Just got my new Sony...WOW!!!.......

ksteed

Standard Member
I was going to add a thread tonight to see if anyone had purchased one of these. I was going to pick one up at the weekend so am looking forward to you letting us know what you think of it.
I am suprised how cheap it is really, shame it does not record in widescreen format.
Look forward to your opinion.

kev

fcat

Banned
HI Ksteed

I havent really had chance to use it yet, first impressions after "playing" with it though

It really is incredibly small!

Menus are very accesable through the touch screen

Recording button on the LCD screen is a nice touch.shame they didnt put a zoom controll on there though.

Zoom lever is small but easily controlled with the thumb.

Most of the controls are done by the touch sensative screen, playback controlls, menus etc, theres actually only 5 buttons on the exterior! Zoom, on/off, Record, Photo shot, eject.

Has DV in and out, comes with docking cradles that has connections on for USB, IE1394, DC in (will charge whilst docked) AV in and Out. It also does analogue to Digital passthrough, playsback NTSC recorded tapes!

My hands are pretty big and when holding the unit my finger does tend to rest naturally just a bit close to the lens.

One thing i am a bit puzzled about is the battery slides into a slott thats integral in the camcorder, the slott is the exast size for the battery thats supplied with the camcorder, however , looking on websites for the high capacity battery reveals that its 3mm thicker, this means it wont fit in the slott!!

LCD screen is great, very crisp

Tape transport seams quick, 4 seconds to eject (or load) from pressing the eject button

5 seconds for camera to turn on from pressing the on button, seams long to say but its ast enough.

I opted for the balck one, its more like a very deep dark blues, and its like a metalic paint effect!!! They actually make them in Silver, Black, Red and White

For the money its actually a LOT of camcorder, i have found in the past that having a smaller camcorder you use it a lot more, this one is certainly great to carry around in your jacket pocket(even fits comfy in my jeans pocket!!) and just take it out and start shooting!!
Would i recommend it?? from what ive seen so far , definatly.

Once you see it in your hand you'll want one Ksteed,

Fcat

JayX

I've never got the whole "need a tiny cam" thing personally, I've always wanted the biggest cam I can get! There's a reason professional cams are that size, I find with these miniscule cameras you're pretty much paying for size over the quality of the internals. For the same price you could get a bigger cam that would probably shoot better images, plus the heavier the cam the better you can do a lot of shots with (definitely for stability reasons)

Not knocking you for your purchase, you seem really happy with it, it's just something I personally don't understand. I'd have one as a 3rd cam (already got 2 :D ) just to have in my rucksack or something at all times, but if I know I need a camera, I have no qualms with lugging round either my fullsize beast (generally in a big metal flightcase) or my smaller, but still 3CCD and prosumer, one in its soft case in my rucksack.

fcat

Banned
I think it depends on your needs and what your using it for.
I just want it to have in my pocket when i go on vacation or at friends partis etc. Ive no need at all to lug a big camera around just to have the picture a fraction better quality or a fraction steadier. For what the average person wants it for i would think size is of HUGE importance. I know for a fact that if i had to lug a larger camera around ide use it a LOT less than i would a small one.
Just been able to take it outa your jacket pocket, push a single button to turn it on and on to start filing within 10 seconds is exactly whats needed for most people.
If i was filming weddings, using one for a business etc then it would be a totally different thing. As it is, the footage will probably be transferred to a DVD , given to a few people who were at the party/on the vacation, they'll watch the dvd , enjoy it and probably not view it again! the last thing i want to be carrrying around on a vacation is a big metal flight case!,lol

cheers
Fcat

JayX

Heh thats where we differ, if I knew I was going to somewhere like the Bahamas again, I'd forget the clothes and just take the flight case! The colours out there combined with a nice big lens/CCD array would be heaven.

