Just had to update Sony Alpha A100K........Scary!!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by icemanonline, Jan 24, 2008.

1. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    :eek: Yip........Just done 1st update of the sony a100K to · Firmware Ver. 1.04 ........From Here http://support.sony-europe.com/dime...are/firmware.asp?l=en&m=DSLR-A100&f=A100_V104

Bit scary.......looking at the instructions then downloading the file to a memory card.......then make sure you have a full battery :eek: it says!..........then...... copying the files to the compact flash card.:rolleyes:....... then comes the final moment!!!:confused:

You click the flash card into the socket..... turn on the camera and when asked.....move the arrow left to the "Yes" option..........then take a breath and .......OK!... blue line slowly creeps towards 100% all the while telling you not to switch off ........and finally it finishes. "Update Complete." :smashin:

Only really lasted a few seconds but seemed longer........whooooosh was probably more like it ........but these updates are scary....:)

Anyhoo.............:D Till the next 1

icemanonline

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787

Little different to any other firmware upgrade I have done. No more or less scary.

3. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    It wasn't scary Loz..............

I was bored:boring: and had to do something so I updated the camera software and thought I would fire up a wee bit on how it COULD have been scary for someone who has NOT done this before....... U no:confused:

Newbie!! perhaps...... :rolleyes:

It maybe no less scary to you cos you have probably done this a few times before as have I..... But.....for someone who hasn't it maybe........ SCARY!

As it is.......its just another thread on a photography forum that whiles the night away........:boring:

thanks for the comments though....:smashin: Noted!!

icemanonline

4. stroberaver

stroberaver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Make your mind up. :)

As loz says, no more or less scary than updating the firmware on anything else. Sure there's the potential to kill them camera, but you'd have to be a complete numpty to ignore all the warnings or switch it off when it explicitly says not to.

I've updated my A100 twice and although there's always a fear in the back of your mind that the progress bar is never going to get there, it always has done so far. :)

5. dfrear

dfrear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    The fun part is when it just completely fails, had that happen a few times on phones, DVD Writers etc. Trying to fix a messed up firmware flash is not entertaining, although if your lucky you can just flash the old firmware back onto the device.

I wonder how you'd do that with a camera, as the flashing process appears to be done via the actual software? Do you just insert the CF and it asks you if you want to upgrade or do you need to go through the camera's menu system to find "upgrade" or something similar?

6. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Flashing PC's BIOS's years ago from floppy disks, with terrible instructions and obscure files which you where never 100% sure are the right ones - expensive motherboards routinely ended up on their way to the landfill site - now that was SCARY :(

I thought the A100 was easy peasy, they make firmware updates much safer and simpler these days.

7. TrevorC

TrevorC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One of the first things that I did when I got my new A100 (2 weeks ago) was to update the firmware to 1.04. However, I couldn't find a version history outlining the changes and benefits from upgrading from Ver. 1.02 that was previously on there.

8. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    What does the update do?

9. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,856
    It scares you:laugh:

10. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Direct off Sony's website (where the update link is):

With this update, the camera will support the lens information (focal length) display of the Zoom Lens DT 55-200mm F4-5.6

However, it does more than that. Certainly the AF is faster and noise is reduced. There have been other reports of changes, but the OP would have to go to DPReview (Sony) and check them out or Dyxum. It's a free upgrade and takes a moment to do. Well worth it (IMHO).

11. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Sharp as a knife! :rotfl:

12. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    "Make your mind up!"

The original part was witten as a laugh stroberaver! As if it was someone new doing it for the 1st time.....U no? Newbie and all......1st timer at something NEW........Yes? Get it now? :suicide:

The 2nd was back at Loz saying I had done updates before........not scary for me...... and lastly, again saying it could be scary for someone who has NOT DONE IT BEFORE!!!......... so Yes! I did make up my mind but clearly you didn't get it....... Did yi get it this time stroberaver? :) Good

now,back to the CHILL pills......:boring:

icemanonline

13. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hi Pirate........Yes it was well worth doing and yes it was easy....

Thanks for outlining what the update actually does......:smashin:

Got the new Sigma 24-70 f2.8 ex from OSD today.........Fast delivery! paid Monday I think and it arrived this morning.......faster than Royal mail these days....... Anyway, big lense .......just wish this crappy weather would go away and the sun would come out even for a while.......just to get out! :)

Cheers

icemanonline :devil: