Just got my first super-bit disk....

Bristol Pete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up The Fifth Element Region 1 super bit for just £12.00 at my local DVD retailer.

All I can say is wow:zonked:

In my opinion, the Picture is great, but the sound is simply fantastic :eek: :eek: :eek:

Short and simple, but I will certainly be buying more super bit!

Cap:smashin:

Is it just me or are these things like rocking-horse whatsit? I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of superbit releases ... tried looking at r1dvd.com but that's just a mess, no easy way to locate superbit titles that I could see except for a page of maybe 15 or so presumably latest ones.

Where's the best place to source these?

Good film. Shame RR had to ruin it though :( I would buy it otherwise; but he just ruins every single scene he's in.

I got Resident Evil yesterday, my first Superbit and I was impressed. I can not wait for JP to get released over here at a reasonable price, with full rate DTS!

Originally posted by gunn0r
I got Resident Evil yesterday, my first Superbit and I was impressed. I can not wait for JP to get released over here at a reasonable price, with full rate DTS!

It won't be released over here mate...it's a Universal release here. All Superbits are Columbia Tristar. The only way you are gonna get JP SB is to order it fro cdjapan...

Why don't other companys release SuperBit titles? They would probably have to call them something else like MegaBit or something, but it would be good as we would have more choice. Has anyone heard anything about this? Or are Superbit sales not doing to good!

Thanks Iain and bowenjones, looks like I've plenty of potential sources now. :smashin:

Any likelihood the LoTRs will come out in Superbit?

None - not in this country anyway. It's not CT...but EIV.

Can't think why anyone would want a superbit version anyway - surely the 4 discer will suffice with it's DD EX and DTS ES tracks...and the film over 2 discs 2 improve the picture quality...:confused:

Originally posted by Army Bloke
None - not in this country anyway. It's not CT...but EIV.

Can't think why anyone would want a superbit version anyway - surely the 4 discer will suffice with it's DD EX and DTS ES tracks...and the film over 2 discs 2 improve the picture quality...:confused:
Agree with you fully on this.
There are so many transfers by other studios that are as
equally good as CT's superbits.
I wouldn't be surprised if the bitrates are just as high on
them too!
To me, other companies don't feel the need to "market" their
products the same way that $ony does.

Is FoTR:EE DTS-ES? Thought it was plain old DTS? It's not 6.1 I'm pretty sure.

Well there you go, must learn to read the packaging properly :blush:

But I thought Superbit was supposed to be better quality video as well? The 4 commentrary soundtracks on FoTR must take up a good amount of space which would otherwise be useful for video, no?

The R4 Superbit version of The Fifth Element is by all accounts an improvent again over the R1 Superbit.

Originally posted by KRaGorn
Well there you go, must learn to read the packaging properly :blush:

But I thought Superbit was supposed to be better quality video as well? The 4 commentrary soundtracks on FoTR must take up a good amount of space which would otherwise be useful for video, no?
Bear in mind that the soundtrack takes up very little space on
the disc compared to the video and in the case of commentries,
these take up hardly any room at all.
According to the specs for The Fifth Element R1 dvd, the dts
soundtrack takes up 20% of the disc space and the picture
gets the rest.
A dolby digital soundtrack takes up a considerable ammount less
again.

Originally posted by bowenjones
the dts
soundtrack takes up 20% of the disc space and the picture
gets the rest.
This quote was wrong:suicide:
The whole audio takes up just 20% of the disc - dts and dolby
digital 5.1 soundtracks.

LDR...

How is the R4 Superbit version of The Fifth Element better than the R1 version?

I'm wanting to pick this up myself, and obviously would like the get the best version available...

Regards,
Iain.

If you are looking at value added extras then yes the german release has the best spec, but as we are talking superbit titles then this R4 review compares favourably against the R1 superbit release.

Another thing..you try tracking down that german special edition..it aint gonna be easy..or cost effective for that matter.

Yes, I understand you were talking about the superbit version,but
as I said earlier, you sometimes get comparable picture
quality on non-superbit discs and with this German version
being a 2 disc set with a plethora of extras and a 6.1
soundtrack then this might be the best version available
regardless of it not being a superbit title.
I think a lot of people would pay that little bit extra to get
the best version of any title but sometimes the differences
can be too small to warrant paying too much.
In this case though, and with the imminent arrival of the R2
special edition, then the extras might sway it for some as it may
do in Iain's case.

Originally posted by miniroll171
Why don't other companys release SuperBit titles? They would probably have to call them something else like MegaBit or something, but it would be good as we would have more choice. Has anyone heard anything about this? Or are Superbit sales not doing to good!

I think it's because Superbit titles deviate from the dvd spec slightly to allow for things like no layer change delay - and they only get away with using the dvd logo because Columbia Tristar = Sony

There's no reason why other dvd authors can't make discs with high bitrate picture and sound, no extras or free space, and a good quality transfer and sound mix.

The german special edition of The Fifth Element has terrable picture quality. As does the UK pathe version. Pathe are going to release a special 2 disc edtion with DTS here soon.

If the R4 PAL superbit is scaled down from the same HD master as the R1 NTSC superbit, and all things being equal with regards to the transfer process, the R4 version would be higher definition just because PAL is 720x576 and NTSC is 640x480.

It'll be interesting to see how the new Pathe version compares.

would it even be worth to buy superbit dvds in my case?

I have a panasonic 28" widescreen with a dts and dolby decoder (only surround (ie no LFE)) and three external speakers wired in.

Sorry to deviate the thread slightly, but i was under the impression that superbit is the forté of high definition tv aficiendos and home cinema types.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom