Just had HD installed, how long have I got to return it

freebo

Standard Member
Hi,
I've just had HD installed and am suffering from the fan noise issue others have reported, Sky are coming to "take a look" on Sunday but the girl on the phone basically said "they all do that". If they can't give me an acceptably quiet box I want to cancel, does anyone know what the cooling off period is?

To be honest I wouldn't be upset to loose it, I got it to go with my new Pioneer 428XD plasma, but the TV does such a great job with SD that the difference on the HD channels is not that great.

I previously had Sky+ which wasn't silent but way quieter than this, the new box can clearly be heard even with the TV on from 12 feet away :rolleyes:, tried disabling anytime, powering off for 30 mins and 2 forced updates to no effect.

Thanks,

Mike

RickyVilla

Freebo, welcome to my world :)

Have a look a few threads down and you will see my story as well. Apparently its 28 days. My HD box 'whines' a lot, a strange pitch sound that goes through my head like a drill.

freebo

Standard Member
Thanks Ricky,
Do you have an engineer booked? I'll let you know how I get on with mine, as I said if it can't be made quiet its going back.

Mike

RickyVilla

No engineer booked. I got the box from ebay so am going through the process of having it picked up and sent back.

To be honest I have not been overwhelmed by HD. I think I have made the decision to stick with Sky+ for the moment and see what happens a year or two down the line. I'm hoping that Sky will drop the HD sub as I am only a week into the contract.

Good luck mate

pwood

If you can't tell the difference between HD and SD or dont think it worth the outlay then you might as well cancel. Fan noise is annoying but since going round the bend with the buzz from my plasma I'm just living with it as all HD boxes make noise. I did turn of instant rewind of live tv as the constant clicking was just too much and I dont really use the facility.

whsturm

Novice Member
I had exactly the same problem as you after my SKY HD was installed. The box was so noisy I had to turn the TV up to drown it out (and if often seemed to keep the hard disk spinning well after it was 'off'). Even my wife could hear it from 18 feet away on our sofa!

I phoned SKY and complained (and told them I would have to cancel if it couldn't be sorted). They sent an engineer out and he brought one of the new 4E3007 models (I believe it has a Western Digital hard drive). This is a fantastic improvement and I'm now happy. Some noise is noticeable within a couple of feet but is is not intrusive even then (and my SKY HD box sits on an open glass rack).

I'd suggest you try getting SKY to upgrade your box to one of the newer ones (assuming you have the older model). You can tell which model you have got by looking in the Services menu (sorry can't remember exactly where and I'm not at home to look it up - I think it is on the same screen as the software version). If it says 4E3006 you have the older version.

Personally I was amazed at the difference between the two versions of the SKY HD box and am now happy with the noise (or lack of).

aliasojo

Novice Member
They sent an engineer out and he brought one of the new 4E3007 models (I believe it has a Western Digital hard drive). This is a fantastic improvement

Personally I was amazed at the difference between the two versions of the SKY HD box and am now happy with the noise (or lack of).

Just to add to this, I had HD installed on Monday and I was really apprehensive about it arriving as our existing Thomson Sy+ made a very intrusive whining noise and it got to the point that I unplugged the box to shut it up more often than not. I was really concerned the HD would be the same or worse. We also have a family member with a disibility and noise is a real problem for them.

However, we got the 4E30007 with the Western Digital hard drive and I have to put my ear right beside the box to make sure it's on as it's so quiet. Even with Anytime and instant rewind on, there's no noise and to say we're delighted is an understatement.

If the noise really bothers you (as it did me) then don't accept a noisy box. It IS possible to get a quiet one, no matter what the customer services lot say.

Btw, I think the cooling off period is 30 days.

freebo

Standard Member
Just to add to this, I had HD installed on Monday and I was really apprehensive about it arriving as our existing Thomson Sy+ made a very intrusive whining noise and it got to the point that I unplugged the box to shut it up more often than not. I was really concerned the HD would be the same or worse. We also have a family member with a disibility and noise is a real problem for them.

