Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Just got my PS12C but ...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by john_p, Nov 20, 2003.

1. john_p

john_p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had my 28" PS12C delivered by John Lewis.

I'm not sure if it has a bit of a (convergence?) issue in 4:3 mode (look on the bottom right of the white bar, it bulges outwards considerably, and to a lesser extend on the left hand side)

[​IMG]

Also, the scrolling text at the bottom of sky news seems to 'squeeze' into the middle, and then expand at the edges ..

Is this to be expected, can I adjust it or does it need to go back. The shop demo didn't have this problem but I've seen it mentioned here before.

Hope it doesn't need to go back as it was a mission getting it in the house :D

2. k0rcha

k0rcha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to tell you bad news, but I had 4 of those TV's and all had the same problems that you mentioned. The outward bulge can possibly be fixed in the service menu, either you can do it yourself (wouldnt recommend unless you know what your doing) or you can phone the engineer out and get him to do it. But the text "squeeze", i dont know if anything can be done :(

Hope you get it sorted and have better luck than me,

Chris.

3. john_p

john_p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have fiddled about with the service menu and it's a bit better, unfortunately it seems to depend on what's being displayed on the screen; the right edge seems to bow in and out. Turning the contrast up or down moves it too.

I will give it a few days and see how I get on, but will call out an engineer if I don't like it. Are John Lewis/Panasonic reasonable about getting engineers out?

4. k0rcha

k0rcha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when you have light things on screen it goes outwards and when it is dark they bend inwards... I found it quite annoying and found myself looking at them all the time lol.

I would'nt think you would have a problem getting an engineer out either.

Chris

5. john_p

john_p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did you get it sorted in the end?

It's the only thing I don't like about the telly, otherwise it's great, currently typing this from my PC via the TV, clear as a bell :smashin:

6. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,
    From what I have read on this forum if adjusting the contrast is making a difference to the bowing it’s the power supply in the TV that is at fault.

Have a read of >>> THIS THREAD <<< describing a similar problem on a Philips TV.

Regards, Tb

7. john_p

john_p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have sorted out the 'bowing' left and right by careful use of the service menu.

However I've noticed two more annoying problems;

- a horizontal strip about 1-inch across which shows up as lighter on a dark screen (could probably live with this)

- the edges are stretched. This is actually really annoying as when the camera rolls across a scene the edges move much more quickly than the centre. Also very evident on the Sky News scrolling text bar (text is visibly wider in the left and right edges than the centre!).

I've decided I can't put up with the second problem, and am going to get an engineer out. Is there any setting they can change to fix this, or will it be new TV time?

8. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What mode (4-3 16-9 etc) is the TV in when you can notice the stretching?

9. john_p

john_p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    16:9, although it often ends up in auto mode, so maybe it's Zoom 1 or 2.. hmm I wonder .. could it be a feature of 'zoom' mode?

10. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,
    I think all widscreen TV’s do the stretching thing, well I’ve noticed it on my Philips & on a Toshiba I briefly owned.

On my Philips I use Super Wide to watch the TV unless the TV has a widescreen signal then it switches to widescreen automatically.

The description of Super wide in the instruction manual is:
    “This mode is used to display 4:3 pictures using the full screen by enlarging the sides of the picture”

I don’t know what Panasonic’s version of Super wide is called but I would imagine that it will do the same to the picture (stretch the edges to fill the screen) hence your problem.

Just another trait of these brilliant widescreen TV’s ehh :rolleyes:

Regards, Tb

11. captain_h

captain_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello john_p,

I've just checked and I have the same stretching effect on Sky News and some other Sky non-widescreen channels. I believe this is Panasonic's way of dealing with non-widescreen pictures over cable/sky, in "auto" mode. So I agree with Tel Boy about this being a "feature" and not a set-specific fault.

I've found you can avoid this if you set the TV to 14:9 or 4:3 mode, at the expense of seeing some of the brightness dependent bowing... also I share with you a tiny amount of "dirty screen" effect.

FWIW overall I'm happy with my PS12... nice detailed picture but still very natural for watching sport and fast movement. Just a shame quality doesn't appear to be what it was from Panasonic - my previous 24-inch Japanese built TV had the edge over this Czech built model, sadly.

Cheers

Capt'n

12. john_p

john_p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :smashin: sorted then, it seems to be a 'feature' of watching a 4:3 source in auto mode, whereupon the TV decides to stretch the picture unevenly .. if I switch to 16:9 or 4:3 manually there is no distortion.

Just have to get Sky+ installed now, so I can get a 16:9 source :D