Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Just got my Tosh 32zd26

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by kwangomango, Mar 18, 2003.

1. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    First off, it is very good good looking - the missus loves it. Due to the curved back it also goes right back into the corner of the room which is very handy. Progressive scan through my 963sa is awesome. After reading some other comments i wasn't sure if i would see much of a difference, but it is very noticeable. On the video calibration menu of Avia (where the camera pans across the 3D generated room) all of the jaggies disappear and the menu text is much much sharper. Whilst trying to calibrate with Avia i noticed that the progressive component output is much darker than the the RGB output. Component interlaced may also be different again but i forgot to check. Calibration will be made more difficult as the player itself has colour, contrast etc settings on both RGB and component output. What would be the best calibration method to get the best balance for both progressive component and RGB for my digibox. Could any owners of both machines share their thoughts? I know that the US HDTV Toshibas have designer menu settings which allow seperate settings for the various input types.
    Another thing i noticed is that the TV allows colour adjustment of an RGB signal. I did not think that this was possible. Is the TV doing some internal conversion to svideo or something?

Now on to my main point. The geometry isn't very good. There is about a 10mm slope from top left to top right and about 2mm slope from bottom left to bottom right. Am i correct in thinking that this is unfixable by by either myself or a Toshiba engineer.
    What would be the most pain free method of getting this sorted. I could do without taking weekdays off work. Will John Lewis be happy just to send out another one or do they insist on a Toshiba visit first? Could people share their experiences.
    So many questions....

Many many thanks for any help.

2. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the same set also from JL and my bird also loves it (only thing I've bought without getting 'what do we need that for ??').

I had the same problem. I had an engineer out who took the back off and rotated the tube. It still isn't 100% but it's not as noticable. He said you can't get it perfect. The problem you have is alot of these and other 100hz TV's have a buzz. Some worst than others (Luck of the draw). If your TV is not buzzing I would take the day off for an engineer (if poss) because the buzz is more annoying. Don't think you will have a problem with JL especially if you throw your toys out of the pram.

Good luck.

Yugo

3. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh:

Very nice bloke though. From what I've read hear he was telling the truth.

Yugo

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Isn't twisting the tube only worth it if there is equal slope top and botttom of the screen?
    Phoned JL Bluewater. Just asked for a replacement to be sent on Saturday. The girl at the other end didn't even ask what the problem was. Much easier then i expected.You have got me worried about the buzzing now though:)
    Even when i bought the TV, the sales guy told me he had one customer return 5 of them. I think i'll just keep sending em back until i am happy.

Thanks

edit - is there a service/designer menu equivalent of the geomag rotation feature that the 36 incher has?

5. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said...good look. Don't worry about the buzz. I had it on mine and it's now gone. If you have a slope on the next one, try the engineer.

Yugo

6. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    JL is the place. Is this the only Strata they stock, anywhere?

7. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Replacement turned up Saturday. We didn't have time to pack up the original but bird managed to convince the delivery guys to do it and put the new one on the stand!!
    Unfortunately the slope is exactly the same as original. This one also noticeably buzzes. What to do next....
    Does the buzz disappear over time?
    Can an engineer fix the slope? Remember it only slopes at the top and not at the bottom. I hate to think that the whole JL batch is gonna be same. Is there any way i could get Toshiba to send me one from a different batch?

Ta.

8. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Pretend your a reviewer for a mag - they seem to be the only ones to get perfect Toshiba TV's ;) ;)

I would go for another set - you are paying for a premium product, you should get one that meets all your expectations.

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    kwangomango

welcome to the buzzing club. My first 28ZD26P buzzed for the two weeks i had it before getting a replacement - which also buzzed, as did its replacement. In the end i got my money back.

I can't say I've come across anyone reporting that theirs has stopped buzzing over time. It seems to either be there or not. You'll have to decide if you can live with it. I couldn't.

10. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have said in my previous note that mine has stopped unless you put your ear on the back of the TV and have bat like hearing.

Moving the tube does work because it adjusts the picture and also the bottom and top has black boarders which are fixed.

I suggest an engineer but if it cannot be done on your set get it replaced or your money back. A lot of 100hz TV's buzz, so it's pot luck (Not just Tosh).

Cheers

Yugo1

11. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Surely twisting the tube will just result in the slope being at the bottom and running the other way. Or is there something else involved?

edit-
    Just spoke to an engineer from TV Video Repair in Surrey. He said that there is definitely nothing that can be done. Any fixing of horizontal geometry involves playing with scan coils on the neck of the tube. Bowing (smiley face effect) can be sorted, and twisting the tube will fix a slope which occurs both top and bottom. He mentioned that someone from Sony told him that TV's are not monitors and perfect geometry should not be expected!! Amazing that geometry is perfect on every cheap monitor i have ever seen.

12. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I give up then. Mine is almost perfect. Cannot notice it unless you get out a ruler (My tube was repositioned).

Good luck.

Yugo1

13. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    No luck on a swap out this time. The girl on the phone spoke to 2 managers a sales guy from the floor who completely misunderstood what the problem was. They thought i was complaining about some kind of geometry issue when switching to 3:4(!!) mode. Eventually they agreed to get an engineer sent out this Saturday - Visual FX from Romford. I would love things to be fixed (buzzing included) but fear both our time will be wasted. Lets wait and see.

14. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,
    Just thought I would drop in & let you know that my new Tosh 32z27 (50hz Virtual Dolby) TV also seems to have a buzzing noise that comes from it which is quite annoying :rolleyes:
    The buzzing noise is present all of the time & doesn’t seem to change pitch if the screen is displaying a light or dark background.
    Don’t get me wrong the buzzing isn’t that loud but when I listen carefully during a quiet bit of programme from normal viewing distance I can hear it, & once you know it’s there …well it’s the dripping tap scenario …isn’t it.

I noticed a few posts where people have pointed out that their buzzing noise seemed to quieten down after a while, so I have been playing the ar$e off the set hoping that it may disappear :D but no luck as of yet (7 days)

I believe from reading the forum that a few things within the TV can cause this buzzing noise, the “Scan Coils” or the “Power Supply Unit”. I don’t know if I’m barking up the wrong tree but I would have thought that if it were the scan coils causing the buzzing that the pitch of the buzzing would change slightly with the screen brightness etc, would this be a feasible assumption?

As the buzzing coming from my set is always at a constant pitch would this indicate that it’s coming from the power supply unit?

Is this the same with your buzzing noise?

Also the Tube in my set is made by Samsung …well the sticker on it says this, you can view this by looking through the slots in the back of the set, what make is yours?

If the buzzing noise is coming from the power supply unit I believe that an engineer can change this unit relatively easily, where as the scan coils are part of the tube assembly & is a lot more of an involved fix, anyone know if this is correct?

I would be willing to have the buzzing noise fixed, if this is possible, as I don’t relish the thought of looking for another set & all the problems that come with them… at least the picture etc is ok on this one!
    I fully appreciate that there will always be some level of noise from the back of a TV…but a bit quieter than at present would be great.

Apart from the buzzing noise I love the TV & the geometry seems ok to me with no obvious bending, bowing or slopes on the screen & although not a 100hz TV, the picture quality is excellent.
    The Virtual Dolby sound isn’t that good though…but as I plan to add an amp in the near future this isn’t a concern of mine.

I bought the TV at Makro (the cash & carry place) for a great price, I have rang them to ask about swapping the set, hopefully to get one that doesn’t buzz, but they have none left…(I guess the price was good)…& they aren’t getting any more in as it was a one off offer they had.
    I can however return the set for a refund but then I have to start looking for a different set all over again.

I have thought about getting a Toshiba service engineer out to look or should I say listen to the noise as obviously the set is guaranteed, but I have a nasty feeling that an engineer will say that the buzzing is normal :rolleyes: ….you know how it is.

So I’m stuck between a rock & a hard place at the moment….I wonder if we are all asking too much to expect a decent TV for the money we are paying.

Regards to all, Tb

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And how many 32" and 36" monitors have you seen?

16. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Erm... none. Please ignore that ridiculous statement.

Engineer turned up on Saturday and stayed for about 3 minutes. He said that the slope could probably be fixed back at the workshop but would involve re glueing the scan coils to slight altered positions on the tube. He also noted that the buzzing was very loud but could be sorted by removing the transformer from the telly. It is only there to deal with mains spikes (I am unable to comment on either of his points)
    He basically said that he would tell JL to send out a replacement.
    If the next one is no good i am gonna wait a month for the new 'Pixel Plus' Panasonic. Looks well tasty - Pal prog scan and a very thin frame.

17. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well done.

When you accept a repair instead of a replacement, you basically draw a new contract, and forfeit some of the assurances, redresses and guarantees of a new item purchase.

Also, you still have the telly while waiting for the replacement.

On the subject of spikes, does that mean that if you buy one extension lead such as Surgemaster with guarantee against spikes, you are covered?

18. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    JL have have spoken to the engineer and accept that the there is a 'problem' with the tv. Strangely they are unwilling to send out a replacement but have said i can come in and pick another model. Stranger still they have said that they are unable to send the tv's back to Toshiba because they are not faulty!?
    What to do next....
    I am reluctant to let the tv go cos i got it for £850 with 5 year warranty. I also love the fact that the stand has closed doors. I also want prog scan. Is it worth kicking up a fuss and demanding replacements until i get a good one? What have other peoples experiences been?

19. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You don´t care about Toshiba. JL do. They can sell it to one "partner" (what they call their staff) for a fiver for all you care.

Your contract is with JL. Read it carefully. Also read their customer charter vis a vis satisfaction.

Your contract was for the purchase of a satisfactory TV delivered to your address, right?