However, we got the 4E30007 with the Western Digital hard drive and I have to put my ear right beside the box to make sure it's on as it's so quiet. Even with Anytime and instant rewind on, there's no noise and to say we're delighted is an understatement.

If the noise really bothers you (as it did me) then don't accept a noisy box. It IS possible to get a quiet one, no matter what the customer services lot say.

Btw, I think the cooling off period is 30 days.
Thanks all, thing we have the 4E30007, I'm not so bothered about the Hard Drive noise (although I can hear that when 2 recodings are happening) its the fan noise, constant whirring and really noticeable.

Cheers,

Mike

RickyVilla

The fan noise is the problem with mine. Hard drive noise doesn't bother me (I work by a computer with 4 hard drives all day... :))

My fan on the HD box has an incredible high pitch whine to it. It makes itself heard in all conditions, once my brain is tuned into it its like torture. The problem is that it is installed in my bedroom and it wakes me up. My Sky+ box never woke me up, despite not being very quiet.

dazza1011

Novice Member
mine was very noisy when i first got it but left it on and overnight it stopped dont know whether it was an update or what but hey ho:thumbsup:

RickyVilla

Just a quick update on my problem (high pitch whine). I got annoyed with the situation yesterday and had a proper investigation. The whine is being caused by vibration. I can stop it by raising it off the surface, but just in certain places.

I've ordered some polipods to really do a proper job on it but its looking better.

mickyh

Standard Member
Hi there
i got my hd box in april through an independant dealer,during the first 2 or 3 days the drive was going mental even in standby, i thought this can't be right and phoned the dealer, he said it was the box updating and should stop soon.
Anyway i think it was about 3 days and it stopped and have had no problem with this since,i think its mainly to do with upgrading and loading content for sky anytime as this feature had just arrived when i got my hd box.
Hope this is some use.

aftertaste

To be honest I wouldn't be upset to loose it, I got it to go with my new Pioneer 428XD plasma, but the TV does such a great job with SD that the difference on the HD channels is not that great.
Maybe the TV isn't doing a good job with SD, but is doing a bad job with HD. On a Bravia, for example, SD looks as good as I've seen it on a LCD. But HD is still a massive massive difference. I find it hard watching non-HD football now...

D-an-W

One of my fans wasn't installed properly when I got my box way back, I reseated it and haven't heard a peep from them since...

freebo

Standard Member
Just a quick update, the engineer replaced the box on Sunday, he agreed it was very loud, the new one is much quieter.

Thanks for all the replies,

Mike

bungee

Standard Member
Interesting thread, I have an HD box which is getting progressively louder I dont know if its the fan or Drive but it carries on all the time even when on standby and only stops when I turn the box off. not good when SWMBO requires the volume to be at a minimum. I will be ringing sky in the next couple of days and if they dont do something I will definately cancel HD at the end of my first year...Christmas. I cant go on with this, I have a sky+ box in the bedroom which maks no noise at all.

Heres hoping

S

sjwoodman

Hi,

I've just had HD installed and have found out I've got one of the 4E3006 boxes - it is very noisy! It's obtrusive from 10 feet away sat on the sofaand sounds like fan noise rather than disk noise. Does anyone know what I need to tell customer services in order to get it replaced?

Cheers,

Si.

whsturm

Novice Member
I had a 'long' debate with the lady on customer services and explained that it was louder than my PC and laptop (which have fans) and so loud that I had to turn up the volume of the TV to 'drown it out'. She explained that some noise was normal and even asked me what 'number' my volume control was turned up to (as if she could magically deduce from this whether my Rotel amplifier was correctly set)! It may have been my threat that I would have to cancel because of the noise that finally got her to agree to send an engineer (I'm not sure) but I'm afraid the only advice I can offer is 'persistence'.

At the end of the day you are only asking for an engineer to come out and check that the noise is 'normal' .. equipped with a suitable replacement if not. Polite but firm should achieve this reasonable request. It has definitely been worth it for me as the wife no longer complains of 'noise'.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom