Just got my 6230...

kelvin

Prominent Member
Reaction score
...so thought I'd post a few "first impressions" here for anyone thinking of getting one :)

I actually picked the phone up yesterday so I've had a bit of a chance to play around. So far I'm over the moon with the phone! :smashin: It does everything I need it to very well, and has a few nice "toys" on it to boot. Without doubt the best Nokia I've owned to date :)

The speed of menu/phone book navigation is beyond belief, camera quality is very good, and the internal MP3 player is also both easy to use, and of reasonable quality. The addition of a MMC memory card by Nokia is a huge bonus - the phone comes supplied with a 32MB card.

I did struggle a little with Nokia's "joystick" thing at first - coming from a 6610, I'm used to hitting the "top left" button to select but I now have to adapt to hitting the centre of the joypad which is more fiddly than I initially thought it would be. I also had a slight issue with Caller Groups at first (the feature didn't work! :rolleyes: ) but a quick "google" gave me the answer. I am surprised Nokia released a phone with such an obvious "bug" though I must admit...

So far the battery has stayed on the "full" mark despite my constant fiddling so I'm guessing battery life will also be reasonable. Keep your eyes peeled for further updates though... :)

Obviously this is a very brief overview of the phone so far but feel free to ask any questions. On the whole (as you can see ;)), I'm VERY pleased :)

K.

i am looking to buy one of these soon, will be upgrading from a nokia 6100. whats this "bug" that you mention and how annoying is it?

The "bug" prevents you from allocating a caller group to anyone and/or editing the individual caller group profiles. If you attempt to do either, you are simply taken back to the "home" screen.

It's solved by doing a "restore factory settings" - so not too annoying provided you do it early on :)

K.

Hi Kelvin,
Can you use your own headphones with the MP3 player? And does the music stop when someone calls?
Thanks.

Hi shoehorn,

The music stops when someone calls yes, but you're restricted to using the standard Nokia headphones.

Owing to the fact that the supplied headphones double up as a handsfree unit, they connect to the phone via Nokia's "pop port" interface.

K.

I've also just upgraded (from a 7250) to the 6230 - all I can say is - what a bloody good phone, I'm more impressed with this phone that I have been with any mobile since my first Nokia (a 2110i no less) - excellent features - INCLUDING BLUETOOTH - at last! - and all wrapped up in a quality package, topped off with Nokia's intuitive user interface.

I had played around with both a Motorola V600 and a Pansonic X70 prior to the 6230 - and I'm afraid these phones are a long way off from the Nokia package.

The camera functions arent really important to me - I'm just looking for a quality phone in a small neat package with Bluetooth and good UI.

I think I'll be getting my wife a 6230 shortly to replace her 7210.

Thoroughly recommended!

I am considering getting the 6320 as a nokia with tri-band and email -- question, my mail server uses IMAP SSL (port 993). Can anyone confirm if the email 'java midlet' supports this.

Thanks.

I got one today and I must say, it is FANTASTIC!!!

Everything about this phone is great! Now I just gotta learn how to use it!!!

Hi Kelvin

I got the 6230 for free on contract, its a nice phone, the pics\video
quality isn't as good as some of the Sharp phones but will do for
now.

Can you recommend a particular Bluetooth - USB or Firewire
adapter? Or will any do?

I was thinking of this one :

http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=mchp&page=title&r=GADG&title=165957

Its cheap and cheerful and would be enough for the job.

Shaz

Unfortunately, not having used a Bluetooth adaptor for my PC before I'm unable to comment in this instance... :blush: Sorry about that...

I'm sure some other forum members must have some experience with adaptors though so I hope you get the answer to your question.

If it's of any use to you, I have read good things about both the Belkin, and Acer dongles :)

Good luck...

Kelvin.

Cheers! I had my eye on the Belkin one. ;)

I bought my 6230 over a month back, and agree with kelvin that the joystick is hard to use. I currently have about a 80% success rate while trying to press the centre.

More importantly I found that the infra red link up to my laptop would not function properly with the memory card in. (I tested this on a second laptop and with different versions of nokia suite with no luck). With the memory card removed, infrared would function fine but of course I would be unable to interact with the memory card. This was mainly a problem when trying to upload music files as it would limit you to the capacity of the phone - one possibly two songs. On the other hand, the suite worked fine with bluetooth and so this would only be a concern to people without bluetooth.

Perhaps others could confirm if this is a problem.

Other quirks are that the radio settings application only works with infrared, not bluetooth. Otherwise an amazing phone.

Im thinking of this phone now too, either it, the 6820 or the sony T630..... anyone got any advisements on those? Im kinda hopeful I can wangle a bluetooth headset with a contract given that it is likely to come in at about £45 a month.....

ad

damage said:
More importantly I found that the infra red link up to my laptop would not function properly with the memory card in. (I tested this on a second laptop and with different versions of nokia suite with no luck). With the memory card removed, infrared would function fine but of course I would be unable to interact with the memory card. This was mainly a problem when trying to upload music files as it would limit you to the capacity of the phone - one possibly two songs.

I think I know what you mean, in that I had a similar problem at first with accessing my phone (specifically when trying to download photo's).

Try re-naming the MMC (in it's factory form it's un-named) - I was advised to try this and it worked for me :)

Let me know how you get on...

K.

i bought a 6230 and recently, when i listen to mp3 music, tracks begin to skip, and some are just not recognised. however, in aac format, it doesnt skip and is fine. aac format is crap sound quality, so does anyone know how to stop mp3's skipping?

i bought a 6230 and recently, when i listen to mp3 music, tracks begin to skip, and some are just not recognised. however, in aac format, it doesnt skip and is fine. aac format is crap sound quality, so does anyone know how to stop mp3's skipping. please help

Did anyone get this on a Free upgrade on Vodaphone or did you have to pay a small fee.

My contract runs out in September and i want one of these phones. One of the guys in my office asked for one from Orange but they wanted to charge him £50.00

Also do u need to buy a cable to link the phone to your PC (dont have a notebook) so you can load MP3's onto it??

I Assume the MP3's i use in Winamp willl be ok??

Are there Any other websites that have reviews on this Phone??

Thanks

Dal

You can transfer files to the phone in a number of ways - a cable is one option, but you can also use IR, or Bluetooth if you'rs PC supports it. Alternatively, you can buy a card reader and copy the files directly onto the MMC card :)

Any mp3 files, or AAC files on your PC can be transferred across without a problem.

As for reviews, I suggest you check out the forums at www.howardforums.com - if you get through everything that has been posted on the 6230 over there then you deserve a medal ;)

K.

Whats the screen like on the 6230 ? The screen quality on previous Nokia phones has been nothing short of sh*te !

Having lived with this phone for a while now I can say that the only negatives comments I could make about it are that the earphones plug is only pushed in, not clipped in and that the screen gets scratched easily. In fact, it seems to do it for fun...

Re the earphones plug, a good thing about it not clipping in is that if the phone goes a funny angle in your pocket, the earphone plug will just pop out instead of getting damaged.

I am having trouble with the MP3s on this phone!

They play OK, and I have them on 256mb mem card, BUT the phone pnly plays one song at a time. I have the tracks in on the memory card, in folders, but tried them straight on the memory card and it does the same! Any ideas!

Cheers

Jonathan

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom