Just got Sky today! no internet yet tho :(

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by adamCCC, Nov 29, 2010.

1. adamCCC

adamCCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    hello,

just got sky+hd in this morning but the internet isnt on yet. The engineer did say it could take anything from 2 minutes to 4 hours, and that lights would flash amber then turn to green. (currently the internet light isnt lit at all)

Its been over two hours now and nothing has even flashed amber, I know he stated 4 hours, but when do these things ever take that long!

was just wondering if this was the case for anyone else?

thanks

2. adamCCC

adamCCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    o dear, spelling mistake in the title :( got a new keyboard and it isnt going well lol

3. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    The up to 4 hours thing is the time Sky usually quote for your channels to come on for your subscription on the Sky Box, often they come on almost instantly.

Broadband is a completely seperate issue? When did you order the broadband?
    Were you already receiving broadband from another provider?

Did you not receive a letter stating an approximate date when your broadband would go active from Sky.

I seem to remember the period for broadband activation is anything from 2 to 3 weeks from when you order it.

4. adamCCC

adamCCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yea in the letter it said it would be activated from the 29th (today) and yes i had bt before.

5. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Ah ok, well like I said the 4 hours thing is nothing to do with your broadband.

If the letter said the 29th then hopefully it should activate sometime toady. I can't remember the wording used, is the 29th a definite or approximate acitvation date? sometimes things get delayed if your previous supplier is slow to turn their service off so the new one can go on.

Edit:
    Or if I just read your post accurately where you say "from the 29th" so it's from today, rather than today by the sounds of it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  6. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,476
    Changed your thread title :)

7. Spoonboy90

Spoonboy90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    As previously stated the 2 mins to 4 hours is for your Sky channels, your internet be on anytime before midnight assuming that the phone line is already connected to Sky's kit in the exchange if not then its not likley to be today at all but saying that most Sky orders are progressed as a combined phone & adsl order so it should just be down to Sky activating your service.

8. adamCCC

adamCCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    hehe thanks.

got it sorted, turned out the engineer used the wrong cables & connectors. my phone line is downstairs, and the router is upstairs, so he ran a phone cable from downstairs to upstairs, then added a splitter upstairs with a (dont know the correct name for it) internet wire/connector that goes into the ASDL socket on the router, but downstairs on the other end he had a regular telephone connection on the end coming out of some other type of unusual splitter..

so i got the engineer out hoping he would replace it or add the right connector on the phone socket end, long story short he came when i wasnt in (he said he wouldnt b there until 2moro) and i was talking to him on the phone and i said how it works if he would replace it with the right connector, then he said something about how if u dont go through the splitter he had used then we would get charged loads for the internet..............makes no sense, so i just asked him to leave the correct splitter with the ADSL connection at the end, and swapped them round myself when i got home and its working fine.

just thought id add all that incase anyone else ever has the same problem.

thanks for all your input b4 :)