Just got in from work......

ukdan

and found the fan in my HD box was running full blast:confused:
The box was in standby, its cold in the room and
the box is on the top shelf in open air.
Had to pull the plug out to reset and its fine now.
Any ideas what could have caused this?

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
This happens all the time with my box.

Sounds like someone is vacuuming the room, but it is the HD box in standby.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
It seems some boxes have this "side effect" when Anytime is enabled, or at least those that have then turned Anytime off haven't reported the problem again:)

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
It seems some boxes have this "side effect" when Anytime is enabled, or at least those that have then turned Anytime off haven't reported the problem again:)

It seems from the collective forum experience that Anytime being enabled prevents the box ever going into standby properly. And after all those hours of being on they must get pretty warm. I also doubt that the cooling system is really up to the job based on the performance of the boxes as a whole.

Ragnarok

I wonder just how often people check the hard disk fan under the box to check thats not become clogged up with dust. I bet if it does things get a bit toasty in their.

Bobba

My theory is that the box basically crashes like a computer with some process on it using all of it's processing power which in turn raises the heat and activates the fans.

It happens 2-3 times a year for me particularly if the box is low or out of disk space.

Mike Groves

It seems from the collective forum experience that Anytime being enabled prevents the box ever going into standby properly. And after all those hours of being on they must get pretty warm. I also doubt that the cooling system is really up to the job based on the performance of the boxes as a whole.

Sorry matt, but my Anytime was disabled a few months after it started & I get the "high speed fan" maybe every 3 or 4 months. Doesn't unduly concern me as a restart has always worked.

tutu

My old box used to do this all the time. Really irritating! Anytime was turned off btw.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom