1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got PIO 434 please help re connections...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by welsh alex, Jun 25, 2004.

1. welsh alex

welsh alex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got it last night just in time for the football :eek:

ive got it connected to a pio ns dv 990 (home cinema kit)
    and my x box.

im currently using s video on all and know that there is better with rgb etc but can you tell me in idiots language just what i need to do without spending mega bucks.
    whats the best way to ge the best pics from x box and my dvd player (combo amp)
    (im using rf till i get sky)
    cheers
    alex

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Not sure if the 990 does RGB out of it's scart, but if it does stick it into scart 4 and set the DVD to RGB output (if not stick with s-video into scart 2).

Scart 1 is the other RGB scart which'll be where your Sky box goes.

For the XBox you can get an RGB scart kit which I would stick into scart 1, then when you get Sky stick it into Sky's second scart so there is a daisy chain of XBox then Skybox into scart 1.

(choice of scart 1 or 4 is arbitrary by the way, but does get annoying if you want to send component or HDMI into the plasma)

3. welsh alex

welsh alex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks , how can i tell if it does rgb?? just try it ??
    havnt got a good scart cable what do you recommend??

my player is
    http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=4968&taxonomy_id=62-100

so are you saying i can put the input into any of them but just keep that one free in case i go to hdmi??

is scart different to the 3 pin red yellow white that came with the x box that plugs into a scart type input?? is that the scart kit is is it separate kit??

thanks... apologies for all the questions

also my pio 434 buzzes a bit from teh back of the plasma panel, this normal??
    alex

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    YEah just give it a flick through the manual. Or just fiddle around in the setup menu and see if it has an option TBH I don't think it does but can't remember!!

RGB can only go into scart 1 or scart 3, s-video can only go into scart 2 or scart 3. HDMI also uses input 3, you can still have a scart connected but you would need to go into the menu system to flick over!! BAsically when that time comes you can use scart switcher into scart 1. Worry not and enjoy your new plasma!!!

(buzzing normal btw)

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
  6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    And the plasma OSD will tell you thats its receiving an RGB signal.

To really get a better picture you must connect it to a progressive scan enabled DVD player.

7. welsh alex

welsh alex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks bauer, rags and liam,
    will get a scart lead tomorrow and attach the dvd player to the media box...any non online places you recommend i can go tomorrow and get one, richer sounds waitrose (john lewis) comet, currys etc, wheres best ???

re the buzzing , reassured to hear its normal, but is there anyway i can reduce it at all...

thanks guys , i 'm learning fast here!!

8. welsh alex

welsh alex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right then after some checking after reading your posts i can output rgb from my dvd player and put it into my plasma media box

tomorrow do i buy a good scart lead which i put in the back of the dvd player/combo amp and into the scart input of the media box and set both up for rgb

OR
    do i buy a scart at one end and component end into the media box, any advantage of the scart connector going into the media box with component connectors not a scart one
    (in a nutshell im not clear on the difference between rgb via scart and component from dvd to media box)

any posts before 9am tomorrow really would help

also the monster cable make from comet any good??
    cheers again
    alex

9. sirees01

sirees01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    welsh alex, where are you based m8 ?
    I am in Swansea & have a very good scart for sale as I am upgrading my DVD to a 868 using a HDMI lead.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    welsh alex

Crikey my ultimate customer - sign here mate; £5K in the till and no customers service required.

01. Stop - your systems not going to run away before 09:00 today.

02. Get onto whoever supplied you with near £5k worth of kit and kick up a stink and get THEM to sort you out with decent cables - a SCART cable between the Home Theatre system and the Media Box should be mandatory.

03. If your asking about SCART to YUV Component cables you haven't got the basics - so rather than running out and splashing out cash on duff cables take a couple of minutes to work out exactly what your trying to achieve.

04. Forgot about HDMI or YUV Component - your Three primary sources all have the option of RGB via SCART; and as your kit is One day old I guess your not planning on an upgrade this early!!!

05. As Liam suggested you only have Two RGB SCART enabled inputs on the Media Box so you need to choose the best option for you when sharing these two inputs.

Keep in mind the Media Box allows you to have Two sources on screen - so will you ever want say SKY and X-Box, SKY and DVD or X-Box and DVD up on screen side by side - that'll dictate which two units you 'daisy chain' into Input 01 or Input 03 on the Media Box.

If your happy with SKY or X-Box side by side with the DVD or the TV tuner feed as your Twin picture mode then as Liam suggests SKY via a SCART cable into Input 01 and DVD via SCART into Input 02 and when you get the SCART kit for your X-Box it will plug into the second SCART socket on your SKY Digibox.

06. If you have loudspeakers attached to the TV and don't plan to always use the surround sound via your Home Theatre system you'll want FULLY wired SCART cables and if your always using the sound via the Home Theatre system you can go for more upmarket RGB ONLY SCART cables.

As before whilst you could go to you local Electrical store I'd be asking my supplier for a good price on Two decent quality SCART cables and then head out to Game or similar for the X-Box SCART kit (I believe the Microsoft kit is the one to go for).

Best regards

Joe

11. welsh alex

welsh alex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks simon and joe

simon im too far away , born and brought up in swansea though!! :clap:

joe 9am was because im about to leave home for the day and last chance to check replies..... thanks for your good advice, feel ive got more of an idea re what im going to get / need to do
    cheers both
    alex