Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Just had an offer accepted on a house, need advice now!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mjn, Sep 6, 2005.

1. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,855
    First time buyers, just looking for any pitfalls really, that we may have missed!

Thanks

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    Get a thorough surveyors report and try and accumulate a vast budget for the things you forget you are going to need.

The finalising bit of the deal can be stressful- be careful to check the process regularly but don't yell at people if it seems to be taking a while- it just does. Make sure that your legal aspects are all covered- right of way etc.

You might also want to look for removal quotes now as well.

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,707
    legally the sellers have to tell if they have had any disputes with any of the neighbours, maybe you shoudl find this out? also make a few trips down there at night time, and check out if it is noisy etc , best of luck!

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    if they haven't already, ask the agents and owners to take the house off the market and not to show anyone else around.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Triple-check that both sets of attorneys have the correct details of both parties. Our exchange day got delayed several times because attorneys screwed up the paperwork. One clown-show spelt our surname incorrectly 3 times.......:mad:

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,855
    Thanks, will keep that in mind!

No chance of showing anybody else round the house, the seller has gone to Crypus for a week! He's moving out there, which is the reason he's selling.

7. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,223
    Get a list of everything they intend to take or will leave.
    Some estate agents have pro formas so the seller shouldn't be offended by thinking it's something you have dreamed up because you don't trust them.
    This list will cover things you may have agreed upon such as carpets, curtains etc. But will also cover things you may not have thought of - or expected, like shrubs, plants, strips of lawn?, light bulbs, door knobs even removable wallpaper.
    I have heard of these things happening.
    If you complete a list there will be no misunderstandings. You can make a joke of it and blame the estate agent/solicitor for making you do it.

Congrats and good luck :thumbsup:

8. sianbelton

sianbelton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This list of everything that will remain with the house will come up in your solicitors requirements anyway, its a legal document that has to be carried out. Once this is done, then you can ask to buy something that you would like you know he is taking away.

However, when purchasing for the first time, things that I just didn't think off that I wish I had.... does it have central heating (I spent 11 years freezing in winters as no body was interested in the job, too difficult), if not get a quote in so you know what it is going to cost. Does it have double glazing? These make huge differences.

What council tax band are they so you know what mandatory bills to expect!

Have they had any works done on the property over the last two years and if so what, and do they have the relevant certificates. Whilst this may be more their problem than yours, had I known I needed all of this when I was selling my first pad, it would not have taken me 9 months to complete - it was a hugh learning curve.

Find out if it is freehold or leasehold. If leasehold what are the annual costs i.e. insurance, ground rent and maintenance (if any). Some leasehold properties wont allow you animals, so if you want any, get it checked out.

Check out to make sure you have full access to the garden (if it has one - as I didn't have any legal access to my own garden).

Full reports on the house are definately a must to find out if there are any major problems, but try not to take it right to its last word, as most surveyors really got to town so they don't get any come back with claims after. i.e. you would think the house was falling down, but you'll find that will happen with most.

Most of all remember that nothing is bullet proof. Whenever you buy a new pad you will always find problems arise that will really irritate you, but just try and put a little money aside for such events so you don't have any little surprises.

Good luck. :smashin:

9. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was going to point this out....

I sh*t myself thinking that the roof was going to cave in and the chimny was going to fall off...

I asked him on the phone, what I really had to do to these. He just said keep an eye on these as the problems were "historic" and there was no issue now.

Serves me right for buying a 1890's cottage!!!

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,855
    Thanks! :)

Yeah, pretty much already done whats been listed above! So it should be smooth sailing now.....if the solictors actually do anything!

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I've just sold my house an was amazed to find that the surveyor had told the mortgage company that the house would need to be checked by a Structual Engineer.

Anyway, he came out, found nothing wrong with the house at all (which I already knew :rolleyes: ) - when I as talking to him he says he's getting a lot of this type of work as the surveyors are so worried about getting sued in the future that even the slighest crack in the motar can be enough to demand a structural engineer :rolleyes:

John

12. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +13,642
    Am in the same boat myself :eek: - though waiting for the offer to be accepted!!

Have gone for a discount that takes it below the magic number for 1% stamp duty - and considering coming to a further financial arrangement with the vendor where I save on the additional stamp duty and he saves on the additional estate agent's commission..... anyone else done this / how did you go about it???

13. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I'm pretty sure that there are measures in place to try and stop people doing 'deals' to avoid stamp duty by, for example, making sure that the vendor lists exactly what is being left in the property so it's taken into account for the valuation so you don't try to get the house for say 10K less and the pay the owner seperately for 'fixtures and fittings'.

The details I've had to give go to the far end of fart in specifiying what is included in the sale price right down to the picture hooks :eek:

John

14. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,855
    Yeah, there is now a legal document which has to be completed, to stop people "paying" just under the stamp duty threshold, and then handing over the rest in cash.