1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just had a demo of Sony's HS2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GrahamC, May 30, 2003.

1. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Just had a demo of the Sony HS2 and must say that it was a lot better than I had imagined it would be, a definite sleeper of a projector. In less than ideal viewing conditions it displayed a nice even picture across the screen with just a hint (and I do mean a hint, of panel structure on fleeting occasions). I was sat a little closer than ideal with to high a level of ambient light.

Even with these imperfections, brightness was more than adequate and the colour was very uniform and nicely saturated. The opening scenes in X-Men at the labour camp are almost monotone but the little Sony did a great job with them. The unit is almost silent in use and presentation of this projector is great both on screen and as unit, which for the price should not be dismissed because like I said earlier a bit of a sleeper.

A lot more hub bub is made for Sony’s HS10, Sanyo’s Z1 and the Penny’s AE300 all with some merit but the one thought that grabbed me with this demo and that is just how high the display quality bar is. For 2k and lower (a lot lower) a fun time can be had with films. Now all I need to do is find a Panny AE300 on demo, not easy.

So two thumbs fresh for the Sony :smashin: :smashin:

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Graham,

I also saw a demo of a HS2 recently and thought it was a step-change improvement over the HS1.

Most impressive was it's near silence - it remains to be seen whether a compromise is being made between quiet running and long-term heat damage across the present range of projectors, from the AE100 onwards. WHile the HS10 may be classed as noisier than some of the current crop, it's heat management (5 fans internally, see Kramers seminal thread) seems more advanced than others. I guess only time will tell, but I thought the HS2 threw a very good image with decent contrast and excellent uniformity and thought longingly of having something that quiet in my movie room.

Will be interested to read yourcomparison with the AE300 - it's also reputed to be quiet, the extra resolution and Smoothscreen technology may make an impact.

All the best,

Sean G.

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi theritz

I am of like mind with you on the question of heat with not just projectors but computers (2 on most of the day), Hi-Fi and normal CRT TV. With all the bits and bobs of electrical stuff that I use I decided that it would be easer to keep ambient room temps cooler than try and funnel cool air to each bit of kit. This is the reason I am trying to developing a media room for my next upgrade.

The room I plan to use is generally the coolest room in the house and if I can dig up some air con as well it should be just peachy. The hardest part of this is trying to land on a set of equipment, which fits the bill as well as budget. As you know this can be fun as well as frustrating but I am getting to the final stages I think. Anyway back to browsing mags and the net to see if I can find a 300 somewhere in the Northwest.:)

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    But I purchased the Sony HS2 last week.

Its a very very good projector with a really good even picture, has zero banding, reasonable contrast and a quiet fan.

However, one thing lets it down and that is the screen door. Its very noticable and even a slight defocus fails to remove it.
    I did not really notice it at first, but its very apparent on faces/flesh colours and whites.

Today, I returned the Sony as my local dealer offered a 10 day no quible exchange or refund option so I bought the Panny AE300.

I have not had much of a look yet as I have had a busy day/ evening but its very very good. Thankfully, out of the box its got no dead pixels, a nice even picture and the fan is actually quieter than both the Z1 and the HS2 which really is saying something.

I will post more when less tired, but first week back at work after 5 odd weeks off after an op has left me tired and I am finding it hard to stare at the monitor.....:boring:

If I were you, certainly consider the Panny over the Hs2, but as you rightly point out it is a nice Pj, for the less dicerning viewer perhaps seeking plug and play cinema.

Hope this helps.

Captain Benefit.

5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Time to change the sig again Captain!

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Ahoy Captain (sorry)

I think we agree on the pluses and minuses of the HS2 Captain and I am certainly looking to demo the AE300 before I make a decision on which projector to buy. A few words by you on the AE300 would be welcome. If the Panny is quieter than the HS2 it must be just about silent which is a major plus for me, along with an easy set up as it will probably not be a fixed positioning. :cool:

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Captain Benefit

I thought I had gone t rough some pj's recently but I think you win the prize. 3 projectors in as many weeks (or is that days :) )

I know how hard it is to find the right one as,IMO, the perfect pj still does not exist. Here's hoping that one day........

Enjoy your AE3000. I hope it all works out.

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the HS2 on a few recent occassions - thought the level of pixel structure (screendoor) was horrendous :eek:

Not ideal conditions granted, but I could envisage the "effect" being even worse in optimum viewing conditions :(

AE100 at half the price is a far better PJ in every respect (longevity aside) IMHO.

:smoke:

9. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hello Kramer

All down to a persons sensitivity to any given effect I suppose. I personally did not find the effect that intrusive and defiantly would not find it ‘horrendous’ even if it had showed itself more often. As you say no projector is perfect and its all about pluses and minuses. Weighing it up about £1400 on the Sony HS2 or £1400 on a new CRT TV, guess which I would have.

The search goes on.

10. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    To be honest, the screen door only really became apparent after about 3 or 4 days of use within my darkened AV room. As I said, it was too apparent on flesh and white and even a soft defocus failed to shift it which was a real shame as for me, that was the only reason that the unit had to go.
    Aside from this, the HS2 had a great cinematic picture, that actually beat the Z1, especially using 2-3 pull down.

The other thing that helped me decide was the fact that it did not have a direct component input so I was going to order a sony component multi which was a staggering £111.00, which I couldnt really afford at present.

So far so good with the Panansonic, the smooth screen technology works to a degree, and you really need your nose against the screen to see any screendoor.
    My seat is 13 foot away so its a nice smooth image.

The menu system is far more intrusive than the Sanyo or Sony menu. There are loads of options, and even using it out of the box, the picture options, i.e cinema , sports, music etc seem fine although I will calibrate in the future.

