Just had HD installed and needing some advice....

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dasovic, Jan 5, 2007.

1. dasovic

dasovic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD has been set up to my Pioneer 436XDE. I have a couple of questions that I can't find answers for on the forums :-

1. Should I set the HD box to 720; 1080 or automatic ?

2. I have the box set up through the HDMI cable. It is also set up through the SCART. When I watch HD programmes through the HDMI they look excellent, however the non SD programmes (e.g. BBC1) look better (less red) and clearer when I watch them through the Scart lead. I was going to remove the Scart lead but can't really until I sort out the non HD HDMI picture. Have I set it up wrongly ?

That's about it ! Thanks for any help.

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    1) Try them all and see which you prefer

2) You have found what many others before you have also discovered - the Sky HD box is pretty average at de-interlacing SD material. The electronics in your plasma are better at doing this, which is why the picture looks better when viewed through the SCART

3. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    1. Try all 3 and see what works for you! Personally I have mine set to 1080i, others swear by automatic:rolleyes:
    2.Try component rather than scart - you may be amazed :D however for HD content best to stick with HDMI

enjoy the new toy :hiya:

4. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Hi

I've used SCART, HDMI and component on exactly the same setup (see sig).

My findings are:

I use auto for HD output.

For SD material yes SCART via RGB is marginally better than HDMI.

Had a long spell on component (during the feared HDCP bug) and think HDMI is just better than component for HD.

RGB SCART for SD is still better than component.

BUT I basically use HDMI 100% now! More from convenience than anything else.

As others have said, no right and wrong answer - have a play and use what you decide is best.

5. athelstan

athelstan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I defy anyone to show me any difference in quality on HD pictures between component and HDMI. I have a high quality HDMI lead connected directly to the screen and a component going into the screen through a pioneer receiver. Is there something wrong with my eyes? I keep seeing people on here happily stating " Had a long spell on component (during the feared HDCP bug) and think HDMI is just better than component for HD" and the like and frankly I'm sceptical.