1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just got my first PJ, please help me get a picture on it !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by akerman, Dec 3, 2004.

1. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I just got my Panasonic AE700 today, and a HDMI cable + DVI adapter.

I have pointed the projector at a white wall (unfortunately my screen hasn't arrived yet) and powered it on. A blue picture has appeared on the wall, with some white text saying "VIDEO AUTO".

The HDMI cable is plugged into the projector, and also into the DVI-out port of my Radeon 9800. When I go to the "Displays" tab in the radeon drivers, I can only access my CRT monitor. I can't switch to any of the other displays.. I have installed powerstrip, but I can't find any "switch to another display" option.... can someone help? :lease:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Does the AE700 appear on the "Displays" tab? Was the projector powered on before the PC? I've known an already running PC not recognise a device connected via the DVI socket if that device is powered on later.

BTW, at this stage Powerstrip isn't useful, it won't affect the ability to enable the display.

3. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm powered off the computer. Reseated cables. Powered it on again. This time there was no picture on either monitors. But when I pulled out the HDMI cable and rebooted, my CRT showed a picture as normal. So it seems I can't have both cables connected at the same time? =((

Anyway I tried only having my projector plugged in - rebooted - still just a blue screen on the projector... changing inputs from VIDEO to HDMI/PC to CMPNT doesn't change anything....

:( :(

Edit. I have also tried lowering resolution to 800x600@60hz, still no picture... aaaaaaaaargh.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm beginning to think you've got a faulty video card, you're absolutely supposed to be able to run both at once.

You didn't tell me, does the AE700 appear in the Display tab and identified as such?

5. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really doubt it's the video card. Been running with it for half a year, without problems.

When there is nothing but the DVI cable in, the monitor is listed as plug-n-play monitor in the "Display:" drop down box, and under the display tab, it says "FPD". No mention of a panasonic AE700 anywhere.

6. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    akerman - I think Kragorn means right click your desktop and click on Properties. When the Display Properties window appears click on Settings. How many monitors are showing here? Mine shows two, but the Z3 wasn't named - it was just a default monitor.

Also, do you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card?

Mark

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, but have you been using DVI? Up till now you haven't really indicated what you've had working before, are you saying the DVI worked connected to some other device?

That's not really ideal, it means the card doesn't recognise what the device is .. my ATI 9600 'knew' that my projector is a Sharp Z200E and what resolution it can handle.

However, you should still be getting the desktop displayed on the projector, that fact you're not leads me to think there's a hardware problem somewhere .. either the card, the cable or the projector. I've never experienced the situation when, with only one monitor device connected to the DVI port that I didn't get a display.

With only the DVI connection in use, when you boot the PC, do you see the BIOS messages on the projector? If you don't then IMHO that proves there's a hardware problem in the chain.

8. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two monitors showing (as I've always had in windows xp, regardless of whether I really had two or not!) - one says "Plug n play monitor" and the other is "Default monitor".

If I plug in my DVI-cable, my CRT monitor switches off, and I can't see a thing. So then I use TightVNC from my notebook (a remote desktop proggie) to access my desktop PC, so that I know what's going on. If I look under the display tab, it shows that it has found an "FPD" whatever that is - then I press to view properties, and it says: "AE700"! So it has found the projector. Problem is it sets the resolution way too high - something like 1520x1140. I don't know how to correct that...

Kragorn-> nope no bios on the projector... I've had nothing but the blue picture.

Oh and I'm using newest omega drivers.

9. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK if I use "Force 720p mode" I can make the resolution 1280x720@60hz - the ideal resolution. The projector doesn't react to it though, it's still showing that blue screen......... :( :rolleyes: :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    It sounds like you are not using proper drivers for the monitor/graphics card. A plug n play status happens when Windows cannot find a suitable driver.

11. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Somehow I doubt windows xp has built in drivers for the AE700 =)

12. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
  13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The fact that it shows the projector as an AE700 is encouraging :), it means that it can 'see' it and negotiate the handshake when it's initialising.

My continuing problem here is trying to figure why you're not seeing anything at all. When I first installed the Catalyst drivers with my Sharp it first set the resolution right up at 1920x1080i 'cos that's the highest resolution the Sharp suppports, but at least I was able to force it down .. I'm sturggling think of any reason why, given it knows it's talking to an AE700 that it's having problems displaying an image.

14. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi again - when you click on the ATi Displays tab how about clicking on Troubleshooting and then Force Detection Of My TV?

Mark

15. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My computer has already detected the projector as an "FPD" (I'm guessing that means front projection display), with the name "AE-700", so detection isn't an issue anymore :)

Problem is getting a compatible signal to the projector it seems...

16. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    True, but in my (limited) experience I have realised that sometimes, although the computer shows that it recognises a PJ it may still be attempting to use the settings from your CRT. I thought that by using the Troubleshooting Force Detection mode it may sort this possible issue :)

Having just re-read your first post - there is a place in Powerstrip to change monitors - both monitors need to be attached, and it's on the startup page of Powerstrip once you click on the Configure tab.

17. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Within the pj's set up menu, can you check to see that the DVI/HDMI connection is activated( the box is ticked) if this connection is not activated, then selecting it in the source selection will not reveal a picture.

18. akerman

akerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An update from the land of the truly weird:

I had tried everything. I had given up hope. I disconnected my HDMI cable, and measured the internal resistance, just for kicks - including the DVI-adapter, the resistance was immeasurable by my multimeter, meaning that it was so low it could not detect any resistance.
    Before I plugged the cable back in, I turned it 180 degrees, theoretically it would make absolutely no difference as the cable is the same at both ends, but why not give it a shot.
    Surprise! The moment I plugged the end that used to be in my computer, into my projector, a clear and calm picture shot onto my wall..!! Problem solved =) A natural explanation for this, I can't find though.

Another nice thing, is that now I can have a picture on both the PJ and my monitor at the same time, which I could not before. My monitor is running 1600x1200@85hz, and my projector has no problem displaying (part of) that picture. So much for fiddling with powerstrip to find exactly the resolution the projector would accept......