PQ of this DVD on my PJ. However, it honestly looks like a different film. Bold colours, no VB, smooth and filmic. Exactly as it should be.

So there we have it, a new DVD player and a hoya filter have made a load of difference and I expect to be happy with my Panny for a least ohh, six odd weeks:devil:

Thanks again to all here, have a great new year.

Cap:)

I'm glad your happy. I've been running progressive scan for ages and will not go back. To be honest. Even using my pc with 1:1 mapping doesn't look that much better (very slight in fact) so i'll be sticking to my setup from now on.

I can only consider it as an improvement as that is what my eyes see. Much better than our old interlaced DVD as far as I am concerned. The best way I can explain it is this. Before, if we were watching a DVD and a scene had roof tiles or a lot of detail on it, the roof tiles may twitter or move, which I can only liken to 50hz bounce.

Now that effect has been completely removed with the new DVD deck. Also, colours are bolder and the image is smoother. A worthwhile upgrade all told.

As for the Hoya, I simply turn the picture temp up to +2 and I get an image I much prefer than without the Hoya. Deeper blacks with less noise.

Cap:smashin:

Cap

Glad you're getting good results with the 730. I too have bought this DVD player, are you not effected with the "blocky blacks"?. I can certainly see it on my tv, are you saying you don't see it on the pj? I bought the player in readiness of getting a pj so haven't seen it in operation using progressive scan as yet, does this then get rid of the blocky blacks?

Clint.

Noticed 'blocky blacks'. If you are, perhaps you could use the BNR to smooth it out.

Watched LOTR- The Fellowship yesterday and was blown away by the PQ. Also watched the genius Back to the Future Part 1 and that looked great - and I forgot what a bloody great film it is.

It is mad that in 2003/4 a DVD deck costing just £130.00 can blow the weeds off of a deck that cost £500.00 just three years ago. I suppose thats called progress and one has to say that its great for the consumer.

The only fault I can level at the 730 is the fact that the progressive option is controlled by the DVD facia only, not the remote. Not a big deal though.

Cap:smashin:

clintc,

I had to tweak my Z2 quite a lot to increase shadow detail (ie get rid of blocky blacks) with 730. Try boosting gamma on your tv (if poss) and then recalibrate.

Thanks chaps, I've already used the BNR to reduce the blocky blacks down quite a bit and I think I'm running on Cinema 2 mode or something like that. I guess pj's have more tweakability... one day I'll have one... a pj that is. :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom