Question Just got my new LG TV -- could someone help with a couple of questions please?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my new LG 49SM8500PLA TV arrived yesterday, courtesy of Crampton & Moore, and I've set it up. Although I'm still playing with it, I have a couple of questions that I'd appreciate the opinions on please from LG owners in this forum.

1) After installation, I checked for new software and there was an update, which was applied without issue. However, post update, the TV just powered itself off twice in short succession. It looked like the TV had crashed, as my Sony soundbar, connected via ARC to the TV, was still powered-up. Post crashes, I left it running for several hours and all seemed well. Are odd crashes common after software updates on LG kit? Given that the set is brand new, I wonder if I have a faulty unit. The crashes could be down to hardware, software, a combination of both or something else. I'm going to monitor things, but if it's faulty then it will need replacing. I'm certainly not going to have a brand new TV carted away for repair. Anyway, what are people's thoughts on this please?

2) What's the deal with the Magic Remote and lack of buttons? There's no INFO button for example, so how do you check programme information, application video and audio data and so forth? Do LG offer a free standard remote if you complain? I can't get used to the cursor-based operation anyway, so a standard remote would be fine for me.

TIA, cheers, Clem.

You could always download the LG Remote App for your phone and try that ?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks. I can find several variants on eBay. I have emailed LG about this too, so am waiting for their response, along with the TV powering itself off. I don't mind paying for a remote, but I can't see why LG would provide a magic remote that doesn't offer some of the more basic functions. I have seen posts whereby LG send out standard remote control hands FOC, but if they don't then a second remote from eBay is on. I'm more worried about the TV powering itself off, TBH. It'll be a bore if I have to pack it up again.

Clem

Might have been unlucky with that update - personally not had that happen with any updates but my set us a few years old now - guess that unless other owners of your midel report the same then as you have said it's a case if suck it and see how things go :)

@shotokan101: The update worked, according to the menus. I could see the new version details, and I like the update process, whereby the update downloads in background and is applied at the next TV power cycle (unlike Panasonic TVs, where the update effectively holds you to random -- no update, no smart apps., at least on my new Pannie TV). It could just be a glitch, as you said, but I'm suspicious in that within an hour of getting the TV out of its box it's crashed twice. Still, let's see what LG say, and thanks again for the heads-up on the LG remotes on eBay. There are several to choose from and the AKB75095308 looks like a good match.

Cheers, Clem

Your welcome - let us know how you get on :)

Jim

I think you can display the INFO by using the AD/SAP button I have circled in the image below. This button also gives me access to the PS4 menu button when controlling that by HDMI CEC (Simplink) so is a handy button to know about.

1570029009631.png

Currently, my favourite 'non smart' LG remote control (with INFO button) is the: AKB75095307

@SeeMoreDigital: Yes, but the cheaper remote that you suggested didn’t seem to be a genuine LG model, whereas the one that I found, and have ordered, claims to be. Moot point perhaps, if the cheaper one does work, but having been caught before buying supposedly genuine stuff from eBay that was anything but, I’m a little more wary nowadays about buying stuff from the site.

Clem

@SeeMoreDigital: Yes, but the cheaper remote that you suggested didn’t seem to be a genuine LG model, whereas the one that I found, and have ordered, claims to be.
I can actually confirm that the: AKB75095307 remote controls work perfectly. As I'm using them for all four of my LG televisions ranging from 2012 to 2017 ;)

Well, my AKB73715601 remote arrived today. It appears to be a genuine item, and moreover, seems to work perfectly, including access to the smart apps. and so forth. Far easier to use than the Magic Remote. A tenner well spent!

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom