1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got my Panny TX32PL4 from Empire

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by qfk123, Mar 21, 2002.

1. qfk123

qfk123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So far so good,

My first time using Empire direct, ordered TV on tuesday late afternoon and took delivery of the Panny TX32PL4 TV this morning at 10, after making sure everything was there , i plugged in the scart in AV1 and RF lead too, booted up the power and it tuned itself,

After setting up the TV i found myself left with building the stand which was harder than i thought it would be , took me around 3-4 hours on and off to assemble it but looks very cool. Now having set the TV up and connected and placed all the external speakers , im enjoying my First widescreen TV and superb sound.

Thanks for everyone who helped me with TV tips, I reckon the picture could be better if i got a better scart lead , i currently using a 5 year old scart which is ok , but i guess the bigger the picture the more u notice imperfections,

(any decent scart lead suggestions for under £20 Gold plated ones)

I have set the TV and sky both to 16:9 so i think it just stretches any stuff that aint 16:9 out to full screen.

Only problem so far is that the sound settings, setting it to pro logic mode results in the external rear speakers not working on some channels , but setting it to simulated surround results in all speakers being on which sound fuller, but im not a techie to comment further .

After hearing all the sad stories of people buying TVs and something being wrong i was very very wary of finding a fault, but its good so far.

2. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I truly hope you've got yourself a decent TV there, it might be an idea to check for the reported problems before you get too comfortable though (trust me, it's for your own good!).

The PL4 is basically the same as the PL1 internally and the following issues have been confirmed by other forum members:-

*"Static Bars"- supposedly caused by the combination of a finer dot pitch and a wide/flat screen, these will theoretically be present on ALL Panny TAU sets (the severity of the problem may vary though). There'll be 3 bars in all, one straight down the middle and one down each side. They're about 1" thick, run all the way from top to bottom and are particularly intrusive on field-sports coverage (something about the uniform green colour and camera panning really make them leap-out). I didn't notice them for a couple of days actually, but it's fair to say that football fans will be repeatedly irritated by them.

*"Dirty patches"- Better described as 'screen blotches' IMO, because 1) they're more intrusive than traditional dirty patches, and 2) they're not always present initially. They're a constant bother once they've appeared though, but certain types of material hide them quite well. Like I said, they weren't visible on mine to begin with, so give it a couple of days before ruling this one out.

If you're a purist, you'll probably notice jagged diagonal lines aswell (have you heard of "Lego-nose"?), but if you sit well-back you can't really tell. The RGB anomalies were probably the most damning flaws of all (though it might be more accurate to describe them as RGB catastrophes!). DVD viewing was totally ruined by a variety of foreign bodies constantly invading the image....

*"RGB Interference"- This manifests itself as either mesh-like shapes appearing at random intervals, or static/tuner seepage (or both!). This was the first problem I detected with mine and nothing ever seemed to lessen the effects (I tried removing RF, turning off all other equipment etc), but the interference was a resolutely internal issue.

*"RGB flicker"- Probably not related to the previous point because it appears on Panny's PK range too and is dependent on the source used AND the type of image displayed. On DVD playback, it will show itself as a collection of fast moving horizontal bands (most would interpret this as flickering). It's usually triggered by scenes of skylines (or similar types of same-colour area) and is more pronounced on the top half of the picture. Using STB's can make this problem MUCH worse though (sometimes as bad as a permanent flickering), but you'll just have to try it out and see what happens. I've heard that some STB's work fine, but the internet box I plugged in had a horrifyingly unstable image and every move of the cursor resulted in a visual disturbance of some kind.

*"RGB focus depth inconsistency"- If, for instance, you had a DVD showing someone walking from the background of the image all the way upto close-up range (in the space of, say, a minute), they'd be blurry and indistinct until the last ten seconds (at which point they'd become unnaturally sharp). This may well be a generic processing 'feature', but if it is, why is it virtually undetectable on S-Video connections and the tuner?.

I noticed other things too, like "Red-face syndrome" and there was a noticeable geometric kink across the bottom. These were most likely specific to my set though and would be adjustable in the service menu anyway.

Still, chin up, you might be one of the lucky ones!....

3. qfk123

qfk123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    OMG you trying to put the fear of god into me?

thanks for what to look out for much appreciated, so far i havent noticed anything bad or dirty patches any any other anomolies, i had each family member look for flaws so maybe it just a matter of time before some says "hey that dont look right"

I noticed the screen was tilted downward on the right ( borught of the search and scan banner on SKY) , but that was fixed with the geomantry(SP?) setting

4. jawa

jawa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I received my Pany TX28PL1 from empiredirect today as well. I was meant to of received it on tuesday of this week but there was a cock-up with the delivery people (Amtrack or somebody)..anyway I have it now and I am very pleased with it so far. It only cost £512 inc delivery and a free cabinet, which is a bargain! :)

I knew about the reported problems before I bought it but having played with the tv in the shop for a long period I decided I really liked the set and so far I have not noticed any of the reported problems. I expect you can find fault with most TV's if you look hard enough. Then again, maybe in time the fault might be big enough to annoy me...

The TV also looks superb. :)

Does anybody know if I should should the RGB input over S-VIDEO for DVD playback?? Is there much of a difference in picture quality?

5. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    qfk- Heh!, No I don't want to worry you unduly and it sounds like you've got nothing to worry about anyway....

For one thing, mine was a 28" PL1 and the other negative comments I've seen were for the same size model (and 28"PK3's come to think of it). It's possible that the combination of a bigger screen (implemented slightly differently?) and sitting further back removes some of the afore-mentioned issues.

Jawa- maybe we all had EXCEPTIONALLY bad 28PL1's and yours will be okay? (cross your fingers and toes).

The main thing is to try something with an RGB connection and then keep an eye out for anything untoward. Even if you do notice some of the nasties above, an engineer might be able to rectify them (additional internal shielding maybe?). Obviously you don't want to be thinking about all of this aggrevation when you should be enjoying your new TV, but it's better to find out sooner rather than later.

There's no blanket right and wrong with TV's because everyone gets an 'individual' set which will have its own personal set-up. Basically though, if the TV does everything you require of it (to a standard you find agreeable) then it's effectively problem-free anyway.

N.B That last bit was slightly insincere and written through gritted teeth. Anyone who's had a bad TV experience will understand just how hard it is to avoid slating the guilty manufacturer at every given opportunity!....

6. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might HAVE to use the S-Video socket as the RGB one on your set is potentially abysmal! (did I lose some of my fair-minded credibility there?!). In all seriousness though, try something with an RGB connection the first chance you get as the results may be of immediate interest to you and anyone considering buying the same model.

Under normal circumstances, RGB is technically better in terms of colour separation and IMO clarity/definition aswell. There are some people who insist on using S-Video instead though (certain high-end mags even claim it's superior for some unquantified reason), but it's one of those 'try it for yourself' questions. I remember that DVD's looked good through S-Video on the PL1, so whichever one you use will be fine (well, assuming the RGB isn't interference-riddled obviously!)

Like you, I did the 'looks okay to me' thing with a showroom-model, but it doesn't amount to much when you receive an unusually duff equivalent!.

qfk/Jawa, I honestly hope your sets are free of the reported troubles and it would be nice to hear of some genuinely happy customers (almost everyone on this forum has a 'tale of woe' to tell)....