1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got my Denon 500

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by NickHe, Dec 9, 2004.

1. NickHe

NickHe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's great ! Really pleased with it. Going to spend today tweaking.

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Congratulations, it's a great all-in-one.

For when you're tweaking....a couple of reviews I read reckoned that the sub-woofer sounded better if you knock around -6db off it's output level. They felt at the factory defaults the bass of the sub was a bit OTT and made the "sound stage" un-balanced.

Also, I'd be interested in your thought on where you set your subs cross-over, I can't decide if 120Hz or 150Hz sounds better.

Have fun

Nathan

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am glad you like it too, my family thinks it is excellent too and a lot better than our previous Sony separates set up.

4. HurleyFX

HurleyFX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Another happy new owner here :)

5. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats on the new purchases guys, I don't think you'll be disappointed. :thumbsup:

I've heard that mentioned before, but I think I must be the odd one out here? I tried the sub at -6db and wasn't happy. I think it's currently set at +4db. Each to their own (ears) though I suppose. :)

Nathan - I can't decide about 120/150Hz either. Probably cos it doesn't sound much different to me. Maybe my hearings shot altogether? Might explain why I need the sub on +4db ;)

6. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yep, I don't actually notice the difference between 150Hz and 120Hz crossover (I'm sure others might) so keep it at 150Hz.

Regarding sub-woofers levels, I basically have all the other speaker levels, using the on-screen set-up menu, at all around +10db and the sub-woofer at around +5db. The reason I've got thenm set high is at the 0db level I sometimes found the unit a bit quiet unless the volume was over 45 - and then the fan kicks in at anything at over 45 which I found mildly irritating.

Sometimes I do tweak the bass up a tad using the status button by about +2 (don't think that's anything to do with the speaker level)

Well, that's how I've got mine set up - reading this I sound like a realllllly interesting person-my girl friend must be proud.

Nathan

7. pitijopo

pitijopo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have just bought the Denon DHT-500SD Home Theatre System. I have connected it using a scart cable and the DVD is superb. Unfortunately I can not manage to get the TV (Sony digital TV) sound through the theatre system. What shall I do? Thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

Mauricio

:lease: