1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got SKY+ Installed..

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dalvin, Jan 27, 2005.

1. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Engineer was very good - installed it no problem.

It was a Pace box, So I assume it is V2 or something? Picture quality seems slightly better (so far) than my old Panasonic Sky box.

Anyway, he showed me how to use it - no probs with that.

Then, after he left, I turned off the SKY+ box and put the TV on regular terrestrial channels, and low and behold, they are all fuzzy! I assume thats something to do with the aerial connection?
    Anyway, called SKY and they are chasing up the engineer to come back and sort it out.

I checked the connections at the back to the SKY+ box and I think they are ok, so have no idea why the terrestrial signal is screwed up.

Another thing he mentioned to me was that he recommends not to turn the SKY+ box off as this will preserve the life of the unit. He said by turning it on and off the unit cools down and then warms up which takes up more resources and will lessen the lifetime of the box.
    Anyone reckon this is a good idea?

Thanks

2. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    On a Sky+ (and a normal Sky) box the aerial cable can be plugged into the back of the box and then connected to your TV (a bit like a VCR). Perhaps the engineer forgot to connect the cable from the aerial out socket of your sky box into your TV's aerial in socket? Check the connections on the back of your TV. If no aerial cable has been plugged in then either conncet your sky box up to the tv or unplug the aerial cable from the sky+ box (your box doesn't need it) and connect this directly to your TV.

HTH :)

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Unless you are going to distribute the RF/Aerial feed together around the house there is no need for the aerial lead to be routed through the SKY+, it can go straight into the VCR or straight into the TV.

It's likely that the VCR RF output or a local analogue/digital transmission is clashing with the SKY+ RF ouput. That can be changed from within the SKY+ install menu very easily assuming you don't want to alter the VCR setting.
    On the remote...
    Services
    Select

The choose RF OUTLETS and enter a new RF number that isn't being used, save the setting and you should be ok.

There is no appreciable difference in the power requirments (heat generation) between the SKY+ on or in standby however when in standby the hard drive is spun down when not recording. There are arguments that spinning the drive down could cause issues but there are equally valid arguments for keeping the drive spinning 24/7.

Basically if you are not watching SKY then put the box into standby and only turn it off at the mains if you are changing LNB cables, moving the box or going on holiday and have no need to record anything.

Personal experience only but only use the Instant Rewind feature if you really want that capability. I have no doubts having the SKY+ recording all the time when it is on taxes the system to a high degree.

4. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well.. as I am at work, I have not had a chance to deal with the aerial prob - will have a look this evening. Sky engineer has not called me back anyway!!

My missus (who is at home) is now watching SKY+ and has found problems straight away:

the up arrow won't
    work or the + channel either. neither does favourites.
    even when you input channel numbers i.e 104 106 it
    says channel unavailable. i went to tv guide and it wouldn't come up.

anyone explain this behaviour? I'm not sure if the box has frozen up or anything.. does it need unplugging and then replugging?

Thanks

5. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you get the message channel unavailable it means that those channels have not yet lined up. I'm assuming the engineer did a callback when the box was installed, try unplugging the box to reboot it. This very often resets the card and all the channels become available. If they still don't appear ring Sky and they will re pair the card to the box. Sometimes on new installs it can take upto 4 hours for all channels to become available to view.

6. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    the engineer did do a callback and asked them to pair the card with the new box.
    resetting the box (unplug/replug) seemed to do the trick anyway :)

recorded my first programs overnight (2 channels at the same time) and i checked the planner and they were there as recorded :)

one q i was going to ask is, if you are recording 2 diff channels at the same time, can you watch a third channel? I'm guessing that this is not possible as there are only 2 tuners.. and both of those are used up recording.

7. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you're right. You can't watch a third channel. You can watch one of the ones you're recording, or you can watch something from the HD.

8. dalvin

dalvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    right.. i'm back to my aerial problem (see earlier posts further up)..

I had another Sky engineer come out this morning and it still doesn't seem to be sorted - ie, the terrestrial tv channels (1-5) all seem to be fuzzy..

The TV aerial was connected to the Sky+ box and now I know why - so the channels 1-5 are transmitted upstairs via the TV Link.

The enginner took this aerial out of the Sky+ and plugged it straight into the video, And there is a cable from the video to the TV aerial socket.

He said there was no need for the aerial in the Sky+ box - but surely there is because of the TV Link thing.

We retuned the TV and the channels are still fuzzy - they seem a bit better, but channel 5 is snowy - it used to be pretty perfect before sky+ was installed.

Enginner also said that the aerial might have just got "knackered" at the same time as Sky+ install - just a coincidence?? I don't know.

Anyway, so now, I can only watch Sky upstairs via TV Link - no channels 1-5 cos the aerial is out of the Sky+ box.

I tried putting the aerial back into the Sky+ box so I could get a signal upstairs, but this didn't work. I'm not sure if the engineer moved any other cables around.

I don't really have the technical knowldge to go plugging cables here and there and I don't want to make anything worse.

What to do?