just got sky + installed not sure that i like it now

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by shoestring25, Oct 17, 2003.

1. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    just got sky+ installed not sure that i like it now.

the fan noise from the machine is annoying me

there is no automatic channel switching unless you are recording the programe just reminders (unlike plain sky)

i have a poor reception from the second rf socket of the box up stairs, leaving me with a fuzzy picture.

the box is slow in receiving signals from the remote

i would be interested if anybody else has these problems, if there is anything i could do about them or whether should go back to my old sky

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    some people say a power reset will sort the fan out and will only come on when the box is very warm, my fan stays on all the time though but i can hardly here it so i am not bothered,the box is pretty quick in receiving signals from the remote and the rf out to my other tv is fine, maybe you have a duff box,

also regarding the question of no auto switching of channels sky say there is no need for one as the main purpose of this feature was to allow people who are recording programmes using a vcr the ability to change channels if they are not there and with sky + you dont need this feature.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Try a full reboot to stop the fan running constantly. If you're box is well ventilated it shouldn't really come on much. The hard drive on mine is barely audible unless you are within 2 feet of the machine.

As for response, my version 2 box is fine, as good as the Sony 760 I had before at least.

Dunno about RF, have you checked the cabling or was this a direct replacement for another Box that was working fine?

4. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Mine has super quick response from the remote.

Gary A

5. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    cheers for all the responses. i would like to know on how you do a full reboot? as my box is well ventilated so it should not be on all the time.

the remote i find responds quickly most of the time. while holding down the button seaching the channels it searchs five or six channels then stops and then i have to repress. i find the infa red sensor on the actual box not very good.

i get a terrible picture down stairs as well, when i tune the tele to the sky channel in via RF. why do i get such a bad RF picture i have good cable and a signal booster?

i wanted the channel to automaticaly switch on stuff other than that you want to record, then i could record one program and then record another that it has switched to while im out.

cheers

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Turn off at mains, leave 10 seconds then turn on again, box will take a short while to sort itself out and fan should not be running.

Maybe the signal booster is the problem. The RF picture will always be poor compared to RGB scart or even composite but over-boosting can cause problems with RF.

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The Sky tech support people always say you should leave the box for at least 60 seconds in between plugging it in and bringing it out of stand-by. Still, what do they know? :rolleyes:

8. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    with the RF thing, try changing the RF channel output on the box, my normal box was outputing on 65 or something, but my Prov tv tuner wouldnt pick it up. So i changed to 50 somthing and it picked it up butvery fuzzy. Its now on 60 and its clear and sharp, well as good as Rf gets anyway.
    I assume you had normal sky before and had no probs with RF, if its a new install then check that you have dbl screened cable to the other Tv's, that can cause probs.

to change the RF output go to services then 401 select. This will take you to the installers menu ( in case you didnt know) RF output is one of the menu options

9. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the "Fan" tip. Peace and Quite at last.

Bazza

10. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    give it a week and you'll never look back

11. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    went into the installer menu and re set the rf channel to 69, clear as a bell now

thanks for the exellent advice

12. Hawkis

Hawkis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heartily agree with you miller25 about the auto channel switching and disagree (sorry) chic that sky+ does not need Autoview. I (until Saturday when sky+ was installed) used it every day on series link + autoview to change channels overnight so when my TV switched on in the morning it was on my preferred morning programme to wake me. It meant I could fall asleep whilst the TV was on and not worry the next morning about the TV not being on the right channel as of course some have nothing on first thing. I've lost that now with sky+ so have to manually do it before falling asleep. Defeats the object of going to bed to watch tv....Otherwise, sky+ is excellent and I've experienced none of your other probs which you seem to have sorted now anyway.