just got pana ex78

the_stalker

:thumbsup: Just got them and have a quick look. Yes the guide plus is bad on advert on the screen by taking up almost half the screen when press guide listing. I knew it coming as I read it before on this forums.

Anyway before I start recording etc there is a option for recording mode under setting. Which is video format and VR format.

Could anyone explain what the different between the video format and VR format? I understand the fact that you can't high speed copy from hdd if is in vr format but what good having vr format on? As the manual say is recommend to set it to vr format.

cheers

I will start copy video and then edit out the advert break but I want to understand the different on vr/video format.

Gavtech

Administrator
Could anyone explain what the different between the video format and VR format? I understand the fact that you can't high speed copy from hdd if is in vr format but what good having vr format on? As the manual say is recommend to set it to vr format.
The manual doesn't actually recommend it... It recommends it conditionally - only if you do not want to do high speed copying.

VR format was an incompatible development of pre-existing formats which gave certain advantages in editing and space usage on discs.

You can read extensively about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vr_mode

As to which is best for you will depend on how you use your machine.

I would say VR mode is generally less useful or needful in HDD equipped machines such as yours because most time shifting [ ie non-save material ] will likely be done by the hard disc... and archiving material which will be saved to disc [ Best on DVD-R in this machine ] is far better done in DVD-Video mode as it offers great advantages:

The copy is done in high speed.
It doesn't tie up your machine for long - and other things can be done at the same time.
The copy is lossless.

The alternative with VR mode is you have to copy in real time, your machine cannot be used for anything else, and there is a generational encoding loss in the process.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom