1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got ipod.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Godzooky, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Godzooky

Godzooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help guys. Just got 15gig ipod from local pc world and it is cool as you like.

I'm looking to hook it up to my receiver, Denon 1801. Any idea how I would go about this?

2. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  3. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Godzooky,

Looking at buying an iPod for my iMac - are they worth the pennies? and are they user friendly?

4. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I use one of the 'old' 10GB iPods with my Mac and it's really cool. The way it works with iTunes is very cool. They are more than user firendly, it just simply works!

5. Mr 928

Mr 928

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want one even more now.....:mad:

6. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Two ways to do this:

1. Mine came bundled with Dr Botts connection pack which consisted of various wires etc. You basically need a wire which goes from the headphone socket out of the ipod into 2 phono leads which then plug into something like the aux port of your receiver.

2. The other cool device I just got recently is the iTrip (check out iPod Lounge for a review). It isn't available in this country but I'm pretty sure you could import it from the states. It is basically a wireless RF device that plugs into the iPod to allow you to listen to your device within 50 ft (or metres). You load the iTrip software onto your iPod, choose a radio frequency that you want and then tune your receiver into that frequency.

I was really sceptical at first but it only cost me £25 quid so I thought I'd give it a go. It is meant for use with car radios but I guess using it with a receiver is equally cool - in fact thats how I tested it. Not sure how the sound compares to the headphone wire method but it is the convenience thing for me. The other plus point is that the iPod then acts as the remote control because it is wirelessly connected - the headphone wire means that you have to change songs while still connected.

One last thing I just remembered, mine is the old design and the iTrip only works on the older design models. The headphone cord should work fine.

Happy iPodding (if that is a verb)

simon

7. Godzooky

Godzooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replys. I've been in Manchester watching the move festival all weekend and took the ipod with me for the journey, etc. It is amazing and definitely worth the money. Just sat at my PC now sending all my cds to the ipod and it is very straightforward.

Definitely recommneded.:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

8. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might have to get one of these. Do they only sync up with Music MatchJ box? I use Media Jukebox.

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Does the ipod just handle mp3 ? I ask because all my music is stored as wma and it would mean ripping 200 CDs again.

10. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    JohnG

The Ipod only handles mp3. However you'll find that the musicmatch software that comes bundled with the Ipod can convert wma to mp3.

Del:smoke:

11. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Cheers Del that is good news.

12. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    except you'd be mad to convert wma -> mp3 imo... 2 lossy codec conversions is almost guaranteed to remove any of the fidelity of the original version.

I know it's a pain to re-rip cds especially if you do it properly with EAC + Lame (which on my comp takes about 20min/cd... stupid crappy system) but it will be worth it in the end knowing you have the best quality mp3s possible.

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    mmmmm I think it would be a bit silly to convert the WMA files on 2nd thoughts ! I think with something as good as the ipod I need to redo the lot.
    Is the ipod a lot better than the offering from Creative ? I don't normally like Creative products but there's does handle WMA files.