just got my 3d tv / Q's RE 1.4hdmi lead & AV AMP

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by grantsmith, Nov 28, 2010.

1. grantsmith

grantsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Last night i picked up my new 3D tv. Was currys deal £898 for samsung PS50C680, 2 sets of glasses and 3d bluray player, and the shrek boxset.

How couple of questions.. i was of the understanding before purchasing that i need to upgrade my HDMI leads to 1.4 leads (i assume the onles i have are 1.3)
    also all my devises (ps3, skyHD etc) go via my a/v amp (onkyo TX-SR 606) i also spoke to a local dealer (richer sounds) who confirmed that the 3d will not work through the amp as the amp doesnt support 1.4hdmi.

so i though my work around would be hdmi lead direct into tv from skybox. then fibre optic lead into the a/v amp..

however on setting up last night i didnt think it would work but using my 1.3hdmi direct from skybox to tv the 3d worked fine.. (without 1.4 hdmi lead) i then though "ill try it through the amp" put my skybox into my amp and the 3d (sky 3d channel) was working a dream...

so my question is am i missing something?? am i out getting the full quality? or am i lucky that my leads and amp are producing a 3d picture??

Thanks

2. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I found the same with my 1.3 receiver - Sky 3D is a much more basic implementation and has no problem with 1.3 receivers - however you will not have the same situation with 3D Blu-Ray from a PS3 or dedicated player and these will def not pass through a 1.3 receiver. 3D games seem to be ok though like Sky.

3. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    I think the only thing you need hdmi 1.4 cables for is for ethernet ie if you have a hdmi 1.4 player to a hdmi 1.4 tv and you put the internet into the player then the tv can use the internet through the hdmi cable. If you arn't doing that then 1.3 cables should be fine.

some hdmi 1.3 amps can handle 3d with no problems you might be best asking on the amp forums about that. Also as the previous poster says sky 3d is more likely to work than blu-ray 3d.

4. grantsmith

grantsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah you right just tried the 3d blueray player through the amp... no joy. tried hdmi direct into the tv worked ok...

watched a few 3d programmes on sky.. pretty impressive. only downside i gues is its like watching tv with you shades on in the summer.. as you have the tint from the 3d glasses.

the other question is when watching sky 3d and putting the tv guide bar on (along the bottom of the scren) to see what your watching... is this all blurey etc for everyone else or just me?
    thanks

5. toddy28

toddy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Your 606 won't pass through the 3d for your DVD player or your ps3 in 3d mode

I have tried on mine
    I did the same work round as you

Sky menu looks fine on my tv I have the new small amstrad 500gb box

6. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    You dont need HDMI 1.4 cables (no such thing anyway) your amp will pass 3D games and Sky 3D fine just not Full HD 3D Blu Ray.

7. grantsmith

grantsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought that new hdmi leads could handle more/faster data for those who put their ethernet into 3d pluray players then connect to the tv ?? maybe im wrong??

i wish someone can help me with the sky 3d menu (ch 217). quite annoying!!

8. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +789
    Is it the fact the menu goes all funny and blured? Thats a sky problem not the TV, Sky need to implement a 3D ready version of the EPG for it to be viewed correctly while on 3D.

Yes you do need newer HDMI cables to use ethernet but its not called HDMI 1.4 cables. The versioning on HDMI refers to the hardware not the cables, if you want to pass ethernet to the TV you need HDMI Highspeed with Ethernet cables.