1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got my Philips 9607 - Question re: P+ though!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tnaseem, Feb 5, 2003.

1. tnaseem

tnaseem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just taken delivery of my 36" Philips 9607 today and have quickly set it up with my kit (Sky & DVD).

As a test I've just played the beginning of 'Saving Private Ryan' and noticed that with Pixel Plus enabled I get this slight 'sheering' effect on certain parts of the screen when there's fast moving things happening - A bit like the screen is 'dragging along'. not sure how else to describe it really.

When I switch to the 100 setting this goes away. Is this an inherent problem with PP? I've just gone through some of the postings within this forum with regards to PP, etc and have taken some settings down (ie. disable Active Control, etc) and am going to try that now. But I just wanted to know if this is something that is normal for this set or do I have a dodgy one that needs replacing.

Also noticed that when I bring up the blue info box on Sky, the edges are warped somewhat. Is this normal? Not noticed anything similar on normal images yet, although I haven't checked too close yet.

Also, if anyone has any advice on setup, or even can provide me with their settings, I'd appreciated it! I've found one such settings from someone here and I'm going to try that now.

Any help would be appreciated! Apologies if I'm going over already covered ground with this.

Cheers,
    Taz.

2. tnaseem

tnaseem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having taken the settings I mentioned and reading the other posts, I've turned off DNR and Active Control and the picture is much better. The sheering is not so noticable now.

Just tuned the DNR back up again a bit, just to smooth bits off. :)

It's funny actually, with PP enabled films look like they've been shot on video! Saving Private Ryan looks like some documentary now. :) This will be the extra res I imagine.

As a test I set the settings back to their original and the PP 'artifacts' still don't seem as bad as they were when I first switched the set on.

Maybe it's just me getting used to it perhaps, but I'm wondering if the set actually 'settles' down after a while?

Any comments on the vertical bendy bits on the Sky Info box? Is this a geometry problem with the set? If so should it be returned or do I just live with it? I need to know before I unpack and build the stand, in case it has to go back! :))

Many thanks.

Cheers,
    Taz.

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The bendy bits do seem to indicate a geometry problem... returning the set may get you one that's better or one that's worse. If you feel confident you can try and correct it yourself in the service menu. I have made a few posts on the topic. Search under my user id with "Philips Service Menu" as keywords and that should bring up some useful stuff.

If you need any further help, I'll be happy to oblige :)

Good luck ;)

4. tnaseem

tnaseem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks!

Actually I've noticed the bendiness is when the whole screen goes dark in between channel changes. Once the channel comes back up, the go straight again. Must be something to do with the overall contrast of the scene?

To be honest, it doesn't really bother me that much. After setting the TV up properly I'm extremely impressed with the picture quality. Even Zee TV looks better :)

Anyway, I have noticed a fault on the tube. But I'm wondering if it's worth moaning about. I've noticed that there's a 'dead' pixel in thebottom left (about 3 inches in from the side). Maybe 2.

Sitting back (about 3m away) you can hardly notice it, but now that I have, all I do is look at it! I'm wondering if it's worth talking to the suppliers about it. The only problem is that it was deilvered by TNT, and I don't if I can be bothered with the hassle of repacking the TV again!

What do you think? Moan or stick with it?

Cheers,
    Taz.

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I doubt if they would replace a TV for dead pixels. A while back I got a Philips CRT Monitor swapped because it had 2 dead pixels... I seem to remeber that the criteria was that the two pixels were within 10mm of each other, doubtless this distance will be even smaller for such a large CRT; so if it doesn't bother you I would stick with it.

You mention the bends straighten when the channel comes up... this is a sign of poor power regulation (common to all modern CRTs including mine) this is something that you'll have to live with.

p.s. leave Pixel+ on permanently for a while to see how you get used to it (if you're anything like me you'll end up thinking how much better the picture is on your TV when watching anything else! :D )

6. tnaseem

tnaseem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I could get used to the dead pixels (or is it aporblem with the shadow mask?). I've sent them an e-mail just tosee what they say. If they give me some money off I'd be more than happy.

To be honest, I don't actually want to return the TV, as I'm happy with it. Considering the problems others have been having with their 36" TV's (all makes it seems!) I don't want to end up in a similar situation witha new one.

