• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just got my new HD 1TB tera box

Hustiniano

Standard Member
Hi
I just got my brand new Sky HD 1TB box (Amstrad DRX 895) - just being launched by Sky - and wanted to check a couple of things as I start the process of moving from my existing 500GB Sky HD box (Amstrad DRX 890)

1) I connected it up and it seems to work fine with my viewing card without having to call Sky to ask them to pair it to my new box. Is that possible, or am I about to find out that I am missing some key functionality?

2) There is a yellow sticker on the box saying that the installer must do an over the air software update on first install. Again, I did not do this yet and all seems to be working fine (it has the new EPG already). Should I leave as is or do the update?

3) Is there a way to move my recordings of non premium channels from my 500GB HD box to my new terabyte HD box?

4) If I switch the viewing card back to my 500GB HD box it does not let me watch the recordings I have there unless I also reconnect at least one of the cables from the satellite dish. Is that the only way to watch my backlog on the old box, or is there something I am missing and need to do to make that easier?

Many thanks

killz187

Established Member
Just wanted to find out did you have to pay a lot of money for this box?or its a trail box ,also any chance of pictures of the box please.

The only way of moving recordings from the 500gb to 1tb is using copy+ which means opening both boxes.

technowizard

Established Member
Why would you have got a new box already as the DRX 890's have only just been lauched?

Giblets2

Established Member
I think you got the model number wrong, it's an DRX 890&3/4? :facepalm:

nick270881

Established Member
Hi
I just got my brand new Sky HD 1TB box (Amstrad DRX 895) - just being launched by Sky - and wanted to check a couple of things as I start the process of moving from my existing 500GB Sky HD box (Amstrad DRX 890)

1) I connected it up and it seems to work fine with my viewing card without having to call Sky to ask them to pair it to my new box. Is that possible, or am I about to find out that I am missing some key functionality?

2) There is a yellow sticker on the box saying that the installer must do an over the air software update on first install. Again, I did not do this yet and all seems to be working fine (it has the new EPG already). Should I leave as is or do the update?

3) Is there a way to move my recordings of non premium channels from my 500GB HD box to my new terabyte HD box?

4) If I switch the viewing card back to my 500GB HD box it does not let me watch the recordings I have there unless I also reconnect at least one of the cables from the satellite dish. Is that the only way to watch my backlog on the old box, or is there something I am missing and need to do to make that easier?

Many thanks

How did you get hold of one of these???

czytt

Established Member
Hi
You have to have a signal from the satellite to watch recorded programmes. Irritating, isn't it?

Jerry

Ray_Woodward

Established Member
Hi

Many thanks

So what you are saying that it is identical to any other Sky+HD STB (apart from the increased HD capacity).

WOW! Who'd have thought it ..:rolleyes:

HDCriticalFan

Established Member
The answers you don't have yet :-

Six and two threes. As you already have the new EPG then you probably have the very latest software. If the box works OK then you may as well just leave it - it'll d/l new versions automatically as they come along.

If you are a "fiddler" (like most of us here !) then power off the box at the mains and hold down "Backup" (on the box, not the remote) whilst re-applying the mains power. If you keep holding backup for several seconds you should see all four LEDs come on. Now you can relax and leave the box alone for 20 mins. It will then have the very latest "known good" software on it.

Yes ... and no. ;)

You can open up the box, take the HDD out and use a PC to control the transfer of the entire contents of your old HDD to the new one using the excellent Copy+ free software. This will of course invalidate the warranty.

I eagerly await news from people who try this, because I have a 1Tb disk (860 gig usable) in a very old Thomson box and I quite like the idea of transferring this to a brand new box (with 1Tb usable).

How easy are these boxes to open ? How quite do they run ? How fast are they ? My Thomson runs very slow with a lot of recordings on a 1Tb HDD :(

Regards

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
ok so if it's a 1Tb drive how much is allocated to anytime and how much for the user?
Is it the same as the standard HD box eg. half an half

What I'm asking is are we 'only' going to be able to use 500gb?

I Could really use a bigger HDD without resorting to a DIY job :rolleyes:
but might have to wait till it drops in price from £250 plus £60 installation :eek:

ian-d

Established Member
ok so if it's a 1Tb drive how much is allocated to anytime and how much for the user?
Is it the same as the standard HD box eg. half an half

What I'm asking is are we 'only' going to be able to use 500gb?

I Could really use a bigger HDD without resorting to a DIY job :rolleyes:
but might have to wait till it drops in price from £250 plus £60 installation :eek:

1.5TB drive, 1TB personal space, 500GB retained by Sky

Andyduz

Established Member
I wonder if Sky have upgraded the psu in this new box? This was a known issue with the older boxes due to low quality capacitors.

technowizard

Established Member
This was only an issue with the Thomson boxes, it didn't affect other manufacturers.

Starwarsclark

Prominent Member
Highly unlikely I know but any chance they have enabled the eSATA & Ethernet ports on this new box?
VOD is coming....
:D

DrSeuss

Established Member
what are the outputs?

redknag

Established Member
Really want to know if it has a 1TB or 1.5Tb drive. Phoned sky to ask, but just got a drone telling me 4x the old one. He asked around, but said they had no proper technical information. Also would like to know what outputs this has, as i will be losing the component outs from my old box.

c13ugg

Established Member
Would you be able to post which specific HDD is in this box. it would be good to hear what impact it has on the EPG after you have a few recording. Mine as with lots of other people runs slow when you have lots of recordings

Steve N

Distinguished Member
might have to wait till it drops in price from £250 plus £60 installation :eek:

Just rung Sky and told them I don't need installation as I can do that myself.
Unfortunately - You have to pay the installation cost regardless :mad:
So price for existing customers £309.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom