Just got the Samsung 935 DVI,not really impressed

gibbajabba

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have it hooked up to a z2 and ive tried about 5 movies in progressive and they all look too grainy,on one where their was a lot of motion on screen it looked terrible! Before i ordered i was using my chipped xbox through component with the hacked dvd dongle thats progressive enabled for movies and the picture with that is superb in progressive mode,my xbox outputs just as clear but without the grain.I had looked on this forum for a while hoping one of you guys could compare the setups before i ordered the samsung player,for those with the xbox allready running movies in progressive and are considering getting one of these,save your cash i would much rather keep watching em on my xbox!

I am sorry to read about this. I auditioned one of these with my NEC HT1000 through dvi and it was dreadful. I bought a Pioneer 868 in the end. My advice take it back and save up for an 868 and in the meantime use the x box.

Kid Rock

I would like to send it back but i got it from pantheronline and in their terms it says the item has to be unopened,the only way of knowing it was this bad was by opening it and trying it though :confused:

Very strange - it gets an outanding review in this months HCC, but they concentrate on the DVI picture.

Originally posted by gibbajabba
I would like to send it back but i got it from pantheronline and in their terms it says the item has to be unopened,the only way of knowing it was this bad was by opening it and trying it though :confused:

Sorry to hear about your problems m8, but surely under the distance selling act, you have 10 or 14 days to try the product, and for a company to say only unopened items can be returned is stupid, I would call your local trading standards office and check it out m8.

Good luck

Taz

@ paulw77,this is with the dvi connection being used,i ordered it because people were saying it is a good player.I have just mailed panther to see if they will let me return it for a refund but after reading this i doubt it."What happens if I change my mind?

• If you don’t want to keep a product, you have purchased from Panther Online, you can return it within 7 days of purchase.You will have to bear the cost of shipment of the goods two ways as well as a 10% admin cost

• It must be returned unopened in pristine condition, complete with all accessories and any bundled items sealed as new.A refund is only payable once the goods are received and the contents are checked.Panther reserves the right to refuse a refund where parts or accessories or where a product has been opened or used.Panther reserves the right to pay the refund in full.This does not affect your statutory rights. "

:suicide:

HCC often gives great reviews because like many magazines the reviews are bought and paid for with advertising, don't trust magazines is my advice they do lie.

I have it hooked up to a z2 and ive tried about 5 movies in progressive and they all look too grainy

Which movies and from which region?

I'm using a 935 via DVI with a Z200, and other than a green tint on PAL when the region hack is enabled, the picture in 720p is very good, probably better than any component source I've ever seen. However there are some caveats with this player,

The afore mentioned green tint on some PAL source material,
All DVI output modes other than 720p are definitley "grainy" (they're obviously not correctly bypassing the scaler),
There's no 50Hz 720p mode,
Noisy low level black area's are prone to blocking artifacts, although I have heard that this is a common DVI/HDMI problem (players aren't doing the low level black processing that they need to)
The component output isn't the best in the world.
Very little control over picture parameters.

Inspite of these problems for 140 quid I don't think you'll get better at the moment, I have considered upgrading to an 868 but to be honest 800 notes for something that I'm going to use the digital ouput on (i.e. not the expensive bit) is somewhat offputting.

John.

Hi JohnWH

I have a 935 into a Hitachi 500E plasma via DVI, and I find the result excellent better than my Sony 725 component outputs.
I too have noticed very low level black noise, but during actual scenes it disappears only showing the noise on things like titles etc, so not too worried about that. Quite honestly I have to say I can see virtually no difference at all when switching between modes from the 935, and I have not seen any evidence of the grenn tint you have through your machine, but I did spend some time colour matching when first installed.
But most of alal I agree totally with your last paragraph, for £140 its an absolute bargain and a great first try into DVI.

Best regards David

@ paulw77,this is with the dvi connection being used,i ordered it because people were saying it is a good player.I have just mailed panther to see if they will let me return it for a refund but after reading this i doubt it."What happens if I change my mind?

• If you don’t want to keep a product, you have purchased from Panther Online, you can return it within 7 days of purchase.You will have to bear the cost of shipment of the goods two ways as well as a 10% admin cost

• It must be returned unopened in pristine condition, complete with all accessories and any bundled items sealed as new.A refund is only payable once the goods are received and the contents are checked.Panther reserves the right to refuse a refund where parts or accessories or where a product has been opened or used.Panther reserves the right to pay the refund in full.This does not affect your statutory rights. "

:suicide:

Isn't that breaking the law?

If you bought it over the net you can return it for any (e.g. I didn't like the colour!) reason (providing its still in as new condition) within 7 days. Don't think they can charge a restocking fee.

I'd have a fish about on the net for the distance selling regs and stick it back at them because it sounds like they're pulling a fast one.

Originally posted by Mr. Wilby
Isn't that breaking the law?

If you bought it over the net you can return it for any (e.g. I didn't like the colour!) reason (providing its still in as new condition) within 7 days. Don't think they can charge a restocking fee.

I'd have a fish about on the net for the distance selling regs and stick it back at them because it sounds like they're pulling a fast one.

Agreed, like I said, the t's & c's they are quoting sound like they are against the law.

Taz

Hi guys,ive tried more dvds and found the picture can be good,about the same as the xbox on progressive through component.Ive decided i might aswell keep it,at least its not as bad as i first thought and hey it looks nice :p Learnt me and some of you a lesson allways read the terms and conditions before handing over your cash just incase.

GJ, whats it like thru the component leads m8, any chance of comparing, as I need a New dvd player with progressive out, but having a AE100 at the mo, cant take advantage of the DVI only Component

Thanks

Mark

There's a lot of hoo'ing and indeed haa'ing about the Distance Selling Act, it came up recently in the LCD/DLP Proj Forum. Allow me to play devils advocate for a second, this isn't directed at anyone and is only presented in the interests of balancing the discussion.

How many of us here would be happy if we paid full whack for something then when it was delivered it became obvious that it had been opened, unpacked, used, the manual had been pawed over etc.? I'm sure I'd feel pretty hacked off, I would wonder what was up with it and why I hadn't got it cheaper. Wouldn't you?

Soooo.... what exactly are the retailers supposed to do with all this stuff that's been opened, tried out and people have decided against and returned? Should they sell it cheaper? Why? It's the customer that's changed their mind.

That's why the distance selling laws (as I understand them) specify that something must be returned unused and "as new" (i.e. unopened).

I do sympathise with people who consider sending something back when it isn't as good as they hoped, I've been there myself, but I don't think the Distance Selling Act provides you with much help.

I'm slowly learning that buying on-line is ok when you know the product you're buying will definetly do what you want, will look/sound good in your system, ideally you'll have already tried out a mate's or something. But if the first time you try it is when you've paid your hard earned and it turns up - you're heading for problems.

Again these are just my thoughts and I'm not having a go at anyone. :smashin:

If only dealers with the ability for home demos etc. were a bit cheaper/more common. :rolleyes:

P.S. I'm not a retailer or connected with one in any way.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom