1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got back from Istanbul...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tejstar, May 27, 2005.

1. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I have just returned from Istanbul, after watching one of the Greatest Cup Finals ever. As a few of you know I was very lucky that Sony (who sponsor the Champions League through their ‘Playstation 2’ brand) invited me to the final. So before I start I’d like to say a big thanks to the guys at Sony who provided me tickets (great seats on the half-way line, on the first tier opposite the managers dug-out), flights (BA Business Class) and rooms in one of the nicest hotels I’ve stayed in for a while, the Hyatt Regency (which apparently was even nicer than the hotel that the Liverpool squad stayed in!) :thumbsup:

I just thought I’d post a few of my thoughts on the game as I’m sure you’ve all read the news reports and bought all the papers. We landed an hour and a half late so instead of going to the hotel first we had to go straight to the stadium, especially since we found out that it was taking 3 hours to get to the stadium from the city centre! :suicide:

I think the final was a massive deal for the Turkish people, on the way to the stadium there were people from the shanty towns lining the motorway just watching as a procession of coaches cars and taxis carried fans to the game. The stadium itself is quite eerie, it is situated on a hill-top and was therefore quite windy. There was no stalls around the stadium and the atmosphere outside was quite benign, :boring: luckily we had hospitality so inside the tent there was plenty going on (belly dancing, take a picture with the European Cup etc etc.) :D

Onto the match itself, I sat there with disbelief when Milan scored their third goal. I was in half a mind to go back to the pavilion and just drink. :( However, after coming all this way I had to come back to watch ‘just in case’! I’m so glad I did, that 6 minute spell where Liverpool scored their three goals has to be one of the most electrifying experiences of my life. :eek: We all went berserk (I’ve got the bruises to prove it) and seriously believed they could go all the way!

I’ve never been to a live match which has gone to extra time before and felt absolutely exhausted after 90 minutes had passed. It’s the first time I actually realised how tough it is for the players out there during extra time. However, thanks to Dudek’s fine double save from Shevchenko we went to penalties. And it was during penalties that I also realised for the first time how the fans being the 12th man really does work. The stadium was 75% filled with Liverpool supporters and the noise created was absolutely immense. :cool:

When Milan came up to take the first penalty we booed as hard as we could. It seemed to work, the fans ‘will’ made Milan miss. Once Milan stepped up for their second we did the same and this time it got saved (it felt as we if we had some jedi power stopping Milan dead in their tracks!) Although in reality we knew it was Dudek’s monkey dance doing all the work! Obviously we were disappointed that Milan scored the next one, so when Shevchenko stepped up half of us could barely watch knowing that a miss would bring the European Cup back to England and complete one of the biggest turnarounds in Champions League history. It surely was too good to be true… However, he did miss and we all went crazy! :clap:

I still feel the adrenaline of that night and feel so privileged to have been there. I have no voice left after shouting and singing so loud that night. I’m not a Liverpool fan but I was willing them along as if there were my very own. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life and one that I shall never forget. Viva Benitez! :smashin:

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    What do you do for a job mate? :thumbsup:

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I work for a small investment bank in the city. I do equity research for small to mid-cap UK Leisure/Consumer companies and used to cover the games sector hence how I know that guys at Sony. All these contacts pay off eventually! :)

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I just thought I'd share a few piccies I took with my phone whilst i was there!

Piccy 25 & 30 show me in quite a bleary state, I had that hat on throughout!

Piccy 26 is getting close to Lennart Johannson.

Piccy 27 & 28 show how much better organised the Milan supporters were than the Liverpool ones! ;)

Piccy 29 shows my viewpoint of the match.

Attached Files: