1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got my 5G iPod

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by danwalton, Oct 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Went for the white 30 gig, its loading songs now so I thought I'd take the time to let you all know its absolutely beautiful. Those pics on the net really don't do it justice. The finish on the front is particularly stunning. Oh, and its really, really slim. Much more so than my brother's 4g 20 gig. So far, i'm really impressed! Dan

2. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice one

3. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dan,

...i dont suppose you could let us all know how you get on with the 5G Ipod could you ? ie what the sound quality is like (especially compared to your brothers 4G), if the scratches are a big problem and what the batteries are like ?

Plus any other stuff you feel is relevant - as i'm considering getting one myself. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

4. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Any other owners thoughts on the new 5G Ipod also gratefully received too with regard to sound quality :thumbsup:

5. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    whats a 5g iPOD? :S sorry I am not being ignorant I really dont know :-(

6. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hey, well I'm not an audiophile, but I do appreciate good SQ, and I can say that my new iPod is definitely comparable to my Sony HD1. I have just tried both of them in my car, using the HD1 in lineout mode, and the iPod in headphone mode with the volume on max (I haven't got a lineout connector for the pod yet), and I have to say I couldn't hear any difference. I am really impressed actually. With regard to the battery, I charged it up to full before I first used it properly, and last night let it drain down whilst I watched TV in another room (Lost, and the next episode on e4 (so 2 hours)). I left it playing videos (For the Birds, various videocasts etc - the quality of that screen is amazing, and with no dead pixels) as I wanted to run the battery down as fast as possible, and it went on after the 2 hours were up. It was well over a further 10mins, probably more because I lost track of timing after this. So, to clarify, playing a videos until the battery ran out it was around 2 hours (on its first full charge!). This is also very impressive! I am in the process of running it down playing MP3s at 192, although I have been fiddling with it a lot.

Scratches, so far not a problem. It came with a protector already on the face, which I peeled back (exposing the clickwheel), and cut off just below the screen, so essentially it left me with a perfectly fitted screen protector. The plastic of the face is clear (unlike the 4g iPod), and has so far not scratched at all. Obviously the back is a fingerprint magnet, but that too is scratch-free (so far). I have been using it in the little pouch that came with it, as it is very soft and snug-fitting. Clearly it won't protect against impact, but its a nice way to carry the pod around. Oh, and you can operate the clickwheel through it (although you can't see the screen-fine for skipping/pausing songs though).

As a side note, I really love the playlisting/iTunes updating feature of the iPod, it is such a vast leap from Sony's HD1. The ease of use is great, and so far I love it! I would strongly recommend it to you Media_Man :) Hope that helps.

7. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hey,its the new video-enabled iPod, see the apple webpage for pictures/info :)

8. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    How did you manage to get three hours of vid outta it?, it's only rated for 2hr!. What video content do you have on it?.

Here's a anime cartoon if your interested:-

http://www.centralparkmedia.com/ipod/

9. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    sorry i meant 2 hours, i just noticed I put that. To clarify-it ran for well over 2 hours not 3! :oops:

10. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
  11. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    how much is one of them vid iPODS? is it as portable as a Nano? I go jogging and go to the gym which one is better?

12. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Nano would be much more practical for the gym, it has flash memory so no moving parts (hard drives don't really enjoy movement), plus it's also 42g so I would be surprised if you even noticed it was there. I wouldn't dare use a 5G iPod in the gym I would be too scared I would drop it and crack the screen as I would have bought the more epensive 60GB one for the improved battery life.

13. szsiddiq1214

szsiddiq1214

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but, the 5g ipod is much smaller than the last, and significantly lighter...prolly the softer less dense plastic casing. over, im very happy with mine. i got a black 30gb one...almost changed it to a 60gb one, but realized id probably spend alot on accesories, cases, etc, so i shud save the money for that.
    i wanted an audio player, not a video player, but considering the number of TV shows i have on my laptop and the limited amount of space i have, it doubles as an external harddrive that lets me clear up space on my laptop aswell as making it so i dont have to lug my laptop over to the TV everytime i wanna watch something with other people on a prper TV. one nusance tho, is that theyve made the video output work with standard RCA to headphone jack cables, but only if its a 3line RCA cable - for my laptop i was always able to use the same 2line cable i used to hook my laptop to my stereo. but i cant with this iPod, because, as ive read else where, they've switched the video and right audio cables around, so that when i output to the TV, my 2pronged RCA cable only works for left and right audio! i was very grr with i realized this. most people will probably by the $20 apple cable to output to the TV because they just wont realize u can flip the yellow and red wires and have it work. wow, tht was a mouth full.
    for me, i was thinking about getting a dock, aswell as a power adapter, remote and all, so ive decided that the DLO HomeDock is the best thing for me, and will save some money over buying all the things from apple seperatly. plus, ive ordered some black JBL creature speakers, and ironically i found a pic of the homedock with those speakers on the DLO site :). as soon as the price drops on those, ill pic one up...the kensington dock that came out 6months or so ago, have almost dropped 50% in price! so ill wait it out a bit.
    back to the ipod! the sound quality is much improved, especially in terms of clearilty. stil no gapless tho, for all those looking for it.
    for videos, i used Xilisoft to convert all my .avi to .mov which trimed my 178mb files to around 150mb with out any major defect - tho most of the shows were downloaded after being recorded via TV by someone on the net, so it wasnt all that great to begin with. the major thing tho, wsa that i didnt have to lower the resolution to play them, they play on their original resolution, so i wont lose that at all. the screen quality is amazing, very sharp and not any fluctuation in the viewing angles. its basically a smaler psp screen.

14. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Dan - very helpful. :thumbsup:

Now if only Apple would stop bringing a new model when i'm just about ready to buy one... :rolleyes:

15. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    No worries :) gimme a shout if you want any more info!