Just got X1950pro....hmmm

joel88

Hi, from the advice of a couple people on here i bought an X1950pro from OCuk.
I uninstalled my 6600 and plugged the x1950 in. Nothing happened. Blank screen. So i tried it in the PCI-E x1 slot and it came on but after the first boot screen i just got a flashing underscore in the middle of the screen, this happened a couple times then it booted ok...only, everything was pink, no colours, only pink.

So after faffing around i could't get it any better, went back to the 6600 and it's all ok. SO, any ideas?

I'm using an A8N Sli-Deluxe board which is an Nvidia chip, would that be anything to do with it? As it's an ATI card? Or is it just faulty? I dont really want to use it if i have that stupid flashing underscore whilst booting.

Do you think i should just stick to an Nvidia card? If so, which is the best equivelant of the X1950. Sorry for the long post, you want to get this all sorted now and play Oblvion on full setting!!! :).

Help me out people!

Razor

IMO it sounds faulty. Return it and buy another. Dont mention its faulty as they will test it etc and it will take longer to get a new card.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
What PSU are you running? Have you connected both molexes up?

joel88

What PSU are you running? Have you connected both molexes up?

Not sure what brand it is but my PSU is 450w, so surely enough? Yea i connected both molexes up. You think it sounds faulty too?

Also, what is the most equivalent Nvidia card to the X1950?
Help much appreciated.

did you uninstall all the nvidia drivers?
did you check that onboard graphics are disabled?
did you re-seat the PCI-e card just to be sure?
is the monitor connected correctly?
did you touch the metal bits and fry it while you were handling it :D ?

joel88

did you uninstall all the nvidia drivers?
did you check that onboard graphics are disabled?
did you re-seat the PCI-e card just to be sure?
is the monitor connected correctly?
did you touch the metal bits and fry it while you were handling it :D ?

Yea i checked all them things, and uninstalled the nvidia drivers.
I must ask, i'm a bit confused about the whole x16 and x1 slots i have. Whats what? The 6600 works in the x16 but the X1950 only showed something in the x1 slot(even though it was all pink!).

I forgot to mention, it only came on in the x1 slot when i unplugged my sound card and USB devices! Is that coincidence or dodgyness?

Kwman

You might need a beefier PSU or You got a dodgy card. I thinks it more towards needing a bigger PSU as I had a similar problem when I bought a 1950 pro. I was running a Silverstone PSU I think 450, I then went and bought a Enermax 600W and that solved the problem for me.

joel88

You might need a beefier PSU or You got a dodgy card. I thinks it more towards needing a bigger PSU as I had a similar problem when I bought a 1950 pro. I was running a Silverstone PSU I think 450, I then went and bought a Enermax 600W and that solved the problem for me.

Oh right ok, i was thinking i needed a new PSU anyway as i wanted to get one which had a PSU power cable attached.

I thought 450w would of been enough though as it says it require 350w for a fully loaded system?

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Which brand/model PSU do you have. The X1950Pro are relatively demanding cards. I use a Corsair HX520 to run mine, although that's probably overkill.

Spinke

Try it without any external power connectors, it should come up with a message saying they're not plugged in. I expect the card is faulty, would send it back for a DOA replacement if I were you.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
If it's a dual rail psu like most modern ones, you need to make sure that each molex is attached to a different rail - ie. they shouldn't both be coming out of the same "tree" coming out of the psu...

joel88

Well here's whats happened now, i went out on my lunchbreak and bought a new 650w PSU(can't remember the make but the guy in the shop said it's decent, i trust him). I forgot to mention, when i ordered my X1950 from OCuk, my mate ordered one with me, but sadly he thought he had PCIe and he hasn't. So, i whacked the new PSU in my PC along with my mates new X1950 and hey presto, everything lights up and i can play Oblivion on a max settings!!!

Not sure if my X1950 was faulty or not(but i think the Pink stuff would say that it is). So, all sorted, i've had my mates X1950 and we'll send mine back. Finally sorted. And my PC is darn quiet now too.

Cheers for all your help people! Forum Thanks left where due.

Razor

Glad to hear its all sorted mate. :smashin:

SeanT

Distinguished Member
It'll be quieter if you buy an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 (about 12 quid from ebuyer) - just installed mine - must do something about the fan in the monitor now!!!

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom