1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got my DSP AX 750SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RemotecUK, Jul 23, 2004.

1. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I would add my 1st impressions and they are first impressions as I havent had time to properly test the thing out yet...

On the amp itself...

- Speaker bindings wont accept banana plugs (but this was no big deal to me).
    - Looks stunning on the bottom shelf of my rack. The actual design of the amp I really like - controls feel solid and are positioned well.
    - Display is a bit cluttered however because of the display colour (orange) you dont really notice it - I prefer the display colour to my old Marantz SR5400 as its less intrusive.
    - Sensible locations on rear panel for inputs and well labelled.
    - Seems fairly light in weight.

Using it ....

- S-Video to component upsampling worked well. Note that the OSD doesnt appear to work when you are using a component input BUT you can still get the menu up, it just wont overlay over your dvd etc.
    - Yet to try compostite to component upsampling.
    - Auto setup worked well and was easy to use. There are no parameters that are incorrect and the distances etc to speakers are reasonably accurate.
    - Has a useful "straight" mode to bypass the processing modes and tone controls.
    - Has a pure direct mode to bypass everything - even turns off the display and illuminates a bright blue LED which Im not sure on yet! This switches the amp to stereo mode however.

On the sound / image ....

- Compared to my SR5400 on DD/DTS the amp sounds ever so slightly more vauge when playing some of my reference material and lacks some of the perceived punch on of the SR5400 - it doenst quite seem to "attack" you in the same way (sorry to use laymans terms but best to describe it as I found it).
    - Sound is clear and defined, centre channel remains clear and amp appears to steer other channels well.
    - Although I said earlier that it appeared to lack some punch the level of bass is spot on. Watching Minority Report where they use those pulse rifle thingy's in the car plant the bass was excellent, clear and not over the top - and I dont have a sub on my system.

- On the image, not much to say, no real difference in quality running my component DVD via the amp.
    - OSD is excellent, clear and easy to read with just right amount of information.
    - Love the upsampling as I dont have an all-in-one remote so I can just leave the plasma on component input and amp switches the signals - one less remote control to use.

Other ...

- Just to add I like the remote control. Solid, backlit display and easy to use. Much much much better than the remote I had on the old SR5400.

In general (with the caveat I havent used it much) so far I am impressed with this amp. I need to take some time to listen to it properly (which would have been this weekend if my bath hadnt leaked through my kitchen :eek: ). I think the amp is good value for money with no real problem areas but I'll know more when I listen to it more.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Did you replace the SR5400 with the 750? That sounds like a sideways move if you did....

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    They will- take a banana plug and push at the end of the terminal, you'll meet a small amount of resistance, before the plug pushes through the little protective flange :)eek: ) and bingo!- banana plug ready :).

4. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I did replace the SR5400 with the 750. In regard to being a sideways move I think I paid around £80 more than I did for the 5400 but the 750 has a lot more features and I consider it to be better value for money - at the moment anyway!!

5. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    What's wrong with sideways moves? I've been moving sideways (apart from when I had the A1) since I started with AV, and have never been happier than with my 750. Aside from the A1 and A2's lovely flaps. - ooer!

6. jfw08

jfw08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had 3 SR5400 & they all went on the blink, so i decided to go for the Yam 750. I think the 750 sounds far better + the bass is better controlled, imo.

7. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    I also made like a crab and stepped sideways from SR5400 to 750SE. Reason was continuing trouble with Marantz AV receivers, the latest of which was to loose sound through the centre channel after the receiver had been on for a while (despite (a) it being properly ventilated on an open stand and (b) having worked perfectly well (a first!) for over five months).

My impresssions of the 750SE are also good - have yet to really, critically listen but it seems to sound less 'plasticky' than past Yammy amps I had heard. Sound also seems less warm than before. Compared to the SR5400 I do notice the same lack of punch as noted above, but the sound is definitely more detailed and sense of space seems better. Have yet to play with any of the enhanced surround modes or DSP effects.

8. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Listening in stereo, I found that the Yamaha has a narrower soundstage than my previous HK. This may be because I always used to listen in 5 channel Logic 7 on the HK, but am using the stereo in the Yammy. After a few weeks with the Yammy, as usual, I don't really remember what the HK sounded like, and am perfectly happy with the sound.

9. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like quite a few people have ditched SR5400's due to being faulty. Shame because I liked the sound of the amp - in fact I think I like it more than the Yamaha. I agree with the last posting that the sound stage sounds narrower albeit I refer to listening to DD/DTS sources. I also think that the 750 sounds a little more confined/restrained that the 5400 and doenst give the sound in my room the same presence.

On the whole Im happy with the unit however and wouldnt swap back to an SR5400 for all of the tea in china though :).