• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

just got a qnap ts-469l and 12tb of storage whats the best raid setting for movie storage

toddy28

Prominent Member
im sure its been asked lots of times before but what settings do you guys use or recommend
I was think 5 or 10 but know nothing about the subject really

I will only be storing large mkv and 3d iso images on the setup along with photo and doc backups of the 1 home pc , im running 2 x 3tb wd mybook lives at moment

on a side note I know the qnap I got is over kill but I got it from amazon for £507 inc the drives so im thinking about selling the 469 on and getting a lower spec one for movies

toddy28

Prominent Member
ImageUploadedByAVForums1401129236.368762.jpg

Could not resist at that price

cjed

Prominent Member
It depends upon how much storage you need and if you want redundancy or not.

Raid 0 (single volume, no redundancy) will give you the whole 12TB, but a single disk failure will lose the lot.
Raid 10 (single volume, single disk redundancy) will give you 6TB, and survive a single disk failure.
Raid 5 (single volume, single disk redundancy) will give you 9TB, and survive a single disk failure.

On low powered NAS units, RAID 10 will perform better than RAID 5, but on the TS469L I'd expect little difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom