1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got my Xbox,AV lead help.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by smallman28, May 3, 2003.

1. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking for a lead that has an optical and S-VHS connection to be able to connect to my amp and get 5.1 as well as a better picture than the standard lead supplies.
    Who does the best one,the offical one or after market?
    I did ask briefly in the shop but their answers didn't inspire me with enough confidence to buy one there and then.
    Also does anyone know of a retailer who sells spare empty game cases,the 2 second hand games I got are okay but the cases are a bit tatty.

2. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ebay do the green cases,i also got an advanced scart off of there.no svhs on it though,but the optical works very well.hooked it up to my digitheatre and wow!

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    As well as component the hidef pack contains the s-video connector too. I mostly play through s-video for quick games and during the day, but swithc to my pj for that all encompasing gaming experience :)

The kit was Gamester for £25 ish from Game

4. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I just got a refund on that Gamester hi-Def pack as I demo'd it for a month and it gave me terrible ghosting on my Tosh 36ZD26P. I was also using the S-Video cable that came with it on my DVD player and that was crapper then an old £5 Vivanco S-video-Scart I had lying around.

The Official 1st party Advanced Hi-Def pack is MUCH better. I do believe there is a direct component cable available too, which may be a better alternative to a box.

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    seemed find on svideo - the compy output looks a bit naff but I'm using naff cables at the mo. I've got some van damme cable on my dvd so I was going to swap em over and then tweak the pq setting =s on the pj input then go out and buy some more van damme

6. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    sorry, didnt mean to rubbush your previous post mate ;)

I asked someone else if it was the cables that were rubbush but they were tested with £100+ cables and still bad picture. That was final straw for me.

7. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of the ones I have looked at seem to offer the optical cable for audio but with a scart head for video or have a SVHS connection for video but not an optical one for audio,seems a bit bizzare to me.
    I would have thought that SVHS along with an optical cable would be about the best to go for to get a decent picture along with digital sound.

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?ProductCode=XB0198

Is anyone using this one,or anyone have any experience of it?

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ixos do a selection of XBOX and PS2 cables, meant to be very good.

9. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I can vouch for Ixos's quality, I have their PS2 component cable and its the best by far. Pricey but worth it IMO if you have the TV to take advantage.

10. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I too can't recommend the gamester hi def pack. Even with a good cable it's pants - lots of ghosting and noise. The MS one is dead good tho, if you can find one :/

But the MS one DOESN'T have an s-video out, in case you needed it

11. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    fudge i just got that gamester hi def pack on neil mcrea word that he couldn't tell the difference between the two:rolleyes: i haven't seen it in action yet as i haven't got my pj yet, but looks like i'm going to have to get one of the other ones now:mad: anyone know where i can get one?

12. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

I'm currently using one of these http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=83&products_id=1722& not sure if you can get them over here, the only problem with the Ixos one (unless they have been changed) are they only offer stereo sound.
    I use mine with a Ixos S video lead and Chord Optichord and am pretty happy with it.

Ten

13. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the official MS ones from dvdboxoffice.. Sure it might take a while to send but I was in no rush ^_^ Image quality is superb with it and yes, those Gamester ones are of shoddy quality. Had one myself previously >_<

14. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    just checked, less than £20 for hi-def pack from dvdBO?!?! thats pretty frickin good.

15. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sure is mate if you don't mind the lil wait.. Of course you can pay a bit extra for shipping but you might as well make the most of it... Up to 4 items can be added to the flat rate courier as well. Some people have had issues with this company but I haven't had any after a year and 7 months of constant shopping ^_^

16. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The gamester hi-def pack is ok in 480i, but does not have the bandwidth to support any of the actual hi-def modes, hence they look blurry (480p looks significantly worse then 480i !!) . . . the official Microsoft pack is excellent . . . I got mine from Lik-Sang in Hong Kong.

17. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I have both packs now when i set my pj up tomorrow, i'll test both & see if i can see any difference in the two:)

18. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Has anyone tried the Xbox Ixos comp cables or the pelican ones? Im wondering whether to buy the M$ hi-def pack or get straight component cables.

I cant find the Ixos cables for sale anywhere despite seeing them on their website for ages now. The Pelican component cables look suspect because they're so cheap, you get what you pay for esp when it comes to cables IMHO ;)

Any experience with this?

19. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bash,

why don't you go for Monster Cable instead ?

20. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    No analogue audio out and seems to be too expensive from what I've seen. Where is it avaliable from anyway?

21. tullamore

tullamore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just bought one from GAME. £9.99. Scart link with optical linkand cable. Plugged mine directly into optical on Digitheatre and scart into TV and hey presto Dolby. Works for 5.1 but I have no 5.1 games yet. Still UNREAL is deafening, Splinter Cell creepy and HALO awesome.

22. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without doubt the official cables come on top in every department IMO. Worth seeking down if quality means something to you.

I thought Halo was ment to be 5.1? With a weak centre though... Can't remember if Splinter Cell is 5.1 but for the budget spent I would be surprised if it wasn't.

One thing is clear though, the quality produced sonically is impressive once set up correctly. My Velodyne CHT-15 is having fun ^_^

23. bash

bash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Someone is offering me JUST the hi-def box, not the comp cables. How much is it worth and what component cables whould I couple with it?

24. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my official Xbox component pack for £20 so see if you can get it for a tenner ^_^ If you can then you'll be smiling all the way as you can use a decent phono cable instead. Unless you want the best quality around then get the IXOS ones at £60/m... IMO That would be going over the top.

If its not the official Xbox component pack though then I'd leave it well alone, no matter how cheap it is.

25. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    :confused:

Yes yo do....Halo and i'm pretty sure Splinter Cell is too.