1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Had My PDP436XDE ISF Calibrated

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mremulator, Oct 27, 2005.

1. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Well... tonight I had my 436 ISF calibrated and I was initially very surprised with the results.

The 2 HDMI inputs (3 & 4), RGB input (1) and component input (2) have all been calibrated separately; the job took just over 3 hours.

The biggest surprise was that the correct basic colour setting for HDMI is "0", not "-8" and certainly not "-12" :eek: The contrast is "34" but can go to "38" without causing any problems (blooming/crushing), brightness is "0", sharpness is "-8" and tint "0". Other adjustments were made to CYMK & RGB, which obviously affect the picture.

I learned tonight that it is impossible to adjust your basic colour settings when watching sky for example, as the broadcast material varies drastically. Yes the colour seems high on outside broadcasts for example, where the camera has not been properly calibrated, however, as soon as it cuts back to the studio the picture looks correct and natural - Sky News etc.

RGB is slightly different, contrast is "38", colour is "-2", brightness is "+2", sharpness is "-8" and tint is "0". In addition, changes were made to CYMK & RGB etc.

Pro Adjust settings (global) are as follows:
    Pure Cinema - standard for everything except for HDMI, which is set to "ADV". The standard setting helps prevent interlacing artefacts on Sky (RGB - input 1) and is greyed out when watching PAL DVD's via HDMI. When watching NTSC DVD's the "ADV" setting stops judder 100% - no BS :)
    DNR: Off
    DRE: Off
    Black Level: On
    CTI: Off
    Gamma: 3
    ACL: Off

There seems little point in posting the other advanced colour settings, as other 436's and DVD players are going to be different to mine.

Anyway, all looks pretty good to me and Gordon certainly knows his stuff for sure :cool: Thanks Gordon!!!!

It's going to take me a while to get my head around the colour setting though.

2. jbaker

jbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Before you had it calibrated were you generally happy with the picture and therefore shocked at how much better it looked afterwards? My 436 is due to arrive next week and I'm pondering having it calibared when I can afford. But If I get the set and think 'wow, that looks great', I'll be wondering whether it's worth shelling out. How much does it cost?
    I guess the ultimate question is 'was it worth what you paid to have it calibrated?
    Many thanks

3. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I always wondered, *what if* you had an ISF calibration and very little tweaking was needed (ie you had the right settings anyway) - do you get a refund? ;)

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    What if you took your car for blueprinting and they spent hours doing the work to get you a 5% increase in performance...would you ask for your money back? Would you expect to get your money back?

The point of calibration is to make the device adhere measurably more accurately to the specifications for our television system. This will give a visibly more accurate image. Undoubtedly some systems are further away from optimal compared to others but the time taken to achieve the same end result is the same regardless.

P.S. I have NEVER come across any system that has the correct settings. If I did, on initial measurement, I would just say "good job" and leave without charge...no refund required.

Gordon

5. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I thought that would probably be the case :D

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to put you down or anything...I mean, there are a lot of people on here singing your praises...they can't all be wrong :)

6. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon

Whats, Blueprinting?

I had my motor tuned with Bluefin.

Blimey, what a difference, and it was fast before. It now runs like a dream and fuel economy has improved also.

If ISF calibration does this for a plasma (and I'm sure it does) I would have no problems parting with the money (once I've decided on which Plasma that is). :oops:

Gerald. :thumbsup:

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Meant to ask, Gerald, what are you driving? This is of course a relevant question...

8. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'm just happy that I know for a fact that it's right. I was not really happy with it before and that's precisely why I called Gordon in. And yes you can really notice the difference

9. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Maw

Nothing fancy I,m afraid. Despite having the dosh to buy better (my brother drives Mercedes) I have been driving Fords for the last 10 yrs.

The reason is simple, I don't believe in chucking my money away. I get 30% discount on Fords as a relative works for them. I keep them 9 months and then sell them and buy new again. It allows me to always have a new car for about a grand a year on average, sort of like a lease I guess.

The present monster is a Mondeo Titanium X. It's a cross between (mongrel) the Sports ST Tdci and the Ghia X Tdci. Cost £15.6K instead of the retail of £22.6K!!

It works for me though. It drives beautifully, very comfy with all the toys.
    after tuning it does 0 to 60Mph in under 8 Secs. Believe it or not, it also does 47mpg driven fairly briskly.

This is my philosophy in life generally. I don't mind spending money, but I do like to get a reasonable deal.

Now..................... Is the Fuji a Mercedes and the Panasonic a Ford? :confused:

Or........

Is the Panasonic a Mercedes in Ford clothing? :devil:

Gerald. :thumbsup:

P.S. and if so, which model parades as a Rolls

P.P.S Have access to a van.

10. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    blueprinting is having an ehgine built/machined to the exacy design spec not within the parameters of tolerance so it should in theory be much more efficiant/powerful than the varying outputs of off the shelf standard engines.
    Hence the term blueprinting, how old are you jetjockey? im suprised in your line of work you have never heard the phrase

11. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nick.

Well that would be telling :rolleyes:

Lets just say I am celebrating my 40th year for the ninth time!! :(

Re the blueprinting............Never heard of it.

Used to be in engineering but always electronic as opposed to mechanical.
    Now fly jets not mess with em, so a bit of a stranger to the term I guess.

Funnily enough - aparrently the BluFin unit I purchased for my car does just what you say. It supplies a more "ideal" engine management "map" thus releasing more power from the engine. I wonder if there is a link between the term Blueprinting and the name BluFin?? :confused:

Anyway, all interesting stuff. :boring:

Cheers, Gerald. :)