Just got Samsung LE32R41BDX - problems connecting PC?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rockwaldo, Oct 18, 2005.

1. rockwaldo

rockwaldo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just come home with my impressive new Samsung set (mainly on recommendations found on these very forums, thanks!), and am very happy with the quality!

I am having some trouble connecting my PC to it however. My PC has a DVI output, so in absence of the correct cable (have just ordered a HD - DVI cable this evening) i tried to connect using a DVI-VGA converter and a VGA cable plugged into the PC input of the TV itself.

Not only do i not get a picture (the TV goes into standby mode), but the option for PC is greyed out and unavailable in the TV's connection menu.

Is this normal? Does the PC option only become active when it detects a valid PC signal? will my new cable fix this?

sorry for all the questions!
    thanks!!

2. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure that you select the resolution for the samsung prior to switching it to being your monitor. (something like 1366x728)

when you get your new connector you will want to select the resolution to be 1280x720 (on my ATI card i have a Force mode and say 720p)

3. rockwaldo

rockwaldo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help.
    I tried setting the rez to the required 1360-768, and it made no difference alas.
    Is it true that the PC menu option on the TV is greyed out if you dont have a valid PC imput?

4. ainat

ainat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't quote me on this, but I don't think this tv support DVI in PC mode. Surely your graphic card has the VGA output. Just use that and set the resolution to 1360x768 and you'll be viewing the best this tv has to offer. I've got the same set and I'm very happy with the PC mode through VGA playing HD clips! Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

5. zag2me

zag2me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I connect via a normal VGA output and cable into my BDX, works perfectly.

6. rockwaldo

rockwaldo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately my video card only has DVI outputs (crazy 6800 nvidia card).
    I tried using a DVD-VGA adapter at the PC end, but with no luck.

Can anyone confirm that the PC menu item on the TV is not available (i.e greyed out) when there is no valid pc connection? i.e does it autosense?

thanks

7. podavies

podavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im using a 6600GT card using a DVI-VGA cable and it works fine picks up the signal. try changing the cable or using a dvi to vga dongle you should have one with the card.

8. JDAdams

JDAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got myself one of these Samsungs yesterday too - it doesn't allow PC input selection (greyed out) if there's nothing attached to the VGA port, but as soon as something is attached (even a VGA cable with nothing on the other end) it allows selection of PC input.