Finally, I feel idiotic about having three different projectors in as many weeks, but as a consumer I have made mistakes in the past and I have learnt from them.
    A friend asked how I was enjoying the Sony and I told him that it had gone back in exchange. When he asked why, I told him that I was 90% happy with, which was not enough for me considering the money spent.

Oh and sig changed, thanks for the heads up :D

Regards to all,

Captain Benefit.

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, quite, but screendoor isn't as subjective as other traits IMO. It's simply there or it isn't. It's acceptable or it isn't.

Other aspects such as noise, colour rendition, CR, brightness etc...all vary much more depending on who's opinion is given, but as I said, IMO, screendoor is less subjective.

Having said that, I'm coming from a HS10 "point of view" with practically no screendoor on an 8' screen - those with older VGA PJs might find the HS2 an improvement in this department.

Not trying to upset any HS2 owners but better PJs are available at this price point (& below) - that was the main intention of my post.

:smoke:

12. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Kramer...

What wold you recommend in a) LCD and b) DLP technologies in the sub £2K range ?

Apart from the HS10 off course .....;)

13. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I certainly don't think anyone would think you idiotic. I have found it almost impossible to choose a pj without at least living with one for a week, and even then I've changed my mind a few times.

I think the problem is no one pj is perfect. Every one has some 'fault' or other, be it poor blacks, screen door, noise, whatever and it's difficult to weigh up one downside against another. I also find once you make your mind up and choose, the things on the other pjs that were against it suddenly pale and you begin to think, well, maybe it wasn't that bad.

I guess that's the beauty of return policies. They are there to be used so good on you for exercising your right and using them. Just so long as you end up with one you are happy with in the end.

Mine should be with me mid to end next week but I won't have the option to return as I have bought from PriceJapan. After much deliberation and false starts/hopes

MT8 - amazing pic quality but gave me severe eyestrain and headaches

Marantz S2 - even better pic quality, no rainbows, but throw distance was wrong (thanks Projector Central :mad:)

HT1000 - Another fantastic image, really smooth, but still seeing rainbows (though no headaches), which spoilt my viewing due to being distracted by them and felt HCPC quality via DVI not that great due to resolution (after MT8)

So, I have deemed that for the next 12 months or so (I hope) I will have to stick with LCD and my choices were

HS10 - too long throw and noise problem (pj situated directly above seating position)

VW12 - fan too noisy

New TW100 - not yet available in UK

So, I have plumped for the Yamaha LPX500. Choice made easier by the fact am getting it for under £2.5k and, tbh, the (old model) TW100 I had was absolutely stunning and can't understand why I didn't just plump for one weeks ago as a low cost filler while waiting for HD3, SXRD or whatever. Are people aware the original TW100 is now available from Ivojo for £2219 - a bit of a bargain me thinks

So only a couple hundred more than the HS10 and I hope it will be on a par image wise. No doubt I will love it or hate it ( :) ) and will post when it arrives and I've had a chance to set it up and play with it.

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I reckon the best choices at the moment have to be

(LCD) TW100 - old model but don't let that put you off viewing it - £2219

(DLP) Sharp XV-Z91 - £1795

15. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah....i saw the Z91 AGAIN today.....

Amazing picture for the price !!!!

16. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Forgot to mention that you can get the Yamaha LPX500 from PJ for about £2400 all in. (That's half UK RRP :eek: )

17. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    has a truly cracking image, but surely buying a PJ with a native 4:3 panel in mid 2003 is a slight backward step ?

I realise that you can switch it to 16.9, but the overscan left a lot to be desired imo.

Cap.

18. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I will get a LCD, only thing is that i am concerned about the panels of the LCD being damaged by the heat from the lamp.

I have seen many threads of people saying the colour uniformity is not good on LCD's

And then there is the stuck pixels:(

I mean i can get and AE300 now, and then like the others wait for DLP to improve...............but it's a lot of money to spend on kit, just to replace it in a years time............i'll do it.......but the missus will not have any of that !!!!:D

So i have to choose once and choose wisely....hence me not owning one yet !!!!:zonked:

Cheers

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Fjorko,

The process of choosing a projector is undoubtedly fraught with many difficulties and choices to be made, as Captaion Benefit and Messiah have shown over the past weeks, and as most PJ owners here will have experienced. But reading this stuff

...........over and over again is becoming tiresome. We know that LCD projectors have issues - All of them. Angst-ridden posts aren't telling us anything we don't already know, or anything that anyone can give you advice on - it's beginning to border on "projector bashing".

Sean G.

20. celtic13

celtic13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Totally agree with the Ritz, I flaffed about for ages, worrying about this and that, is it a waste of money, is it reliable, should I get a plasma etc etc etc. In the end bought an ae300, 4 days ago, it has two duff pixels and is being replaced. did I regret it? Do I ****! I love it...my wife loves it my kids love it - I now wonder why I waited so long. It is the best thing I have bought bar none. So, if it goes wrong I will get it fixed, nothing beats the sheer magic of seeing films projected on a 7.5 ft screen.

I know there are problems with these things - they are not perfect - but get over it and enjoy what they were made for - watching movies.

P

21. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah Yeah ....i get the picture !!!

I'll get one then ....and just enjoy it....

First waiting for my AMP to arrive then maybe next month i'll jump on the band wagon

:boring:

22. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    How about we start a wager as to whether Fjorko will ever get one. I say not :)

23. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'll get one....just you wait..

I'm sure you'll all cheer when i finally do get one huh ?:smashin:

24. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I'll eat my hat (good job I don't wear one eh!) :)