1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got Panny 42Pw5 today.WOW

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steelej, Oct 8, 2002.

1. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the subject says just got a Panny Pw5 today and all I can say is WOW, it almost made me weep when I put on Lord of the rings it was so good. So my advice anyone not sure about buying a plasma.......DO IT NOW

John.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stop showing off
    get some pics up for us, its great to read about people enjoying there plasma `s rather than putting them down.

3. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Did you get the tuner, if so any info, does it still replace the component inputs etc.

John

4. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)))) I;ll try and get some pics sorted, but I really do love this thing, Girlfriends parents were just over and they just sat with a look of awe(If thats how you spell it) on their faces. I think they might have one soon :)

I didn;t bother with the Tuner, I just use my sky box so sorry I can't answer your question.

John.

5. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    The new tuner box uses its' own bespoke connector to the panel, so does not take up any other inputs.

Regards.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the tuner at a panny dealer. They didn't have any series 5 screens though! They hope to get them soon (they keep being told this) the new tuner has 2 RGB scarts on it and 1 svideo scart and uses a big D type connector with about a 3 metre lead. HTH. I'll be getting one as my Sky box runs a multiroom system.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree 100%
    Congrats on your purchase

8. Dixie

Dixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well done on your purchase.
    I had the WOW on day one and every day since.
    Hope Jon Weaver reads all this lot.

9. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    Don't worry.. I am reading all of the posts and taking it all in..

10. epicdream

epicdream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi,

Got my Pannny 42" W5 yesterday (wednesday) and I have to agree, it is superb. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to wire up component sockets as I was sent a model without the RCA terminal board!! (I am getting one in a couple of days)

RGB via JS RGB>VGA looks a treat. I dont have a very good digital camera so the pics would look naff. I watched Scorpion King R1 DVD and Collateral Damage R2 DVD and the performance is jaw dropping....

It replaces my old Sony 32" W/S crt. It's just like being at the cinema:D Woo Hoo!!!

Neill

11. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Steelj/Neil

Did you compare to the W4 model, the reason I am asking is that there was another thread that 'discussed' the various merits of the outgoing model compared to the new low res version. There was some suggestion that the newer model had some different processing.

I am on the verge of ordering the newer model (which I haven't seen), or trying to find the W4 or Tosh clone.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

12. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I seem to remember reading in the AVS Forum that the internal scaler in the new 5 series had undergone a cost cutting exercise and wasn't quite as good as the 4 series.
    I don't know if this is true but it may be worth looking into.
    You can sure find some good deals on a 4 series/Toshiba right now.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK the new PW5 is the same resolution as the older 4 series, its only the new PH5 thats higher. Also Panny's new tuner will only work on the 5 series. HTH. I'm still waiting to see a 5 series in the flesh!

14. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Can any one recomend a source of the Panny 4 or the Toshiba clone?

Prices etc?

Am about to do a web search, but if anyone has any recomendations I'll be interested.

Cheers

Adrian

15. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Currently Richer SOunds are doing the Toshiba 42WP16 for £2999.

Nexnix are doing their best to match the price, but can't compete.

The believe that this is because R.S are sourcing their Plasams from Germany (where the prices has dropped)

They hope that they will be able to do something soon.

I can't take the risk, as I am worried that Nexnix may not be able to match the price and R.S will sell out.

£2999 is an amazing price and I would be surprised if anyone could beat it...

I rang them today and it was implied that they actually have stock in their warehouse, so delivery times to the stores will take less than a week.

I am going to place my order tomorrow, although they do want FULL payment up front!

17. sculora

sculora

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John - Just a little tip. I ordered mine from richer sounds and as they dont have them in store they have to get them delivered out to the store from the warehouse, ask if they can send it straight to you. They did for me (although the first one had to be rejected because it was on its side!!).

There is tip and tell on the side of the box (it lets you know if the box has been the wrong way up). Make sure you check this before signing for it.

Regards
    Sal

18. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    HI,

Hi wish I had the money.....

Probably not until next April realistically

It is so tempting! However I also need to understand the connections better as well, as I have tooo many connections to work out. And to keep her inddors happy, it needs to be as simple as possible.

Just started reading these threads, and ther is tooo much information, total brain overload!

Adrian

19. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Sculora,

Thanks for the tip.. Delivery to the house, would definately be better than me collecting it from their store..

Was the Richer Sounds offer everything that it seems?

Are you as happy with yours as everyone else??

I will pop into Cardiff tomorrow to order mine, but its still nice to get positive feedback!

20. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    John

I phoned the warehouse yesterday and they did not have any in stock! (Tosh), they told me to add to my wish list on the internet which will advise me when they receive a delivery and then to order..... It may be different if you go into a store but the guy did say that they probably wont get any for at least two weeks. But, he did say they have the new panny (W5) in stock at 3299!!

21. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    New W5 model?.. Interesting.. Doesn't anyone know whether they compare favourably to the older model.

I have heard several comments that they wern't ment to be as good (technically speaking), but that was unsubstantiated.

It does worry me that R.S want payment in full, when there isn't stock in their warehouse.. Surely they can't expect me to pay for something they don't have??

22. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    R.S in Cardif are showing 8 in the central stores.

After a little argument, they are ordering me one without payment!

Fingers crossed that they will be able to supply, or I am going to be TV less!!

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from John Lewis Sheffield, cost more than some other places but, I got there 5 year warranty, which helps me sleep easier

24. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jon do the toshiba from RC come with a 2 year warranty?

25. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for late response on this, but I originally demoed a 4 series panny before I got the 5, as far as I'm concerned there is absolutely no difference in picture quality, they both look fantastic. I went for the 5 just to get the newer model.

John.

26. epicdream

epicdream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I also demoed the W4 many times and was extremely worried that I might have made a mistake by ordering the newer model.

As far as I can tell, there is no difference between the two. The black levels are very deep, i was a little worried to find a bit of noise on T2:Ultimate Edition but then I went back to Scorpion King, which has an excellent transfer and immaculate picture with no noise. All of this is via RGB.

I am more than happy with the TV.

Neill

27. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello all

Finally managed to see the new 5 Series D (Charcoal) displays yesterday - though it was at a corporate launch and not the best environment to get to view or play with the displays.

The sources were a slim line Panasonic DVD player and a Panasonic 'Ruggedised' laptop (nice bit of kit).

No worries with the video quality of the PWD5 42" display on S-Video - though there was no Component signal to see how it looks with PAL or NTSC progressive signals.

The PHD5 42" also looked very good on video and trounced the PWD5 on data - big difference.

All of the new displays now use a 10 bit Real Gamma Correction video processor and produce 1024 steps of grey (2048 if the optional DVI board is fitted).

The PWD5 display uses less driver circuits than the PWD4 display (this is where the signal scan/dual scan debate in earlier threads comes into play) - on the 'dual scan' D4 displays each 'frame' is created in two halves, top and bottom, written simultaneously - on the 'single scan' D5 displays each frame is written as one full frame.

All of the 5 Series displays use new improved phosphors that result in more accurate colour rendition - and less power consumption.

It was also very noticeable that compared to a couple of third party displays provided for 'comparison' that the 5 Series displays showed no sign of 'afterimage' when a static test pattern was left on screen for around fifteen minutes; the same could not be said for two of the other displays on show.

The room we were viewing in was pretty busy and air conditioned so there was no way of knowing if the power supplies on the 5 Series are any quieter that those on the 4 Series.

The S-Video DC offset lock 'problem' has been resolved on the 5 Series displays - this function is used in Japan by many manufacturers to lock the display to the input signal. The problem for us in the UK/Europe being that some sources seem to output a DC offset for no reason and the displays get fooled into a 'lock' mode. The 5 Series displays are now defaulted to NOT recognise a DC offset - though you can switch this function back on again with a hidden menu (its also worth noting that this 'hidden' menu is available on late 4 Series displays - early 4 Series displays require a resistor chop to stop the display locking into a particular S-Video mode).

So on a quick initial viewing I cant see any reason to believe that a 5 Series display is a lesser product that a 4 Series display and the new improved phosphors look to actually improve the display very slightly.

Best regards

Joe

28. patr1ck

patr1ck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Joe,

Have the improved phosphors on the new Panny 5 series displays contributed to the lack of an afterimage? Did you manage to compare this effect with a 4 series display?

Will the new HD panel be available anytime with a silver surround or is it going to remain a commercial display only?

Thanks ... Pat

29. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pat,

Before I bought my Pw5 I got in contact with the Marketing Manager for the UK Plasma displays from panasonic and he said that the PHw5 consumer version(Silver surround) of the HD model would not be getting released in the UK, so unless they change their mind it looks like it may only be the commercial version that will be avaiable.

Don;t hold me responsible though if my info is not 100% accurate, I'm only relaying what the man said :)

John.

30. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    PJM

I'm afraid we did not have a 4 Series PWD side by side with the 5 Series display - I'm not sure that its the improved phosphors that make the difference here; more likely Panasonics 'Adaptive Brightness Intensifier' trickery that's making the difference.

It was pretty startling though watching the three Panasonic displays generating a clean black screen when the laptop was switched off and the other two screens held onto the test card for about thirty seconds.

I dont have any contact with Panasonic Consumer Division so I dont know what there plans are for the TH-42PHW5B HD Display - I can tell you though that a big topic at the Business Systems Dealer launch this week was the lack of Silver bezels for the D Series displays; many boardroom interior designers want a silver bezel! watch this space!!!

Joe