Just had Virgin Broadband installed, but at a cost of...

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Matt_C, May 5, 2007.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    ...having Freeview in the PC room/office :(

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes anyway....

When I moved in last month I couldn't get any TV signal. Turns out I had "local cable" provided free by NTL when the place was built however long ago. I couldn't get anything off this except 4 poor reception analogue channels, and considering I had already bought a nice Freeview PVR etc I decided to have an aerial put on the roof.

Anyway. There are three TV points in the house - sitting room, bedroom 1 and bedroom 2 (which is now the PC room). Each of these points consisted of a box on the wall with F type terminals labled TV and FM. Outside the house these three cables came to another junction box connected to a coax cable coming out the ground - the "local TV cable"

So we just unplugged that, and plugged it into the new aerial coax cable and presto - digital TV in every room via Freeview.

Now - the lad from Virgin come today, and of course - he needs to use the "local cable" coming out the ground to pipe in the broadband. So we unplugged the coax that runs from the aerial splitter to the 2nd bedroom (PC room) and connected it to the local cable coax. Sorted - I now have 2mb cable broadband in my PC room.

But, I now don't have a TV input for my freeview box!!!

The only thing I can think of is drilling through the wall from the outside, alongside the existing coax cable (that goes through the wall from the outside into the 2nd bedroom) and connecting a coax to the now vacant f-type port on the aerial splitter to pipe an RF tv signal into the 2nd bedroom - which means 1) hole in wall, 2) a new coax run down outside wall and 3) a new "RF point" wall plate/box thingy.....

Any other ideas besides this? Not sure if I want to drill holes in my brand new house LOL!!!

2. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
  3. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I think we are all a bit confused by this. As a Virgin customer (ex NTL) I have never found the need to rely on the RF content of the cable for TV, although I do find mine provides a useful FM feed for my radio Tuner. I assume your TVs around the house have their separate Freeview boxes,or built in, so you simply need to continue to feed them from the aerial. I don't see where the Cable box comes into it, unless you are using that for TV as well. Perhaps I am confused by your post.

As a general rule the RF signal down a cable does not have the where-with-all to send a Freeview signal. I realise this might vary from place to place. Some estates were built with free cable systems to discourage people from putting up aerials. Milton Keynes is a particular case in point.

I can suggest that the easiest option might be to go for the lowest grade Virgin tv package and run that into your TV downstairs. It's cheap if you have broadband and you will get more channels than Freeview. Leave your aerial to provide a signal for the rest of the TVs.

4. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Right, I'll see if I can clear it up a bit! :)

When I got the house, in each of the three rooms was a TV/FM point on the wall. Outside the house was a black coax cable connected to a 3 way splitter. These three cables are fed through the outside walls into the house - 1 into each room. The black cable ouside was the free NTL "cable" cable. This only gave me 4 analogue TV channels using the normal tuner in a standard TV set. When plugged into a Freeview box I got nothing at all - not surprising as cable doesn't provide the same signal as you get from a normal RF aerial.

So, not wanting to have cable TV or Sky, and seeing as I already have a nice Freeview PVR and all the gear already, I had an aerial put up on the side of the house.

So, there are three cables coming into the house (well, 4 if you count the Sky cable, which was stole to make another aerial point from). 1 downstrairs, and 2 upstairs. All three come in from the outside, through the the wall and terminate inside, behind a plug cover thingy.

When I had the aerial put up, we just connected all three of these to the aerial outside the house - originally where they were connected to the NTL cable point. But since I had to reconnect one to the NTL cable point, in order to recieve their cable broadband signal, only two rooms now get a feed from the roof aerial. Since each room only had one coax cable fed to it, the room with the PC now has now RF aerial input. Problem is, I WANT TV in this room, so I need TWO coax points on the wall - 1 for broadband and one for TV (Freeview)

I still don't want cable TV or Sky. 1) I don't want to pay for it as I don't watch enough TV, 2) I already have all the gear I need bought already - Freeview boxes, PVR's etc, and don't have room for anymore in my AV unit.

So the only thing I can think of is to feed a length of coax aerial cable into the house alongside the existing feed, and connect the end outside to the aerial, and inside it will connect to my Freeview box. Only thing is, that means either drilling the wall through, or trying to scrape away the silicone stuff where the original feed is and seeing if I can force another feed in there with it, then resealing.

