1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got my new GC, but !!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Jules12, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have one question, I don't seem to have a switch on the back of the Gamecube. All the menus are in English so do I assume that I have a USA game playable cube only, or is this some new switch that automatically detects the region of the game ??

For your info I definately ordered a JPN/USA modded cube. Got it from Lik sang and have sent them a mail an awaiting a reply.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    you have a US gamecube.

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    try pressing down on the reset button.
    I've seen some from Hong Kong that have the switch built into the reset button. It also changes the LED from Orange to Blue..
    Worth a try..

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like you do indeed have a USA machine or a JPN machine that has been permenantly converted to play only US games. What was the Gamecube box like? The Japanese box is easily distinguishable from the USA one as it is smaller and has some Japanese text on it. It also opens lid-up rather than the USA top-panel opening.

One sure-fire way to find out is to simply check the underside of the Cube. If it is a USA model the silver Nintendo Label will have the markings DOL - USA 001. If it's Japanese, it will read JPN instead of USA.

As museamsteve pointed out, the USA/JAP conversion can be built into the RESET switch although this is not the best way to have it done. Did you get charged any import duty/VAT? If not, and Lik-Sang messed up and sent you the wrong machine, I wouldn't go to the bother of returning it. Instead, get the conversion done in the UK and try and get Lik-Sang to refund you in the region of £30 or ask for a free Controller etc.

I would do the conversion for nothing for you if you like but the p&p costs alone to Northern Ireland would be around £30 anyway. Alternatively, if you're competant in soldering (and have * very * good eyesight), you can do the mod yourself. I'll send you comprehensive instructions, a switch and the requisite wire (for free) if you are confident you can do it.

5. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It is definately a JPN gamecube, the box and all instructions are in japanese.
    I will try the reset button thing tonight when I get home, but as long as it plays US games I am not really that bothered. I don't see myself buying a lot of JPY games anyway.
    I will check my e-mail later to see what Lik Sang have to say, trying to get another controller out of them seems like a good idea.
    I did get charged import duty but I don't think I can be bothered to send it back.

Just too bone idle!!
    I'll let you know what lik sang say tonight

6. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have liksang machine then the switch is as follows:

at the back at the bottom you will see a series of grills to keep the machine cool. In one of those is a little silver plate with a tiny switch on it (not labelled) that is the switch to change from jap to usa

you may have missed it on 1st inspection as its small

stewart

7. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have discovered it know and it is indeed biult into the reset button.
    Grounder you stated this is not the best way of doing this, can I ask why? Can it cause a fault ?

I must say I got Rougue Leader yesterday from cd universe, great game, great service.
    Thanks for all the help lads.

8. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    switch attached to reset switch isn;t the best way as it is hot-glued to the side of the reset switch inside. I've already repaired 2 of these as the region switch starts to move after some use and eventually falls out of reach of the reset switch.Back grill is much better IMO..but hey if it works then cool..:)