1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got the Pioneer DBR TF100

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Crocodile JD, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I went for the Pioneer over the weekend-

I needed both S-video and RGB out. This was one of the main reasons for going with the Pioneer and within 15 minutes it was tuned in and hooked up to both my TV via RGB enabled scart and my PJ via S-vid enabled scart.

Connection:

Can't stand scart connectors, there is more cable and connector than box, the box is pretty small. Most of the time was taken up with cable routing. I havn't connected the Optical audio out yet (need a longer Toslink cable), instead I've used a scart to scart + 2 phono (RCA) from the S-vid enabled scart with the phonos connecting to my HC reciever. This gives me the option of sound from my HC reciever whether watching TV or PJ. If I don't want to bother turning HC reciever on when watching TV, the sound (still stereo) is still connected via the RGB enabled scart. Anyway for those that are worried about the lack of RCAs that's the option if you want to connect to an amp that doesn't have optical in.

First impressions:

PQ on TV - Generally very good, very sharp and colours very vivid. Even channel 5 is as clear as all the other channels for the first time ever for me. On digital PQ over the analogue PQ (for BBC1 and 2, ITV1 and channel 4 only) I would say the colours seem more vivid although the image does seem to look almost over sharpened at times, the analogue being smoother.

PQ on PJ - Well it's only S-vid, although I use S-vid for DVD as well at the moment with suprisingly fantastic results. The TV images are not suprisingly anything like as good as DVD images. Having said that, they are still much better than I've seen in any of the many Pubs with front projection. Admittedly I was viewing in a much lower light than is practical in the pub, but I didn't see any of the typical ghosting you get from badly calibrated CRT's, or is it Sky pictures that are to blame? I did get the odd bit of localized pixelation for about a second every so often, Perhaps not more than 2 or 3 times in an hour.

Setup - Tuning was a doddle and a quick squint at the manual was all that was need to set up for widescreen default (which is reversable via a quick key press on the remote) and to enable the right output for the scarts etc.

Menus - Very easy to navigate channels, lots of info, although I can't compare because it's my first delve into freeview. I need to play around a bit more yet but if anything starts to bug me after a while I'll let you know.

that's it for now

cheers

Croc

P.S. Champions League and Rugby World Cup on 8ft Screen - Yes!

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Croc,

I've got one too, and i love it. Much better PQ & SQ then many of the sub £100 boxes around.

Cheers

Cosmic023

3. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that Croc, I put one in last week and was trying to figure how to get an audio signal into my Meridian 568 as the Denon 2900 hogs the optical input. Cheers.

4. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the receiver a bit large however the software was spot on.