1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got my Tosh SD330 from Amazon

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bursar, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Amazon delivered my Tosh 330 today, I've set it up, and I'm well chuffed :)

It's only half the height of my Tosh 3109, and the remote is miniscule by comparison!

Chucked in an R3 NTSC disc and it played fine. Put in a DVD-R and that played fine too.

However... The actual manual is in 2 foreign languages, and the English manual is set of photocopied pages stapled together.

Is this how other people received their manuals from Amazon?

Edit -> Oh, and it doesn't seem to cause the TV to switch to AV when I power the DVD on. The 3109 did this, and I'm using the same SCART cable. Is this fixable?

2. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *cough*grey import?*cough*

need clarification from others too! :lesson:

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Mine was full UK spec.:)

4. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    That was my first thought too. I'll leave it a day or two to see what the general consensus is here.

If everyone else has had the the UK spec 330, then Amazon can have this one back and they send me a 'proper' one.

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Mine was a uk spec one, spanking new with no photocopied anything just a sealed bag with a uk manual, remote, batteries.

Seems to be Amazon are mixing in a few models originally destined for other european countries.

I personally wouldn't care but if there was even the smallest detail about the player I didn't like I'd use it as the reason to send it back. I would really test the player hard with various media and it plays them all with flying colours I'd keep it. I mean you could get a replacement that is less dvd-r friendly. DVD players even of the same model do vary.

6. notfub

notfub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Tosh 330 got delivered yesterday and has a photocopied UK manual, exactly as Bursar has stated.

The player is excellent though and I'm even impressed with the CD replay through my Marantz SR5200.

I'd guess the original deal was over subscribed and Amazon just got hold of other players destined for Europe to keep up with UK demand.

I'm more than happy with mine, especially at £80 and will be keeping mine under the TV where it belongs ;)

7. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same here - ordered three - one for me, two for family - great players - all had photocopied manuals.

One of the three wouldnt play anything other than R2 discs so that had to go back - replacement is en-route.

Excellent value for money though.

8. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine with the photocopy manual. Working fine across all regions, no problem with the TV automatically switching to the AV channel.

9. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    OK, well it seems as if the manual thing is getting to be a common theme, so I'll cross that off my gripe list :)

Just need to figure out what to do about the AV switching.

I had a bit of trouble getting the SCART connector into the back of the tosh, but it went in eventually. None of the pins on the connector are bent.

I couldn't see any options on the Tosh to either enable or disable this feature. Did I miss something?

10. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    These Amazon machines are Multiregion I assume? Are they RCE Compatible and did I read correctly £80:confused: does that include delivery.

11. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    They are multi-region. In my first post in this thread I said that I put in my R3 NTSC Shaolin Soccer disc and it played perfectly.

AFAIK I don't have any RCE discs, so can't comment on that directly.

Delivery is extra if you want it quick, or free if you go for the 3-5 day option.

12. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes Read that, and I new the answer really but did not know if they were advertised as Multi-Region or it was because your player was an import. Ought to get off my arse and look at the Amazon more closely really, anyone else got an RCE disc, R1 of The 6th day is definitely RCE.

13. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Re:RCE - Stuart Little 2 R1 won't play w/o a 'workaround'. A Knights Tale, The Glass House & xXx (RCE) play w/o any problems.

Delh68

14. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a replacement for one of the early (& faulty) 330s from Amazon (at £99!). This model had UK manual and no photocopies. My replacement has the foreign manual with photocopy of UK manual.

The big surprise for me has been the mediocre RGB performance of both these players.... and the stunningly good s-video performance. On my set up, the s-video output blows the socks off the RGB picture. And this phenomenon is definitely Tosh-related as I also have a Denon ADV-700 with an exact mirror image - stunning RGB and mediocre s-video.

Another surprise for me was that the much lauded component feed was a complete let-down. In fact the picture quality from the Tosh on my Loewe Aconda is the complete opposite of what I have come to expect.. best of three is s-video (should be worst), second is RGB (that's about right but its **** poor really to what it should be) & worst is component (should be best). Mind you I do wonder if the poor component is something to do with my TV as I've seen a Tosh 220 deliver superb results via component on an Aventos..

Anyone else dabbled with s-vid (or component) on this Tosh?

15. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I've tried S-Video vs Component with my Tosh 330 and my Panny AE100 Projector and the Component was much sharper in picture quailty.

16. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    The component output is hooked up to my Toshiba 32zd26p and delivers a stunning picture. Bearing in mind the apparent picture problems with some 32zd tv's, I would say the player is pretty damn good.:)

17. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I think the component output quality is fantastic on mine and I've tried quite a few different players. I'm using a AE100 projector.

I just wondered if this was a Loewe model that downgrades both rgb and component to s-video internally. Have you actually seen a RGB or component source on this television that was much better?

18. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

So on the basis that I need to play a RCE disc how do I "workaround" the problem?

On other machines I have I just select the region manually - I dont think we can do this on the 330E or am I wrong?

many thanks

19. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I think you just put a non-RCE R1 disc in and start playing it, then put in your RCE disc and it should play OK.

I'm sure someone else will be along to correct me if I'm wrong :)

20. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28

Yep I got my SD220 from Amazon and the English manual was a set of photocopied pages :laugh:

I don't mind, everything else is perfect.

21. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, yes - the RGB output from both my ADV700 and from my Sky box. They are both stunning. And the s-video from the ADV-700 is dire.

But this thought (about downgrading by the Loewe) has crossed my mind with regard to component.... which I have yet to see deliver a good result on my set. But there's no arguing with the RGB pictures from Denon and Sky box. I obviously need to investigate further.

22. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Stuart Little 2 R1 RCE workaround;

Put in the disc. RCE warning map appears. Press 'Memory' on the remote. Press 01 in the title box. Press Enter or Play... clicks to stop says 'memory off' Press the 'T' button to bring up time input. Enter 1 second. Press Play.

U can only watch the film, not the extras, unless someone has discovered a fix ??

(Found by Cat, a forum colleague elsewhere)

Delh68

23. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So basically they do not play RCE films, as far as I am aware the workaround does not give you 5.1 out, just stereo, or that is what it used to do on my SD100 before I got it chipped.

24. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think earlier in the thread someone said it plays other RCEs fine, just not Stuart Little (and maybe some others??? )

Dave

25. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Well to be honest the highest quality output on the Toshiba is the component output but I have to say I've found RGB to be very good. However it does make sense in that RGB voltages are less strictly controlled and are more prone to matching problems than s-video and component. So a bit of an RGB mismatch and poor component on the Loewe would explain it. The reason there are more problems matching RGB is that RGB is basically going to the tube guns directly and the main tuner circuitry of the set isn't involved in the process. There are easy indications that your set doesn't have true rgb.

Firstly it can superimpose menus on the rgb picture. This means the image is being processed and genlocked etc before going onto the tube guns. This is light processing of the rgb picture.

You can alter colour levels on the rgb picture. If you can do this your set doesn't have a true rgb mode. Its basically downgraded the rgb picture completely to s-video so colour levels can be altered just like s-video or tuner feeds. You may still get good results depending on how good the downgrading is but its not true RGB.

A true RGB scart picture prevents menus from being displayed and you can only vary the brightness and contrast of the picture. This means the signals are going almost directly to the tube. In this case reds will be extremely vivid and contrast and brightness will be excellent. However sharpness/detail doesn't allways look best via rgb as s-video feeds are often artificially sharpened by both the dvd player and the television itself. If you turn any sharpness functions on the dvd player to off and turn it to neutral on the television you may be surprised at how little detail the s-video picture has.

26. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bonzobanana. I appear to have found what was wrong and can now agree that the Tosh component picture can be fabulous. But I think I've found a quirk, so, moderators I hope you agree it was sensible to start another thread: "Toshiba 330 quirk"

27. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I just got my SD330 from Amazon :)

Now, I didn't want to start another thread, but I think I have a problem, kind of anyway.

There are three "video out" options in the setup menu: "Video, S-Video and RGB".

I'm not very well educated in what these mean exactly, but I have the player connected to my TV via a scart cable. My TV (a 24" widescreen JVC) doesn't have a S-Video socket, so I know I can ignore S-Video. But I am wondering which to choose between "RGB" and "Video".

RGB definitely looks sharper and better all round, but the picture looks a little dull for some reason. It is ok in dark scenes, but when things get light/bright (say, for example, a day light scene) it is not quite as bright as it should be. Also, I can't adjust the colour level at all, only brightness, contrast and sharpness.

The "Video" option is a lot rougher to look at, but I can get the right colours. But it just isn't as good, even when I make the picture really dark. Hell, it's not as good as my old player (a Panasonic) apart from the fact it deals with dar scenes a lot better.

Basically I would like to know how to make the RGB picture look right. I've tried turning the brightness up, but that can look unnatural.

Should I buy a better scart cable?

28. Barry Bingham

Barry Bingham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darth_Fisto

A few thoughts:

You don't have to ignore it. S-video signals can be carried by SCART providing the Tosh is set to do so. The JVC would probably autodetect it (and if not could almost certainly be told to use s-video via a menu system).

But RGB should - generally but not always - be better.

RGB is the one to go for. "Video" will only give a flat composite picture unless you are able to use the component out - which you can't on the JVC.

...which means that you definitely have a proper RGB picture.

Well assuming you've tweaked your contrast and brightness settings as much as you can, and you've seen your set deliver better pictures with the same material from other sources, perhaps you need to use the tosh's "EPM" settings. Do these help? And if you are currently using "normal" try going back to "normal" without turning off and tell me if you get a better picture than you started with....?

If so look at my thread "Toshiba 330 quirk" and let us know!

Well, it depends on what you have now. If its a cheapie £4.99 number, then definitely you should. A better cable can often help deliver some extra brightness and clarity but there's a law of diminishing returns.... as to the value you put on that return it depends on what you want to pay for sometimes small gains - and the smaller the screen, the less obvious the benefits. I guess that on a 28" a £50 cable would be unnecessary overkill but if you have a cheapie it might be sensible to consider a mid range cable in the £20-£30 area.

29. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darth_Fisto, if your tv has 2 scart sockets, then scart 2 will more than likely accept s-video, which will give you better results than composite video.

I have heard on this forum that RGB pictures on some JVC sets has been pretty poor, and that s-video is usually more desirable.

30. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barry B, spooky timing:eek: