1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just got fifa on the psp :)

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by SILVERBACK, May 6, 2005.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    let me start off by saying that in know way am i a huge fan of the fifa cash machine :nono: and the only real football game is pro evo but when fifa 2005 was released i was forced to have a little go on it,to my surprise i found it quite enjoyable and what made it a little more enjoyable was the fact the last incarnation of pro evo was very poor (out of date stats,players retired from internationals in the squad etc etc) imho.

anyway i was tempted by WLS to see me through the hard times as fifa got pushed further and further back on its release dates but it arrived yesterday and i have been playing it to death on my night shift.firstly lets start with the bad :( basically EA have tried to squash everything from the ps2 into a handheld and the loading times can be long`ish compared to that of ridge racer (only other game i have so cant really compare) and there is some lag inbetween button presses on the menu and this leads me to my biggest grumble about the game.

time after time the game will freeze for a a fraction of a second but its enough to notice it and some people maybe put off by it,imho its not a big enough issue for me generally as it usually happens after i have shot and the ball has left my boot.i can honestly say after playing this game for maybe 6 hours play time it has never paused while i have moved or been about to pass etc.

another downside is the fact that using analogue to control your player means you need to use the d pad to pull off your first touch and special tricks and this is no easy feat let me tell you.you need to plan your special move earlier as the positioning of the pads isnt great for this.what i did find easier to do is instead of using the dpad during play i used it to get the drop from the likes of throwings and corners etc as like i have said the analogue/dpad control system isnt the best.

why the hell they didnt do away with there usuall music intro`s and continuous tracks through the menu`s i dont know (surely this would have saved some of the loading problems) but thats EA for you.now for the plus points.

graphically this game is really nice,if like me you use the longest possible camera angle and have no zoom the game doesnt look much to brag about but the replays,highlights and graphic user interface all look lovely.there is the normal season mode,you can start a season halfway through with the current placings of your team,head to head and challenge mode.

if you simply want a quick game i would choose challenge mode as it takes you straight to the action and is a decent enough feature for the handheld.but for rather serious donsides (tricky pulling off special moves and the occassional slowdown) i have to say im enjoying it :) and it will certainly fill the hole untill pro evo comes along,hopefully.

so marks out of 10 for me would be about 6.8,for fifa lovers it would probably be a 7.5but as a pro evo man i have been spoiled with great control and realistic play.some people wont like the slowdown/freezing and the control system but it doesnt really bother me that much that i wouldnt wanna play the game for a season.infact i better put the PSP on charge as it will be a busy night for it tonight :devil:

2. Ryderage

Ryderage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for taking time out to write an honest review SILVERBACK :D and just as I was considering buying Fifa for my PSP.

You've highlighted some interesting points, enough to make me want to stick to playing Fifa on my xBox only for the moment :)

Rikki

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I got this yesterday finally. I must admit the game does has its flaws buts its still easily the best footy game ever available on a handheld.

I was playing it for hours last night ! There is slight slow down occassionaly, particularly for set pieces and when the ball goes out of play but never more than a second so it dosnt effect gameplay.

I give it 8 out of 10, the graphics are great and unlike Pro Evo you can actually score even on the handheld version !

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Why can't you score in pro evo? Admitidly it's pretty realistic so that you can't just fire a shot in from anywhere and expect it to fly in to the net most times, but if you put some half decent moves together then you should be able to score.

Put it this way, if people couldn't score in Pro Evo then I doubt that it would have aquired the following and praise that it has.

Personally I can't stand FIFA so will wait for PES to arrive on the PSP, i'm in no big rush though as I have a few great games that I still need to get around to playing.

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well I cant put this down, its easily my Favorite game on the PSP currently.
    I just dont find Pro Evo enjoyable to be honest, you can score but far too many 0 - 0 games. Its the short of game that you have to grind results out of.

I know people that spend alot of time on it and enjoy it, I guess its a game you have to put loads of effort and time into to become good at.

Anyway Pro Evo is not available on the PSP and its not on any of the release schedules so its not comming out this year anyway. Fifa PSP is then best Footy game you can get on any handheld curretly even with its flaws.

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Yes it's each to their own I guess but I can't remember when I last had a 0-0 game on PES - I played a mate last week and the scores were 2-1, 5-2, 6-3, 4-1 and 2-1 after Extra time.

Like you say it does require a bit of time to learn how to play it as it's a more complex game than FIFA. I understand your point about PES not yet being available on the PSP but until it is i'm happy with the X-Box & PS2 versions.

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well you are clearly much better than I am as your Avatar suggests !

Just looking round the net most decent sites seem to have given it 7 out of 10, but user reviews are more towards 8 + Which is what I gave it. Its as good as you can get in terms of handheld footy so until something better comes along I am happy with it !

I am struggling to find killer titles for the PSP at moment, I might try and trade my Twisted Metal for Wipeout Pure, thats meant to be pretty good.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    To be honest my PSP doesn't get that much at the moment as I mainly got one for Holidays and trips. I play the odd game of wipeout & Ridge racer, ape escape & darkstalkers on it and for the moment they do me.

You are right though, there doesn't seem to be that many decent titles on it yet.