I can see where you're coming from with regards to parties etc, personally I'm really paranoid at taking my equipment into that kind of environment.. easily broke or stolen, and with such low CCD sizes (1/6" single CCD) that most have, the picture usually only turns out barely watchable anyway I found in the past (my friend used to have to shoot everything in the students union on nightmode. yech!) Thats my problem tho, I generally film a lot indoors, and for that you need a big camera full stop. Unless you're working on analog video of course. As stated if I had the budget for another camera and I didn't want another big cam (which, I probably would mind!) I'd have a lil thing for "always on me use" but I can't say I'd ever drop down that small for primary use. I'd love to see one with all the accessories on it tho :D (Beachtek XLR box, Mattebox, Shotgun mics :D) I reckon it'd look pretty cool :)

fcat

Banned
<<<<<<Heh thats where we differ, if I knew I was going to somewhere like the Bahamas again, I'd forget the clothes and just take the flight case! The colours out there combined with a nice big lens/CCD array would be heaven.

Im sure the colours are great etc but somethign like that no matter what camera you use is not going to be appreciated unless your there in person. How many times do you hear people say " the video doesnt do it justice, you had to be there to see it" ?

<<<<<<<<<I can see where you're coming from with regards to parties etc, personally I'm really paranoid at taking my equipment into that kind of environment.. easily broke or stolen,

Yeh i could imagine it not being much fun having to keep an eye on your flight case all the time while trying to enjoy the atmosphere:) mines just in my pocket, safe as houses :D

<<<<<<<<and with such low CCD sizes (1/6" single CCD) that most have, the picture usually only turns out barely watchable anyway I found in the past (my friend used to have to shoot everything in the students union on nightmode. yech!) Thats my problem tho, I generally film a lot indoors, and for that you need a big camera full stop.

Im guesssing here but ide presume most people buy camcorders and use them more on holidays than anywhere else. that being the case lighting etc should be fine. How many camcorders do you see for sale on these forums and on ebay for sale only used once on holidays or only used a couple of times!

<<<<<<<<<Unless you're working on analog video of course. As stated if I had the budget for another camera and I didn't want another big cam (which, I probably would mind!) I'd have a lil thing for "always on me use"

Again thats what a camcorder is to 99% of the people its a camera just to have with them to take a few videos when there on holiday, family gatherings etc, your in a fortunate posistion due to having 2 camcorders, most people only have one and thats why most people opt for the smaller one to always have on them to use! I myself have 3 and there all small so whats that all about,lol

<<<<<<<<but I can't say I'd ever drop down that small for primary use. I'd love to see one with all the accessories on it tho :D (Beachtek XLR box, Mattebox, Shotgun mics :D) I reckon it'd look pretty cool :)[/QUOTE]

But thats not what 99% of the general public want! (or probably even know about!, shotguns to them dont mean mics!) hence their not designed for those type of add ons, if you want those type of add ons your more than just a member of the general public who wants to shoot a few videos, to you its a hobby and somethgin that interests you and the cameras you have suit you for that reason.

:thumbsup:

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Crikey talk about lens envy!

I personally think that most of the larger laughingly called "prosumer" cameras have more to do with attracting a certain type of buyer rather than representing any massive improvement in image quality over the handycams.

I'm considering buying one of these little sony's precisely because its so small its more likley I'd bother to use it.

If on the other hand I'm shooting something serious I'll round up a film crew and an arri. I won't whip out an unweildy XL1 or pd150 say and delude myself that I've somehow become David Lean.

T

Timse1981

fcat said:
Just took delivery this morning of my new Sony DCR-PC55E WOW it this thing small for a mini dv camcorder! it the same size as a packet of cigarettes but a bit thicker.

Looks fantastic, if it performs as well as it looks it will be a cracker!!!

