Just got Sky HD - No idea what's going on - Help!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by djjimbob, Dec 22, 2006.

1. djjimbob

djjimbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Just got Sky HD installed yesterday and the wife paid no attention to what the installer was telling her. So I've no clue as to what is going on apart from using my own noggin.

I haven't got the viewing card yet as have no BT line until 28th Dec so am running the basic channels but I have a few questions:

No ITV1 or Channel 4 - will this come to life with the viewing card?

Read in the manual that you need an optical cable to get DD out of it - does this mean DD does not go down the HDMI cable?

The installer has connected it to the TV via HDMI and Scart - Can I just unplug the scart cable and leave HDMI?

Thanks folks.

2. fettnest

fettnest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Hope this is helpful:

DD needs an optical cable from the sky box to the AV amp.
    and yes, you can remove the scart.

Good luck.

3. cartel

cartel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I installed a second sky box last week and I was missing Channels 4 & 5 (even with the viewing card inserted) until I got the box to do a callback (from the installer menu) and complete the installation then both channels were available.

Terry

4. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    You do need a viewing card for ITV1 and C4 because they are encrypted unlike the BBC channels.

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Viewing cards are NOT needed for the ITV channels but one would be needed for C4.

Without the viewing card only the basic FTA SD lineup plus the BBC HD Preview channel will be available. This is basically all BBC and ITV channels plus Sky News and Film4. Also, no recording on the HDD will be possible.

When the OP gets his card the telephone line will also need to be connected to the box (compulsory for the first 12 months under the contract). Then a quick call to Sky on the number given onscreen in order to get the card activated and the box's functionality enabled.

Gav