The bendy problem I can love with as I can only see this with the Sky Info box thing. Normally the picture looks perfect.

In terms of the P+, originally I was quite disgusted with it. I actually thought there was a fault on the TV. However, playing with the settings improved it no end. In fact later on, as a test, I put the settings back and the original 'shearing' problems seem to have settled down. Maybe it's just me and I've got used to it, but I'm now more than happy with the quality.

Other people look at the picture now (especially DVD) and say things like "wow, it looks almost 3D!". not sure if they want their eyes checking... :) Even my 8 year old nephew noticed the difference, watching JP 3, between this and 'normal' TV's and liked this one better as it looked 'Real' (his words).

So overall big thumbs up for the Philips.

Cheers,
    Taz.

7. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well as far as CRTs go it could either be the shadow mask or the phosphor coating inside the tube.

Enjoy the TV :hiya:

8. tnaseem

tnaseem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you were right. :)

Just had the Philips Engineer round and he has confirmed that the phosphur dots are 'missing'. A manufacturing fault he hasn't seen in a very long time he says!

One thing he did say was that the picture quality of my particular set was one of the best he'd seen.

He suggested getting it exchanged, but to be honest I'd be happy if they just knock some money off. I don't want to get another set which isn't as good and I don't look forward to repacking the bloody thing! God, I wish I had mates to help me with it! :)

Anyway, I'll see what Panther UK (where I bought it from) have to say. So far I'm impressed with their attitude. They delivered very quickly and ring you to let you know it's been sent out. Mind you the guy rang 5 minutes after it actually arrived! :)

I'll contact them and see what they respond with.

Cheers,
    Taz.

9. tnaseem

tnaseem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update (in case anyone's interested - Probably not as I have no mates...)

PantherUK are organising an exchange of the Set. What nice chaps (& chapesses).

Let's hope the next set is as good as this without the dead pixel problem... Or should it be called Pixel Minus... he he... god I'm so funny.

Cheers,
    Taz

10. Robert

Robert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 32 inch model with 3 dead pixels! On white backrounds the pixels used to show up very clearly and were distracting. The set had other problems, example switching on and off. It goes standy when it wanted! Etc. THe set was replaced with a new one! It works fine but it have the black bars prob!

11. tnaseem

tnaseem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, so another Philips Pixel Minus owner.

(God, it's even funnier the second time I say it! :boring: )

Anyway, once I told the wifey, she called me a sad git for noticing such a small blemish on the tube.

What does she know? She watches Zee TV and thinks the quality's okay... Go figure!

Cheers,
    Taz

12. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Can you actually see the missing pixels from where you normally sit?

My TV has a small air bubble in the glass on the front of the tube, which I noticed on a very thorough inspection of the set but I can't see it when watching normally. I'd have to have a good close look now to even remember where it is!

If the set you have is a good one picture wise and the missing dots aren't noticable in normal viewing I'd forget about them and enjoy the set.

Or at least when the new set comes plug them both in next to each other and see if the picture on the new set is the same quality or worse.

13. tnaseem

tnaseem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I can see it from where I sit, but quickly forget it's there. In fact, over the weekend it hasn't bothered me at all really! In terms of comparing side by side, not sure if the TNT man will be patient enough for me to try both at once!

Further to my last post though, just got word back from Panther Online and they say that Philips said there was nothing wrong with the set which is completely different to what the engineer had to say! I'm now very annoyed.

Here's what Philips had to say according to PantherUK...

"There is no fault to repair". But later on in the e-mail Philips say that they recommend repair rather than replacement of the set.

So, how can they repair a fault that isn't there!!! Silly sods.

By the way, I don't blame Panther at all. They're only going on information from Philips - who don't seem to know what they're doing.

Panther are looking into it at present as they're completely confused (as am I!). Let's see what happens...

If no joy, I'm going to war! It's a matter of principle now...

Cheers,
    Tarique.

14. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    There is no way to repair the inside of a CRT tube. And its not viable for them to replace the whole CRT and then realign everything.

Its got to be a swap or back to the factory job.

The fault sounds like a couple of the holes in the shadow mask haven't been punched out properly and the bit of metal that should have fallen out is stuck in there. You could try tapping the front of the tube or hitting the corner of the TV with a large rubber something to see if you can budge these stuck bits?