Just got meself a Toppy...at last

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by per-Sony-fied, Jan 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    It's arrived... on me birthday too (that be yesterday!) :D

I know these Q's have been answered here before but rather than me searching thought I'd bundle all I wanna know into my little thread :D

It looks like I have the new tuner version (phew!). Can someone certify this from this info:

Loader v: C5.14
    Device v:v5.3.35
    Software v: TF-NPT 5.13.26

Last update: Sep 2006

I'm also looking to load it with Taps to improve the EPG. Is Mystuff V5.0 the the tap to go for or are earlier Taps preferable in certain circumstances? I'd like it to default to multi-channel view rather than single channel like it does as standard. If this could be done with channel overlay so-so much the better.

I see that the EPG can be customised with background colours can this be done from the PVR? Is glossy colours possible as I see that matt colours are used in general :thumbsdow

I also see that Skinbuilder software is available for download to "design" your own EPG looks.Is it easy to create your own? What does it offer in terms of flexibility creation?

If there's anything else you think I should need as a must have feature then fire away. I'm sure to think of something else in a few days.

2. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    Hey mate,

Congratulations on getting a toppy, they're awesome!

As for new tuner I'm not sure, haven't kept up to date with that side of things.

Definitely get mystuff 5.0, makes the the toppy so much better. Upon loading it on (create an autostart folder and put the tap in there, along with the other Taps it comes with and the logo files) press guide then menu, this will take you to the menu system of mystuff, and you will soon realise how much everything you can customise.

Skin builder i have not used, I've just used skins of this website (save them via right click, then put them on the toppy in the skins folder, which will have appeared after putting mystuff on) http://bobdsmystuff.co.uk/cgi/SkinLibrary.cgi

As for taps, I personally have a few others too, Tap Commander is a good one, as you can turn taps on and off on the fly, plus see what is running.

Another one to try is Mei Search, this enables you to search the epg for genre (you can just search via film, and so all the films for the next 7 days appear and then you just hit record on the ones you want) plus you can search via title i.e "eastenders" (be warned very sensitive, dragons den/dragon's den).

I also got TF5000 Display tap as it changes what the front LCD shows and what LEDs flash. You can change it so when you play stuff, it can show time remaining, time elapsed etc.

What I'd do mate is have a play about with it. See what annoys and then find the Tap that solves that problem as there's usually one out there for it.

I can't recommend this toppy site out enough:

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/index.php

Such a helpful bunch of people on there. You'll soon be one of them after awhile. Taps and stuff at first do seem daunting, but like mosts things, it's easy once you know how.

Hope I've been of some use, give us a shout if you have any more questions.

Craig

3. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    Forgot to say happy birthday for yesterday! Great birthday present.

4. IanSimmons

IanSimmons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just to add to Craig's notes - the skin library for MyStuff you can see shows the previous version (4.5). Version 5 looks even better, with channel logos, etc. The MS team have conveniently packaged up the essential accompaniment to MyStuff, which is eit2mei. This TAP harvests the EPG data for MS.

To see the new MyStuff screens, check out http://www.bobdsmystuff.co.uk/50.shtml.

And definitely check out the manual, included in the download - it's quite a comprehensive program, with a lot of options. Have a look at it first perhaps before you opt to install it.

5. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Yes, if you have loader version 5.14 then your Toppy has the newer tuners fitted.

Personally, I prefer EPG Navigator, which works really well with UK AutoScheduler to manager automatic timers - the latest version of UKAS can automatically exclude repeats, based on programme descriptions.

You'll find all you want to know - and lots more, including a bizarre discussion on cleaning meat fat from the inside of a Toppy with cotton wool buds - at the usual place ;)

Nigel.

6. PhillH

PhillH
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    SkinBuilder is easy to use. The skins available at the MyStuff site are too saturated for my taste (i.e. the colours are too intense), so I took a skin that I liked, toned down all the colours to pleasingly subdued pastel shades, saved it as a new file in the skins folder on the Toppy, and selected the new skin from the MyStuff menu. Pretty straightforward.

[edit] Re flexibility of skins, SkinBuilder only allows you to change the colour of UI elements. I don't think there's any way to change size/shape/layout of the elements, other than those available from the MyStuff menu such as how many channels per page to display in the EPG grid.

7. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Brill :D I drive tested the previous version of tuners in the Topfield and was a tad upset that they wern't as sensitive as my Sony :( Hopefully these will prove to be a match and the pic looks as good :thumbsup:

Thanks Nige I'll be paying another more comprehensive visit soon.

Not planning to use mine in the kitchen :laugh:

8. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Welcome to the Toppy owners club. Apart from not leaving packets of lamb chops on your Toppy; :D one wee tip (which you have probably worked out but anyway);

When experimenting with different TAPs and if your computer is not near the Toppy avoid lots of comings and goings by putting all the TAPS you are considering in Program Files at one go. They will just sit there doing nothing. You can then run them manually from archive or move them one TAP or suite of TAPS at a time into Auto Start and reboot.

Happy Birthday for yesterday. :)

Richard

9. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I was playing around with the remote buttons yesterday getting a feel for the standard configuration and how it functioned (can't say I like the remote much) when I started channel hoping. I pressed the zero button hoping I could enter leading zero's ala Sony (enables quicker channel changing) for say BBC1, channel 001 and noticed by pressing zero first it initiated aspect ratio changing of the TV. Is this normal or a conflict?

EDIT: Probabaly a daft question (doesn't look possible) but I don't suppose it's possible to bluetooth the Toppy via USB for transfering files? Would save a lot of hassle.

10. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Zero toggles through screen formats unless it follows another digit press.

11. IanSimmons

IanSimmons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes, yes - very sound advice. If you want to alter the EPG and/or functionality - and many choose not to - you may want to experiment with different TAPs before settling on one or more.

Also remember (in case you hadn't picked this up yet) that if you do have TAPs in Autostart and you want to boot up vanilla (e.g. if a TAP is causing problems) press 0 continuously after startup.

I agree the remote is not very prepossessing. I find it a little crowded and it's the main thing that stops the wife from using it much. When I ask her to stop the playback, she asks which button, and I say, 'the universal sign for Stop' and when I explain, she just asks why it says 'Live' underneath it. She's more used to the coloured keys, which I've mapped to advert-skipping keys - 2 min forward (red) 1 min (green) 30 sec (yellow) and 20 seconds back (blue). If I'm out of the room, she'd rather press 'blue' constantly till I'm back than Pause or Stop..! :rolleyes: Having said that, she loves it too.

All in all, though, it's a wonderful piece of kit, great pictures, and so versatile.

12. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Just installed Mystuff 5.0 had a play around with the EPG and noticed the following that are annoying :(

1. When viewing the EPG there are green vertical stripes on either side of the EPG. I.E left and right of the available channel listings. Should they be there and if so why?

2. Toggling through the options of the EPG from 7 day information to Now/next/next+1 I've noticed there does not seem to be a back button to allow you to toggle between 7 day and now and next. I would have thought a back button would have been deriger.

3. The standard default EPG is still visible if the Guide button is pressed enough times..... pointless, can this be removed?

4. When pressing the Info button the quality and signal strength indicators have dissapeared, to me this was a handy piece of information that was easy to access.

13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,533
    Oh dear sounds like you are one of the few that doesn't like Mystuff :)

Don't know what you mean, so I guess they shouldn't be there...But then again I use my own colour scheme that I copied from my previous Sky+ box....Try the Skinbuilder to change colours that you don't like, or just download another skin...That's the power of this application...

You get easily annoyed :D

You'll find that this is actually the beauty of the TAP system....And every tap I know of works in this way...Remember you only have so many buttons...For example the MEISearch which is a very useful TAP uses by default the Menu button...Normally you don't have to go in the default menu, but sometimes you need to...So just press the Menu button a second time once the TAP is loaded and there you have it.....Maybe you need to get used to the system which is very much like Sky (which is good in my opinion) in order to back out of a menu option you press back-up (called exit on my remote). Perhaps not how your Sony used to work, but great when you come from a Sky+ system....

Agreed, but lets be real it is hardly information you need all the time....Stop playing around and start watching some telly :D Alternatively you can use another tap (although I am not certain whether it works in conjunction with MyStuff) which does provide that information and a lot more, but it is the only commercial tap that I am aware off....I live in an unsupported area and don't feel like I need to see quality and signal strength all the time...If the picture is breaking up I know enough.....