As per my other thread, I don't want to run the cables inside and go through the loft, as I would have to run a coax cable up a wall in the master bedroom, though a hole in the ceiling, across the loft, then though another hole in the ceiling, then down a wall in the 2nd bedroom to do it. I'd rather rip up the floorboards and run under them than do that - and I don't want to do that either! I don't want lenghts of conduit in various places, nor want to have to do any plastering or painting as the decorating is perfect and I don't want to touch it!

5. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I sympathise with your problem, but cannot see an easy way around it. I live in similarly wired property myself and had to resort to a secondary system in order to get TV upstairs. If you want to conceal wiring then you might, if it is at all possible, have to arrange for it to run behind the plasterboard. A competant professional should be able to do this. Hopefully somebody will have another solution for you. These pre-installed cable systems do seem like a good idea until you want to change things. In many cases they are cheap single screened cable which is not always up to the job of eliminating interferance from circuit breakers etc. For a long time we also could only get 4 channels. Now although analogue Channel 5 is rough we do at least get Freeview. I use that cable to run my PVR and use Virgin Cable for TV. A loft aerial runs upstairs tv.

6. moomoocookie

moomoocookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silly question, but what about an AV sender? quality is not too bad if you have a play about with the location of the sender and receiver....

Just a thought....

7. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    There doesn't appear to be an AV sender on the market that transmits pure RF signal tho. I also need it to be able to put out VGA as my Freeview/DVD box upstairs is hooked up to a Dell TFT monitor....

8. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    3 thoughts

1. Do you have Virgin Media phone as well as broadband. If so, you can get a Virgin STB box off them for nothing and stick this in the PC room instead of the Freeview box. Basically the same channels (less Sky 3, Sky News, Sky Sports News of course !) with both that and your cable modem being fed from the same co-ax.

2. You could always try an internal aerial on the set in your PC room. If you are in a relatively strong signal area you may get away with it. I have a bedroom TV which works fine on all multiplexes with an indoor aerial and we are some distance from both the possible transmitters. I did eventually stick the aerial in the loft though because any movement within the room was affecting the weaker transmissions (Sky 3, UK History ).

3. You could also try connecting the PC room coax to both the external antenna and the Virgin feed using a splitter as a joiner. Suggest you disconnect everything from the wall ports first though! It might all work though I suspect not. If the frequencies used by Virgin to carry the analogue channels clash with those used by Freeview for the multiplexes then you are stuffed. Also just having the Virgin feed may unbalance the whole setup somewhat and disrupt the Freeview reception and your cable modem might get upset as well. Only worth a try if you like living dangerously!

9. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    1. No I don't, which is a shame as that would've probably done! But I don't want a landline phone as I know I'll never use it and would rather not pay for it every month!

2. Tried that and no joy sadly

3. Hmmm.... Something tells me this is not worth trying! I don't like the idea of it really....

10. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    In that case you need another co-ax !

Suggest that you pick the easiest room i.e. the one nearest the outside junction box and possibly use the existing coax to pull through 2 new ones - you need 2 because of course the one you already have will have been pulled through and hence not there anymore if you follow me. If your existing holes are only just big enough, Maplin have miniature co-ax (which is according to their website is 28mm diameter vs 66mm for normal satellite co-ax - I'm not sure Maplin have quite got the hang of this new-fangled metric system). Obviously this won't be as good as "proper" coax but if the run is short enough it might be OK - and if it isn't you just use it to pull the original one back and redo the sealant round the hole.

Replace your single faceplate with a double F outlet (or double normal coax one - you will need a F -> pushfit converter somewhere anyway so it doesn't really matter - Maplin have both) and relocate the cable modem to somewhere near your new outlet. Then go and buy a wireless router (make sure you get the non-ADSL variety) connect it to the cable modem and, hey presto, thats the whole house sorted for t'Internet.

11. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    I think what I will do is probe the sealent and see if there is room to pull a second cable through. I want to leave the one thats there already in there without disturbing it ideally I think. I reckon if I push a coathanger or similar through it then I can try to pull a second coax though. Then get a dummy wall blx thingy with an aerial face plate and plug into that, next to the existing cable oulet box. Then just run a length of coax behind the desk to the Freeview box. Then reseal and all is done I reckon :)