Just got Panny PW7 - Now want DVD to Wow Me

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by banjo21, Nov 13, 2004.

1. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    As per title I've just bought a Panny PW7 upgrading from a 5 year old Sony 28" CRT. I'm massively impressed and picture from Sky+ is great despite my fears.

Anyway I'd like to spend up to £450 on a DVD player to make the WOW factor go one step further. I have a Sony 1070 AMP for sound and mission FSAV2 speaker set. I currently have a Sony 330 DVD player which at £70 aint bad and goes through RGB JS converter to VGA on plasma but I'm sure I can do much better with this plasma for DVDs???

I know I might have to buy a new board for plasma (component?) but I'd like to put a few hundread quid more into the set up to make movies go the extra mile.
    Any suggestions for a shortlist?

Thanks.

2. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Pioneer 757Ai?

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    NO NO,

Get the new panasonic HDMI blade if its out yet and then buy a dvd player with HDMI, you dont want a crappy 757 with its old tech and chroma bug for your nice new plasma do you?

Be like buying a BMW and then sticking mower engine init

If your willing to get the best from your plasma then HDMI is the way to go.

4. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I would recomend any reputable player with Component output for progressive playback as there's no point using HDMI unless you want it for its one cable DVD-audio capability, in which case you could buy the new Panasonic DVD-S97 at sub £300

5. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I wouldn't call the 757 crappy, I rather like it, works well with my PW6. The Pioneer range tend to be consistent in what they claim to play whereas some brands have issues as to which brand of disc or quality i.e. blocking issues.
    The Denon range offers good products with good specs though they seem to require a lot of software/firmware upgrades.

6. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Thanks folks - am I right to understand that a semi-decent £150-£200 player on progressive input e.g. Pioneer 575 that seems so popoluar, will give a noticeable improvement on the Sony budget 330 via RGB scart? Or do I have to take a big jump up to £400-£500 to see the difference with my untrained eye?

PS. Yes I know I should demo a shortlist on the PW7 panel - but it isn't always easy to find a dealer that can do that and I'd like to know what the shortlist should be first :)

7. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's pretty much like I said before really. The main benefit (apart from the obvious quality benefit) of a £400-£500 player is HDMI output with upscaling to 720 or 1080 lines, which is pointless on a panel with 480 lines. But even if you decided that you wanted HDMI for what ever reason then you could still get all this in the Panny DVD-S97.

8. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    One benefit which may be of some worth would be other features the player may offer, for example some have DVD-A, SACD or both.
    This may not matter now but it could do later, I found the music from a 565 a liitle week wheras a Sony 900v was great, the 757 is good and the Denons are well respected.

9. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Actually the main benefit of hdmi is the fact the signal gets less degraded as there is no A/D conversion.
    Upscaling is just a benefit if your display fits its output res.

Therefore an arcam dvd player with HDMI that does not upscale would deliver an exceptional pic. HDMI is not just about scaling. You dont have to use the scaling feature.

How about the pioneer 668? think that falls into your price range