At this stage the manager is seeing its profit dissapear on the deliveries, after the loss of the price match. Not your problem.

Be tactful but firm. State what you want. If all fails explore having a full refund and start anew.

20. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    After a few firm but fair calls from me, the manager finally phoned this evening. He said that he would be happy to send out a third set, but that would have to be the last. I told him that if there was a prob with that one i would require a refund and would source the tv elsewhere. He was quite a nice chap but still insisted that the only problem he had with taking tv's back from me was that he could not send them back to Toshiba. They are apparently all within Toshibas tolerence levels even though no proper measurements have been taken. Kind of implies that all tvs which leave The Tosh depo are all within tolerance levels!! Sounds iffy.
    Fingers crossed it'll be third time lucky.

21. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good luck with this one.

It may be worth dragging it out a bit, until they stock the pictureframe 2, which has all the same features and more.

22. DanAshmoreUK

DanAshmoreUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  23. DanAshmoreUK

DanAshmoreUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah, one more thing is the 32ZD26 ANY DIFFERENT from the 32ZT29 apart from the sound? ZD being Nicam and the ZT being Dolby Digital?
    and is there any point in Dolby Digital Tv, i mean are most television programs encoded in 5.1? or is it just things like Sky Movies etc:

24. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    DanAshmoreUK

JL = John Lewis

And IMO, Dolby Digital TV is pointless... spend the extra and get a proper AV amp

25. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The 32ZT29 and 36ZT29 also have an integrated Freeview receiver.

Cerebros is from the school of thought that reckons you should buy the biggest screen you can afford, so building a system step by step. I find sometimes the price of Integrated Dolby Digital is almost free. Also it makes it easier to watch everyday dolby surround programmes like the Simpsons and Sex & the city.

£1170 will give you the 36zd26 at robertsonline.

If you find a shop (not internet) that sells a model stocked by JL ANYWHERE in the UK cheaper they will price match.

Barclaycard will refund the difference of any price (subject to conditions) found cheaper including internet and throw-in an extra year warranty.

Put all three together and you could save £££.

1 - Best service - JL
    2 - Best price - High St shop.
    3 - Extended warranty and further discount - Barclaycard.

JL is tops, but only do 32zd26. Nevermind they will have Picture Frame 2.

26. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    kwangomango

Was the third set any good? Did you keep the serial numbers of the TVs that you sent back?

The reason I ask is, if they can't send them back to Toshiba they may try and flog them off on some other punter, i.e. ME.

Also, who did you use for your pricematch to get it for £850.

Cheers,

Mat

27. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Completely incorrect. I'm from the school of thought that says buy the biggest screen that suits your viewing environment OR that you can justify the expenditure on (I could afford most of the 50" plasma's out there right now, but couldn't justify it to myself, as there are other things i'd rather spend that amount of money on).

I also think that having a proper AV amp is better as that gives you access to current and future sound formats. A DD TV will get you DD (duh!) and DPL (and on some TV's you can also get DTS), but what about SACD and DVD-A and any other formats that might arise in the future? An amp with 5.1 (or more) inputs gives you more future proofing.

From the reviews I've read, I can't recall seeing any integrated DD sets with six-channel inputs, so if you want the benefit of multi-channel music, you'll need a seperate amp.

28. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cerebros: TV manufacturers know that they are in competition with all other sorts of demands on expenditure, eg holidays, gym memberships, horseriding, pensions; not just AV gear.

Sony now make most of their profit margin from the playstation software.

Bear in mind that:
    Audio - It is easier to have stereo sound piped throughout the house than 5.1 or 6.1.

Video - The leap from tv stereo to DD is massive. The added benefits of DTS, 6.1 etc are marginal.

It's the 80/20 rule.

29. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Third set arrived Saturday. If i wasn't a already bit miffed that they had scratched my newly glossed doors, i then noted that the bottom of the box was sealed with brown tape:rolleyes:
    I mentioned to the the delivery guy who then opened the top of the box and cofirmed that it was definitely repacked. He said he would leave the tv here and i should expect a call in about an hour.
    Got no call, and the child in me insisted that i check the tv out anyway.
    :eek: The geometry was fantastic. Perfectly staright at the top edge and about 1/2mm drop along the bottom. Noted some buzzing at first but when i put the tv into 'Progress' mode and sat on the sofa i couldn't here a thing.
    Hmm what to do.... Part of me wants to keep it but part of me is suspicious about the brown tape. I don't think bird can take the hassle of anymore exchanges. BTW all of the settings were at the same defaults of the other sets i had.
    I think i'll try it out and see if i can spot any other probs.

Sorry didn't keep the serials but when in the service/designer menu i noticed a number in the OSD. First set had 163 second had 164 and third had 165. All had a batch date of 01/03/2002.

JL Cheadle branch were matching a competitor at £850. I got JL Bluewater to match Cheadle. This was in Feb though.