1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got my 26GA4E and...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mark88, Dec 7, 2004.

1. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Finally unpacked my 26GA4E, haven't had time to mess with most of the stuff, or even connect it to Sky. Hooked it up to my Pioneer 545 DVD player running T2: Ultimate Edition via RGB scart into input 1...

I'd read a few others peoples initial dissapointments and I can only say, damm, they're right. The picture is terrible, it makes my 24" Sony WEGA CRT look like a TV from 20 years in the future.

Artefacts are everywhere. I'll get my digi cam out later if it's still showing the same. I looked for a setting to see if it really was running RGB and it seems to be. But this is really poor, I also tried Shrek R1 and that too looks pretty bad. There's just no crispness to anything on the screen.

Gonna try having a play later tonight. I did buy this TV for use my with HTPC via DVI and not actually RGB but still, I expected ALOT better first impressions.

I can hear the fan too...!

2. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    you may need a better scart lead ,maybe the colour settings e.t.c are on the high side try to post some pics

3. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 32GA3E and I get an awesome picture though DVI & scart. I've never been able to hear the fan inside, even when I'm working right next to them.

Have you played around with the TV settings? Once I set mine up, it looked great.

Heres's some pics of Shrek running on mine (DVI): Pic 1 Pic 2

4. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    one thing I notice through the scart is I can see colour shifts in the black bars at the top and bottom of the picture.

Also, when the credits roll on Shrek, the white texts causing grey/blue on the black at the sides.

5. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Looks, colours look great. I'm gonna connect mine up via DVI when parcel force turn up with my Motherboard.

Does the TV lock all the colour settings when you're connected via DVI? or not? and what do you use to adjust your colour settings.

6. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can still adjust the settings when connected via DVI. I just played around with things like brightness, contrast, colour, etc until the picture looked right.

7. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried SCART (hatefull design) but I do run component video in from my DVD changer and - well - to be honest the pictures I'm getting on my 32GA4E I'm pretty happy with (and I'm fairly anal about that kind of thing).

Phil

8. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    OK, I've had a little more time to play. Still not 100% happy, the problem seems to be that with the RGB scart input whenever the brightness is set to anything more than "3" this starts to happen on black areas, credits, top/bottom bars etc...

[​IMG]

it's really annoying trying to watch something when you can see movement in the black areas above and below the picture. Out of all the preset modes "GAME" is the only one I would use with the RGB scart, as it sets the brightness to "-3".

Funnily enough, with a composite connection there were no problems with the black ghosting at all, I could ramp up the brightness quite a bit without any problems. Here's the same image with the same presets(STANDARD) via composite:

[​IMG]

I've also noticed lots of interlacing artefacts when you pause. Pictures are ****ty, I havent quite learnt how to set up my digi cam.

[​IMG]

Another bad thing, inserting and removing the scart leads isn't easy, you have to push them in at an angle which isnt ideal as I always fear the pins are bending. I tried two different RGB scart leads, both were the same.

9. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mark88,
    That is terrible, I have no problems like that with my 37"GA4. I am using a decent Scart, but have a look on the "show us your LCD" thread my pic and some others of Sharp LCD's.

10. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've emailed Sharp with a link to the pics. I hope they can help, or at least respond. Can anyone confirm these issues DO NOT exsist for them through the Scart Input #1 with RGB? It becomes alot more obvious the higher the brightness is. I start to see them when the brightness is set to anything above "+3". Go to the credits at the end of a movie and pause when there's text on the screen. But saying that, this happens for me on basically any screen with black, the FBI warning, company logos, everything.

BTW, the pic showing the interlacing & ghosting is the bonus performance by the 5678's on the Kill Bill R2 DVD.

11. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    correction: I can hear the "fans" as there seems to be two of them. :thumbsdow

12. jrenshaw

jrenshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my 26GA4E for a few days now, I can hear the fan on mine too, which is a bit irritating. As for the picture quality I have it on the defaults and it seems ok to me, but I am no expert on that to be honest.

13. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would suggest obtaining a copy of DVE or similar and spend a couple of hours calibrating with that disc. For starters, a DVD with THX setup will do. Out of the box, on LCD's I have noticed brightness and contrast far too bright, these need to be tamed otherwise you will get banding etc. As for your 'interlacing artifacts', what shutter speed were you using on the camera that took the photo? Are they that noticable visually or only when viewing through a camera?

14. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Further to my comment above, what source are you having the interlacing option with. From your pictures, its hard to make out, but the first image looks to be at 60Hz - it looks too rounded to be a 5. If so, you need to make sure that whatever is doing the deinterlacing, DVD or display, is using the correct mode, normally referred to as movie mode and film mode. Not sure if the Sharp supports both of these. If it is a NTSC disc, it is possible that your 3:2 pulldown is going wrong and it may be possible to sort this by manually setting movie mode - assuming it is a film.

-Ian

15. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I dunno what settings I used on the camera but the interlacing was VERY visible on a paused image, this was a R2 DVD "Kill Bill"! FYI the shot was taken sat in the same position as the other two pics, it just looks larger because of the way I cropped it in photoshop.

The top image actually says 50Hz and not 60

thanks

16. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Same thing is happening with my Xbox via official advanced scart (RGB).... really ****** off with this :-/

17. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have you set the "I" option in advanced to progressive??

18. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    yep, the interlacing isn't visibile usually. It might just have even been that part of that DVD.