• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just got my PS3...

... and the first thing that struck me was how quiet it is! Seriously, I played Resistance for an hour, and the difference in noise to my Elite 360 is incredible. Watched Click afterwards and you couldn't tell the PS3 was on!

I opted for the Blockbuster deal as it is close to me in town, (extra pad, HDMI lead, 2 games, 2 blu-ray - £399 after trading in Wii Sonic & Spiderman 3).

What games would you recommend guys?

for_mandalore

... and the first thing that struck me was how quiet it is! Seriously, I played Resistance for an hour, and the difference in noise to my Elite 360 is incredible. Watched Click afterwards and you couldn't tell the PS3 was on!

I opted for the Blockbuster deal as it is close to me in town, (extra pad, HDMI lead, 2 games, 2 blu-ray - £399 after trading in Wii Sonic & Spiderman 3).

The switch from 360 to PS3 is an eye opener isn't it? I was shocked at the lack of fan noise too!

Are you happy with the deal you have? It sounds good to me.

I'd recommend Oblivion and possibly Ninja Gaiden. I just traded in NG for Resistance, can't wait to play online!

sneeks

I never bought Resistance back in March when I got the PS3 but I've been considering buying it. I'll maybe give the demo another try tonight.

inzaman

I don't own a 360 but my Bro has one and the PS3 hardware is far superior imo, shame about the games at the moment though. However i am currently playing;

1) Ninja Gaiden which i think is a great game but it is not to everybody's taste.
2) Motorstorm is a good fun, racing game.

Also if you haven't owned a PS2 then there are some great AAA titles around at a low price which can be played on the PS3. I never owned the PS2 as i had the Xbox, however the PS2 titles i have purchased to play on the PS3 are;

1) GOW 1 & 2, these are both amazing games imo.
2) Resident Evil 4.

Mr Nook

Distinguished Member
... the difference in noise to my Elite 360 is incredible.

I'm disappointed the Elite is as noisy as the old 360. My main gripe with the 360 was the noise (unacceptable to me, but some people don't seem to mind). If I was going to dip my toe back into the 360 water it would have been an Elite, but I just somehow assumed til now that it would be better quality.

Enjoy your PS3. I'm sure others will reccomend which games to buy better than I can, but I'd recommend getting your music collection loaded onto the PS3 and set to shuffle. Has replaced CD as the main music player in our living room. Also, the photo slide show is pretty good too.

RDB :)

Fen Star

Welcome to the club....R.F.O.M. is a good first person shooter well worth a play...:)

sneeks

Also if you haven't owned a PS2 then there are some great AAA titles around at a low price which can be played on the PS3. I never owned the PS2 as i had the Xbox, however the PS2 titles i have purchased to play on the PS3 are;

2) Resident Evil 4.

Thanks for the reminder :) I'm collecting RE4 from Game tonight at a great price of only £12.99, hopefully it is as good as the PS2 reviews say it is.

Bojanglez

Resistance is probably the best game out at the moment, the online play is awesome. Warhawk is released on the PS Store tomorrow and from what everyone is saying it will be a great multiplayer game.

I would also recommend you download Super Stardust HD from the PS Store, classic arcade style shooter with great high def visuals.

If you are looking for a PS2 game I would get OKAMI, I got it for £13 off play.com it's a classic.

is1111

Thanks for the reminder :) I'm collecting RE4 from Game tonight at a great price of only £12.99, hopefully it is as good as the PS2 reviews say it is.

RE4 is a fantastic game. you won't be disappointed. one of those games that you just wanted to keep playing for hours.

Thank you all for your responses, and the warm welcome into the PS3 forum :smashin:.

The switch from 360 to PS3 is an eye opener isn't it? I was shocked at the lack of fan noise too!

Are you happy with the deal you have? It sounds good to me.

I'd recommend Oblivion and possibly Ninja Gaiden. I just traded in NG for Resistance, can't wait to play online!

Yes, I was literally gobsmacked when I heard how quiet it was. My friend was saying "aren't you going to turn it on then", ha. Oblivion is a sweet game no doubt, but already completed on PC. Also, yes the deal was very good indeed I thought.

I don't own a 360 but my Bro has one and the PS3 hardware is far superior imo, shame about the games at the moment though. However i am currently playing;

1) Ninja Gaiden which i think is a great game but it is not to everybody's taste.
2) Motorstorm is a good fun, racing game.

2) Resident Evil 4.

I noticed quicker loading times on the PS3 so far (which suprised me as I heard bad things, but you should never believe something until you see it!). What I really love is the XMB, so many options on it, and the upscaling PS2 is brilliant.

I'm disappointed the Elite is as noisy as the old 360. My main gripe with the 360 was the noise (unacceptable to me, but some people don't seem to mind). If I was going to dip my toe back into the 360 water it would have been an Elite, but I just somehow assumed til now that it would be better quality.

Enjoy your PS3. I'm sure others will reccomend which games to buy better than I can, but I'd recommend getting your music collection loaded onto the PS3 and set to shuffle. Has replaced CD as the main music player in our living room. Also, the photo slide show is pretty good too.

RDB :)

Thanks for your comments. I ripped a few cd's earlier, probably going to do some more later. Can you play these songs in game?

Welcome to the club....R.F.O.M. is a good first person shooter well worth a play...:)

Thank you :thumbsup:.

Resistance is probably the best game out at the moment, the online play is awesome. Warhawk is released on the PS Store tomorrow and from what everyone is saying it will be a great multiplayer game.

I would also recommend you download Super Stardust HD from the PS Store, classic arcade style shooter with great high def visuals.

If you are looking for a PS2 game I would get OKAMI, I got it for £13 off play.com it's a classic.

Thanks for the recommendations, i'll have a look at the PSStore tonight.

SmAShY

I have had a PS3 since April and bought a 360 Elite today and yea, the 360 is wayyy noisy. Any noise from the PS3 is a deeper hum but the 360 is more of a whine :(

Alex

monkey business

RFOM is a great FPS and is really good playing online
If you'd like a game that will last you forevev then oblivion has to be it.
VT3 isn't bad either, there are loads of demos on PSN so try them out before buying. Hope you enjoy your PS3.

RFOM is a great FPS and is really good playing online
If you'd like a game that will last you forevev then oblivion has to be it.
VT3 isn't bad either, there are loads of demos on PSN so try them out before buying. Hope you enjoy your PS3.

Totally forgot about the demos, cheers :smashin:.

Must admit that me new elite is just as quiet as my ps3 ..... at least it is compared to the premium i traded in. Very happy with it. :thumbsup:
Welcome to the best of both worlds Zebra. :smashin:

Thanks!

sneeks

Zebra, right now we are not able to use our own music in-game but hopefully this may change in the future.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Zebra, right now we are not able to use our own music in-game but hopefully this may change in the future.

It's one of the options in the PS3 SDK but Sony don't require it to be a manadatory feature unlike Microsoft. Therefore it hasn't so far been used in any PS3 games. This will hopefully change.

Excellent news. It still makes a fine media player as is though :D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom