1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a Samsung SP50L7HXX

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by chuffster2005, Jul 1, 2005.

1. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Took the plunge and sold my NEC plasma,which I was none to impressed by and now would really appreciate your expertise on recommended connections and colour settings etc.
    I`m connecting-Pace Sky +.Samsung HD945 dvd player plus the usual Ps2 etc.
    At the moment,all I`e got connected is SKY + through a cheap scart cable using RGB output and the picture looks hideous! :rolleyes: :lease:

2. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi chuffster - I've found the following settings work very well on all sources - and especially well on digital channels:

Mode: Cinema (this is a key setting)
    Colour Tone: Warm1
    Contrast: 80 - 85 (you can go as low as 75 though)
    Brightness: 57
    Sharpness: 57
    Colour: 50
    Digital NR: Off
    DNIe: On
    Film Mode: Off

I have also customised my colours and reduced Green to zero (yes zero! I found the greens super rich and they still look vibrant even at zero).

I pretty much have these exact same settings on every source including HDMI.

I've also invested in a decent Profigold High Definition RGB SCART cable (cost about £35-40) and it was well worth it as I really notice the difference when viewing digital via my S-VHS VCR as it has a normal £12 RGB SCART. I also bought a decent Profigold HDMI cable too for my HD850 DVD player.

Hope the settings helps.

Cheers
    KableMan

3. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Cheers mate!Will have a play and report back!

4. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    These settings work really well for me too. I copied them from Kableman! :thumbsup:

Only thing I change is when HDMI I turn DNie off, especially for movies. Definetly leave it on for sky.

5. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Wow!What a difference!Extra special thanks to both of you!! :clap: :thumbsup: :smashin: :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Are these settings you guys are using for hdmi or component? cause if I use those settings via component 480p and 720p, the hues on silver look brownish for example xbox media centre logo at 720p.

Also whilst watching sin city dvd screener upscaled to 720p low bitrate was more noticeable.. blacks looked grey oh and on green sprites on emulator 480p looked too white.

My settings are... mode..standard colour tone..normal colour..50 contrast..70 brightness..47 sharpness...30
    With sharpness for example I like what it does to make lettering bolder but when the screen is panning right say on super mario advance, you can see a grittyness to the pixel rendering all over the frame, so I found 30 to be optimal, also I noticed some colour crosstalk on red lettering on the sin city logo why is this? I tried dnr on and off made no diff is this the fault of the low bitrate on a single layer dvd? I mean Ive you only ever seen that colour abberation with composite or rf.
    thoughts?...

7. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Via hdmi I have not conected anything via component yet.

8. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hey leeboy - I have these settings setup on every connection RGB, Component and HDMI but whenever I connect up my xbox via component (at 480p/720p/1080i) I switch to Standard Mode and reset everything else to the defaults. This seems to suit the artificial colours of XBOX games whereas. However when I previously used the component connection with my HD850 I had the settings as posted here and didn't have any trouble at all and it looked great.

You must remember however that any settings are very subjective though so you may need to tweak them to suit your own eyes. I'd start by resetting everything to factory settings and then use something like the THX video calibration (like the one on the Star Wars DVDs) to perform fine adjustments to suit you.

Cheers
    KableMan

9. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Would you recommend changing the pink and the blue settings,Kableman?

10. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hey chuffster - i've not had any call to change pink and blue but if they're bothering you give it a try. A few people have had issues with the green - and the green tint sometimes seen via HDMI but I found that adjusting it didn't help until I set it to zero. Have you been into the My Colour Control - there are presets with more or less pink, blue and green to choose from plus custom - it's good having the ability to fine tune but a curse as well as there are loads of combinations.

I'd stick with the defaults until something bothers you in particular and then be brave and make huge changes like setting them to zero :eek: and work backwards to something more acceptable.

Alternatively check your DVD player output as the HD850 had several possible colour settings for HDMI and they had a big impact on the colours and reduced the green tint for me so they may help you with pink and blue. I settled on either RGB Normal or Component 4:2:2 - nothing between them but both greatly reduce the green in noisey pictures. Also I found that upscaling poor quality DVDs made noise and overall colour rendition worse so don't feel you must upscale everything to 720p - it doesn't suit everything.

Good Luck
    Cheers
    KableMan

11. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I`ll continue to play!Cheers again!:)

12. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Does anyone know what film mode is? Is that one of the de-interlacing modes?

Nick

13. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    From the Samsung brochure
    So, probably only works with 30fps NTSC material.

14. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    An interesting result that everyone will want to know about. 3:2 pulldown actually creates artificial frames when the interlaced video on the DVD is de-interlaced to progressive video for display. Yes, 3:2 works with NTSC only, but no, not with 30fps. It is used to generate 60 progressive frames/sec from the original 24 fps film, which is recorded on a DVD as 48 interlaced fields/sec. It does this by showing alternate frames 3 and 2 times repectively to increase the frame rate by two and a half, but at the expense of slightly stuttery motion. (This is not serious, but can be overcome if the de-interlacer and display can repeat each frame three times, giving 72 fps from film or 75 fps from PAL, but that is not usually the case.)

Of course that is irrelevant if it only applies to NTSC, but if it displays PAL films at 60fps, then it will still need 3:2 pulldown. If on the other hand it displays everything at 50Hz, then it will need 2:2 pull-down from film-source DVDs (which most are). If it has 3:2, then it will probably have 2:2 pulldown.

But never mind all that, what it does suggest is that the display has film mode de-interlacing, which is a very good thing if it is applied correctly. DVDs store interlaced video which takes both odd and even frames from the same film frame, so it is relatively easy to add them together and recreate the original progressive frame, but only at 24fps. Do that right and you get sharp, smooth, flicker-free video without fuzzy edges or de-interlacing artifacts; very important for a big, high-resolution sceen.

It would be interesting to clarify what the film mode does, because it can be implemented automatically or manually. The former is preferred, but it can make mistakes, and the second obviously only works with films. Maybe there is a way to find that answer, or else it may be worth experimenting with switching it on and off with either broadcast or DVD films and looking at the effect on motion.

Best regards, Nick

15. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    A couple of other quotes from some Google searches.

1. Samsung's Cinema Smooth Film Mode 3:2 Pull Down correction circuitry addresses digital distortion in 480i (interlaced) video signals generated from 24 frames-per-second film.

2. Film Mode Processing with 3:2 pull down for NTSC and 2:2 pull down for PAL film based material

16. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Good.
    That means PAL films are properly de-interlaced and displayed at 50Hz.
    De-interlacing doubles the frame rate, then everything is speeded-up slightly to 50Hz.
    Bit of a convenient fudge, eh?
    Nick

17. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    So, any idea why KableMan recommends turning film mode OFF?

18. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I don`t think Film Mode works with component or HDMI connections,does it?

19. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I don't - I just haven't turned it on!! :D I tended to tweak by gradulary varying my settings as I figured that the guys at Samsung have far more experience than me and so if they setup the Tv with it turned off and things like DNIe on they did it for a reason. However now that I've read people's posts on the subject I'm going to see what happens when I turn it on while playing DVD's... I have quite a collection of NTSC discs.

Although as chuffster points out it appears to be disabled on the HDMI and Component inputs - but if you turn it on while viewing a SCART input it will remain on when switching to Component and HDMI - or is it just displaying ON/OFF but is ignored when disabled?

Has anyone noticed any discernable difference between Film Mode being on or off? If so please let us know.

Also I must say that my settings were posted to help and because they work for me but please do not take them as scripture - vary them to suit yourselves and if you find improvements please post away :smashin:

Cheers
    KableMan

20. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Yup, all just trying to help.
    My scaler has a switchable film mode which can make a significant difference, and I was curious if the Sammy film mode did the same thing.

Film mode not working on HDMI or component is very curious, though. It is nothing really to do with the type of interface. Is there a VGA input you could connect a PC into - I could understand that not working. I can only imagine that it's disabled on those inputs if there is already progressive video input on them, or it thinks there is. (HDMI and component can both be progressive or interlaced.)

The key point is whether Film Mode means CONSTRAIN to FM de-interlacing, or simply ENABLE automatic film cadence detection and hence processing. It might be difficult to get a definitive answer on that from anybody, but a bit of experimentation may reveal something.

Nick

21. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Nick - I think you are right. I have only really tried progressive feeds via HDMI and Component so that's probably why it's disabled.

Cheers
    KableMan

22. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    One final question guys-what resolution would you suggest I upscale to via my Samsung 945?

23. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    After many (wasted?) hours annoying my wife while I pause LOTR (or some other high quality DVD) and switch between NTSC 480p, PAL 576p, 720p and 1080i - I personally have decided to either stick with the native resolution based on the region of the disc i'm playing or on the rare occasion if the disc can stand it I'll upscale to 720p. I find that most discs don't stand up well to the digital scrutiny of HDMI and especially not upscaling. I no longer use Component for DVDs anymore - I find it too soft compared with HDMI - although in isolation its still excellent and it fairs better when upscaling. I now use it soley for my XBOX, which I have the Hi-Def kit for so I can play games at 480p, 720p and 1080i :cool:

At the end of the day 576p and 720p both look superb on this TV and once the movie starts and you forget about tweaking its all good and more often than not its all sublime :thumbsup:

I've just watched the Praying Mantis documentary in HD and it is nothing short of awe-inspiring - the detail is absolutely incredible and at times unnerving as it truly does look real and 3D like looking at insects up close through a glass case in the reptile or insect house in a zoo! I wish I could capture the image to show you but no photos or even image captures can do it justice. There's not a DVD on the market upscaled or not that can compare to HD - so pick a resolution and don't sweat too much over it as HD is only just round the corner and then everything will get much much better :smashin:

Cheers
    KableMan

24. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hoorah!Glad to see I`m not the only one whose wife just doesn`t understand him! :D

25. chuffster2005

chuffster2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I`ve noticed some jerkiness on dvd panning shots-can i do anything about that?Also,i`m getting concerned again about the dvd quality-seems very"fuzzy"through HDMI :eek:

26. mercmonk

mercmonk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i tried the settings that kableman suggested but doesnt really make a diiference to my samsung 50!!!!!!!! this is so frustrating coz at the moment it looks just like an old rear projection:( when i saw the sagem dlp in comet connected to an hdmi pc connection playing a dvd it blew me away how awesome and sharp it was.mine is no where near that standard even with my samsung hdmi connected dvd player:( its just so average and not sharp.surely this set cant be this bad considering its so called technology!!!!
    i ve changed the dvd players settings but it doesnt look any different in any of the settings

27. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

:hiya: mercmonk

Shame you haven't stuck to the same thead where you originally mentioned the PQ on your Sammy..... bet you like to confuse people ! :D Perhaps you can delete your message here & re-post in the other thread :D

You've mentioned that PQ is 'pants' but have not elaborated :confused:

BTW the Sagem you see in Comet is playing HD material at 1080i apparently (according to a Comet employee) hence the very good picture.