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_25180.html
Now you have had the camera for a few days what do you think of the camcorder? The camera seems quite good for what I would possibly use it for taking pictures of railways. I dont want a large camcorder that I need a massive bag to carry round. I would like a camcorder that is easliy carried around with reasonable picture quality.
Thanks

Tim

PS I suppose the trouble with reviews is that one person might say a camcorder has mediocore pictture quality and sound interferance. But a second person might find the noise level and picture quality acceptable.

fcat

Banned
I really havent used the camera as such yet, im going away for a week later this week and will be using it then outside, probably shoot a couple of 60 minutes cassettes, ill let you know when i get back what the qualitys like

cheers

klr10

Novice Member
Mr.D said:

I personally think that most of the larger laughingly called "prosumer" cameras have more to do with attracting a certain type of buyer rather than representing any massive improvement in image quality over the handycams.

I'm considering buying one of these little sony's precisely because its so small its more likley I'd bother to use it.

If on the other hand I'm shooting something serious I'll round up a film crew and an arri. I won't whip out an unweildy XL1 or pd150 say and delude myself that I've somehow become David Lean.
Actually I am David Lean :D :rotfl:

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
"mainframe engineer" thats rather quaint !

Do you meet with a bunch of other enthusiasts and discuss restoring the coolant systems of Crays? :D

klr10

Novice Member
Yeah, you're right - I guess I should change that. I was for a very long time (15 years) but now I work on these little toy things... I'll do it now - :rolleyes:

klr10

Novice Member
Mr.D said:
"mainframe engineer" thats rather quaint !

Do you meet with a bunch of other enthusiasts and discuss restoring the coolant systems of Crays? :D
No - it was Amdahl water cooled and we do sometimes still get completely :censored: and wonder what happened to all the old faces :rolleyes:

T

Timse1981

Wayne,

I cant find any prices for the Sony DCR-PC1000E. Do you know where it is for sale?

Thanks

Tim

JayX

fcat said:
Im sure the colours are great etc but somethign like that no matter what camera you use is not going to be appreciated unless your there in person. How many times do you hear people say " the video doesnt do it justice, you had to be there to see it" ?
Often I hear that. Generally due to people using cheap cams on fully auto mind! A good camera in full manual operated by someone who knows what he's doing + good post work can make a scene better. Ever watched a behind the scenes extra on a DVD where it looks like crap (cheap set etc) then the DVD looks great? There ya go. I know a pro photographer who removes all unwanted things from his work before they go to print (people, trees etc) and they look 100x better for it.

Yeh i could imagine it not being much fun having to keep an eye on your flight case all the time while trying to enjoy the atmosphere:) mines just in my pocket, safe as houses :D
Well I take my flightcase to gigs most weeks, and not once has anyone ever tried to make off with it. Nobody would dare try! Been hit plenty of times where my pocket is tho, one direct hit will break your LCD or lens, and its not that hard for that to happen.

Im guesssing here but ide presume most people buy camcorders and use them more on holidays than anywhere else. that being the case lighting etc should be fine. How many camcorders do you see for sale on these forums and on ebay for sale only used once on holidays or only used a couple of times!
Plenty. Why? Because people realise cheap miniDV cameras are useless for indoor shooting!

Again thats what a camcorder is to 99% of the people its a camera just to have with them to take a few videos when there on holiday, family gatherings etc, your in a fortunate posistion due to having 2 camcorders, most people only have one and thats why most people opt for the smaller one to always have on them to use! I myself have 3 and there all small so whats that all about,lol
To some, sure. You could fit my prosumer cam in a small bag tho, not your pocket granted. Most people out and about on holiday take a bag with them, especially women. Half these people would buy the slightly bigger camera in an instant if they realised the £200 on top they were paying was because you could lose it up your arse if you sat down in the wrong place, not because of any quality increase :p

But thats not what 99% of the general public want! (or probably even know about!, shotguns to them dont mean mics!) hence their not designed for those type of add ons, if you want those type of add ons your more than just a member of the general public who wants to shoot a few videos, to you its a hobby and somethgin that interests you and the cameras you have suit you for that reason.
indeed, anyone mounting those kinda accessories on a tiny cam are nutters.. still wanna see it for fun tho! like people who attempt to make their cars twice the size by adding lots of pointless plastic, would amuse me for a few minutes.

