Just got my Philips Q50 and......

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by evans, Mar 6, 2003.

1. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Just got my philips q50 from Hivizone and it seems quite good. although hivizone made a big no no and put the customs declaration on the front of the package and the real invoice was inside!! the customs found it and charge me a lot.

Just watched one dvd which was Mask 2 and the picture was very sharp on cvbs output. Sound was good too if only stereo. Didnt have any skipping on this dvd anyway which worried me from previous posts, colours were quite good. the on screen menu is a bit cumbersome to use but I suppose its until I get used to it. Overall my first impressions are good and I can't wait to see the pic quality when I buy a good tv as I have the 14 inch now and the pic quality is great. progressive scan must be reall good.

anybody know what is the chroma bug! keeped reading this player had it until they upgraded the firmware.

any other owners have any comments on this model? Also mine is q50 but ice cool edition (no idea what ice cool means)

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    kelvinp

thanks for pointing out the link for the chroma bug but the link seems not to be working when I press it. In any case I suspect chroma is to do with colour as it is a greek word meaning colour.
    not so sure about the bug though.

but thanks anyway

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    For a decent explanation of the chroma bug, see this thread here :)

There are more detailed, and technical explanations available if you do a search of the forums, but this one is fairly "to the point", and easy to follow :)

K.

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Sorry, I deleted my post when I realised the link didn't work and started again - must have been at the same time you were posting your reply! :)

Sorted :)

K.

5. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    thanks for the link, it explains what the chroma bug is but how do you spot it?

Anyway im not too concerned at the moment as since I got my q50 i have been very impressed with it, no freezing (as this was an issue with this model). the picture is stunning on my little 14 inch, I just watched "tuxedo" with jackie chan and it was crystal clear. Id like to see the full potential of this player on a higher definition tv it must be great. what impressed me the most was that dark scenes are very detailed and not grainy at all. For the money I paid and I think I paid alot its a good one. (365 cyprus pounds or about 380 british its still good value.