But maybe MyStuff is not for you....As Nigel stated there are other taps, and I know of lot of people who just run theirs vanilla....

14. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,533
  15. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi; for some of these problems at least annoyance can be avoided by a look at the Menu or even the Manual. :D One of the advantages of MyStuff is that it has many options so as to accomodate different preferences. You cannot really expect that by default everything will happen to be set to your preferences.

in particular
    You need to use the Now & Next Chain change menu (Menu C*) and EPG (Guide) Chain menu (Menu E*). From these you can ascribe a whole range of sequential different views (or nothing; off) to the first four presses of info and guide button. You can easily eliminate the Toppy EPG. There is even a reloop option that will take you back to whatever you have on first press so acting as an automatic back button.

Never seen anything like this; try a differnt skin; have a look at menu item M*7 perhaps.

Hope that sorts some of your annoyances anyway. :)

* I am running a slightly different version to you but I think those menu items are still the same. Richard.

16. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Seems I got the wrong impression about taps I thought they substituted the default operating system..as in overide.

I did have a comprehensive read of the Mystuff manual before I installed and noticed a few buttons that reserved for Mystuff operation but I guess I forgot to look back :rolleyes:

Well it is the default Mystuff 5.0 skin. Green dashed vertical lines.... one dash for each channel at the beginning (after the channel name) and end of the onscreen display. I will try another skin.

17. trini

trini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi peeps,
    Is it pot luck if I buy a Toppy with this tuner:

Loader v: C5.14
    Device v:v5.3.35
    Software v: TF-NPT 5.13.26

or can anybody say what outfit will sell it with this version, as I would like to buy over the internet from John Lewis, as they are quite near if it all goes pear shape. Thanks for any replies. trini.

18. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I got my Topfield TF5800PVR Black Panther Edition 250GB from http://www.turbosat.com/ last week and it has the loader version 5.14.

If you ask for loader version 5.14, I'm sure Turbosat would ensure that you get it. I don't know if John Lewis can/would check before sending.

19. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Unless somewhere is hanging on to old stock, you're very unlikely to get something with the old loader version.

But I'll say this again - in almost every case, there is NO DIFFERENCE in performance between models with the old tuners and the new ones; those in marginal reception areas may see a difference, but for most users there isn't one, and there is no need to specify which you want when you order - which in any event, most suppliers won't be in a postion to do without opening up a box and connecting it.

Nigel.

20. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Got mine from Firebox.com, since they are always replenishing stock on a very regular basis you'll for certain get the latest Toppy. These tuners are an improvement on the old C1.01 version models in regards sensitivity (I've compared the old and new against my Sony). I'm not to sure yet if the new model performs as well against the Sony (do need a bad day, weather wise) but certainly better.

As Nigel says if your Freeview reception area is good (no need for a booster) for all channels (mine is not) then the old model would suffice no problem.

21. shaun127

shaun127

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    HI guys, just read about these new tuners, didnt realise the was a problem I have old tuner C1.01 toppy never had a problem (what is the problem anyway?) I have it attached to my sony 28" CRT, far better pic than the sony IMO.

Thing is I use the toppy alot and Im looking at getting a Pioneer 427XD. Im I going to get problems with the toppy and new TV?

Many thanks guys

22. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    The only advantage of the new Toppy (as Nigel has explained) is slightly better reception in maginal situations. If you are getting good reception with your present TV changing TV will make no difference.

Richard

Edit; You may of course see differences between what you get on your present TV and your new plasma but if your reception is OK these will not be affected by having or not having a new version Toppy.

23. shaun127

shaun127

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Oh I see I thought theyd found a fault or something, no probs with reception I live within a mile of the transmitters, excelent pic

many thanks m8

24. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    The original tuner modules - which are made by a different company, though I can't remember which - were no longer available, so new ones had to be used; they're from the same company, but they need updated drivers. And being newer, one of the improvements is slightly better sensitivity.

But that's it - there's nothing wrong with the old ones.

Nigel.

25. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,533
    i would fully agree with that. i live in an unsupported area. very much on the furthest fringe for the cp tx. but have no trouble with the old tuners.