The one thing that strikes me as bizarre tho, you're standing up for your camera.. and rightfully so... but before you've even used it?! this entire thread is based on the "its so small, isn't it cute!" factor .. thats utterly bizarre in my mind! The second I get a new camera, its on and shooting video (preferably with another camera balancing on top for contrast :D).

MrD said:

I'm not quite sure if this one is for real or not.. seriously. You can't tell the difference between a £200 handy cam and a £1500 prosumer cam?! Please, don't ever even THINK about hiring out an Arri! The world has enough disasterous imagery in it already ;D I personally have one prosumer and one procam. obviously the procam is lightyears ahead of the prosumer, but it matches perfectly for a 2nd cam shoot, and as the audio will be off cam1 (xlr'd) as long as the lighting is good enough for it, much more interesting than just the procam on its own.

And DV is a great format.. best not to mention your dislike of xl/pd's to people like Lars Von Trier or Steven Soderbergh!

atmoscinema

Timse1981 said:
Wayne,

I cant find any prices for the Sony DCR-PC1000E. Do you know where it is for sale?

Thanks

Tim

Release is April 2005, £995.

Google for it.

atmoscinema

Would you say it's about as big as an audio tape, as I don't smoke?

What's the battery life like using the LCD all the time?

R

Roy Mallard

Mr.D said:

"I personally think that most of the larger laughingly called "prosumer" cameras have more to do with attracting a certain type of buyer rather than representing any massive improvement in image quality over the handycams."

This has some truth about it but some delusion as well.
For most home users basic DV cams are all they need.

Some daddys want to have the best cam at the school sports day, granted and they might then buy a sony vx or canon xm or similar only to use it on auto...

Other folk might want to actualy take control of the image in a way that handy cams just do not permit (i.e. manual gain, focus pulling, audio level controls) so although if you put both through a vectorscope and waveform monitor there wouldn't be much difference, the user input can be far greater.

My objection to 'prosumer' cameras is that rich kids buy them and suddenly think they are filmakers. A sony hc14 in the right hands is a far more powerful tool than a VX2100 in the hands of a spoilt **** who wants to make all their own films man because like the BBC are like so biased man, because I want to tell it how it is like (and become famous into the bargain).

I use pro and prosumer kit, depending on the budget of the shoot and also the requirements, in unstable areas I take the sony 900 as it gives ok res, has manual control is very portable and I look like a tourist using it so less suspicion.

Image quality suffers, but the access and material makes up for it.

If it's a sit down interview then theres no excuse for me not using the DSR-570. And yeah, it is the biggest camera at the school sports day.

JayX

Roy Mallard said:
If it's a sit down interview then theres no excuse for me not using the DSR-570. And yeah, it is the biggest camera at the school sports day.
Understatement of the century, I'll bet its bigger than half the flipping kids! Still, everyone else will have nice badly colour balanced shaky footage whilst yours will look like Chariots of Fire :D

Sad thing is, in 20 years time you know the equivalent of the 570 will be about as big as a fag packet :) And in 3D :D

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
JayX said:
And DV is a great format.. best not to mention your dislike of xl/pd's to people like Lars Von Trier or Steven Soderbergh!

Well Steven Soderbergh didn't mention using DV at all the last couple of time I worked with him and Lars von Trier can't afford me but is probably the last person on the planet who would regard the differences between a consumer and prosumer miniDV as being worth commentary. He would quite happily use a pixelvision camera if one was to hand... he might even prefer it.

JayX

His next film will probably be done with one of those lego cameras knowing him ;)

I think von triers mix of DV and Film is one of the things that made Dancer in the Dark an absolutely incredible film. Soderbergh used XL1S' for Full Frontal. Crap film most will say mind, so doesn't really back up my comments ;)

Personally I liked the use of DV (albeit in uncompressed form) in Collateral, whilst others didn't.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published