1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a PTAE-100 - Need some help please.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ricdiggle, Feb 25, 2003.

1. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just got a brand new PTAE-100 for £799. It will arrive in the morning and to say the least, I'm a bit giddy!

Anyway, I need some helpful advice from all you current owners.

I realise that doing a search would tell me everything I need to know but to be honest, there is a massive amount of info to get through and I'd appreciate it if someone who's kept up with it all could condense the info for me.

I am wanting to connect it up to my DVD (Component but not progressive - Yet)
    My X-box and camcorder (S-Vid)
    My digital cable box (scart RGB) (The one I don't know how to do really)
    And of course, my PC.

Is there an easy way to do this? Maybe with just one cable? Or do I need an i-Scan or something similar? How long can the cables be?

I heard about using filters to help with black level. Any recomendations?

How big should the screen be? and which screen should I get?

How much is a ceiling mount and which one is best?

My room is about 20 foot by 15 foot and mainly white. It is actually lots of different coloured 1m square squares ranging frombiscuit to magnolia (I came over all changing rooms one afternoon!)

I think that's all for now.

I realise that is a lot of questions but any help you can give would be massively appreciated.

Richard.

2. pcdoc

pcdoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Ric

I have my AE100 conected through Component I have to use a 10mtr cable, works fine for me. and its only a bog standard cable at that.

My screen is a White Blackout roller blind 1.8mtr from homebase £44.99, I think the picture is very good.

I have just received my Hoya FL-D HMC Filter from the USA this morning, and I really think it makes the picture look better.

I believe you would need something like a ProV to connect your cable box up, not 100% on that as I only use my PJ for DVD's

Hope that helps a little ric

Pcdoc

Oh yeah heres a couple of links to some piccies I took, they're not brilliant.

http://www.mypages.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/screen1.jpg

http://www.mypages.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/pj1.jpg

http://www.mypages.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/screen2.jpg

3. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for info mate.
    Pics look great.

Any more about the Hoya filter would be appreciated. Ie. Where from, how much and why

Thanks,
    Richard.

4. pcdoc

pcdoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi ric

The HMC filter allows about 97% of light through, the standard allows less. I ordered it from http://www.2filter.com

After emailing them I faxed my order through (using onetel only costs 3p per min to USA) on the 20th Feb, it arrived today :clap: now thats not bad service. Cost was; Filter $16.40, shipping to UK $10.50

spec ordered was Hoya FL-D HMC filter 55mm

Pcdco

5. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again mate.

Richard.

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi ricdiggle,

Welcome to the ae100 fold !

Just some pointers to your questions, half (or more) of the fun is getting your set up right, and you'll probably get more detail by surfing here (otherwise one of us ends up doing it for you :zonked: !!!)

You asked::

I am wanting to connect it up to my DVD (Component but not progressive - Yet)
    My X-box and camcorder (S-Vid)
    My digital cable box (scart RGB) (The one I don't know how to do really)
    And of course, my PC.

Is there an easy way to do this? Maybe with just one cable? Or do I need an i-Scan or something similar? How long can the cables be?

This is a tough one for me - maybe others will chime in for you. A ProV will allow you to connect one composite, one Svideo and one VGA source to the projector with one VGA lead to the projector - the ProV also has a built-in TV tuner, but with mono sound only. An alternative route is to use your amp to switch all the Svideo sources (get a Scart to Svideo adaptor for your dig cable box, assuming it does Svid, otherwise use the composite out) and connect the monitor out of the amp to the projector. You won't get away with one cable this route, though, as you'd still need component for your DVD (unless the amp will switch component) and VGA for the computer. a decent VGA or Svideo or component will run 10metres no prob.

I heard about using filters to help with black level. Any recomendations?

Hoya FLD is well recommended by all (including me) - go for multicoated (HMC) if you can- import from States as already advised is the usual route, like hens teeth otherwise. Result, once you've adjusted the white balance by increasing the Green and Blue levels is better contrast, reduced "green cast" in the image, better blacks, better overall colour balance. Trade-off is slightly reduced light output - noticeable but v. acceptable for result gained.

How big should the screen be? and which screen should I get?

How big do you want it to be ?? If your room allows you to sit 16 ft away from the screen, then go for 8 ft - you'll never look back !! Its really a function of the distance away from the screen you can sit (1.5 - 2x screen width recommended), and also where you can position your projector - try to position the projector so that you get the image size you want with minimum zoom - this gives best picture quality, also try for no keystone adjustment. Check Projectorcentral.com ofr a throw distance calculator for AE100 - this will allow you to do your calculation re positioning the PJ with ease. Which screen ?? Some others may help here - depends on budget/screen size - the bigger the screen the lesschoice, afaik, check Smurfin's posts - he recently got a new 8ft screen for his Z1. if you're budget is restricted, you can have a DIY job for about £25 (assuming you can accomodate a fixed screen) - search for details of how to make one.

How much is a ceiling mount and which one is best?

Lots here go for a DIY job - check Kramer's HS10 thread for details of his, or Fulabeer''s site for pics of his version - usual route is to use plate from TV bracket with holes drilled appropriately and an aluminium tube table-leg (B&Q) - another search for you !! I know there are commercially mage mounts (including Panasonic) but don't have details.

My room is about 20 foot by 15 foot and mainly white. It is actually lots of different coloured 1m square squares ranging frombiscuit to magnolia (I came over all changing rooms one afternoon!)

In a predominantly white room you'll probably get a lot of light reflected back on the screen surface - try it for a while then come "Changing Rooms" all over again and go for a dark colour !!!!!!!

Hope the foregoing gives some assistance - have fun and let us know how you get along.

All the best,

The Rit:boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

7. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Ritz - Many thanks for your advice. I will let you know what I think soon.

Richard.

8. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it arrived and I must say that so far it's very disappointing.
    Using S-Video via digi cam and DVD, colours are poor at best and when using it to project my PC screen, I cannot focus the letters. DVDs through the PC looked 100% better. I'll hook up my Arcam Dv88 using component cables later and see if that helps. I guess darkness will bring it's own benefits as well.
    No dead pixels at all though which is nice.
    Is it supposed to run so hot? I guess so.

Ho Hum, I hope that lots of fiddling will improve things, otherwise, I've just bought an expensive add on for my X-Box. There's no way I could watch a film on this as it is.

Any recomendations guys??

Richard.

9. olaiho

olaiho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ricdiggle,
    in order to get a good picture from a PC with the AE100, you need to set Windows up with a custom widescreen resolution, which matches the properties of the AE100. This is done by using a program called Powerstrip. Detailed instructions can be found here (thanks to Hoglet):

AE100 + PC

BR,
    Olaiho

10. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ric,

As far as disappointment goes...

You have bought a bargain basement pj and it does have its limitations, however that has not stopped all the AE100 owners on here (me included) from enjoying our toys for the last yr or so. Most of us probably do realise (after a few weeks) that the performance is not earth shattering but initally almost everyone is blown away by the big screen.

I think the pj is by far and away best for film and some use (not PC) and in particular bright colourful scenes - ever noticed how may LCD pj's are demo'd with Disney!!! It is never going to look that great with a PC and text because ultimately you are limited to roughly 480 lines of vertical resolution (remember 640 480 desktops??? :eek: ) additionally (and this applies to any fixed panel device to some extent) if your PC is trying to display one resolution and the panels native resolution is different then scaleing is needed. Less of a big deal on moving video (although noticable) and large objects but on text... think about the difference that this makes to the relatively tiny fonts! I have an 18" TFT at work and would never dream of running it in anything but native resolution from my PC as it looks dire. Hence using powerstrip makes the best of this situation. The ideal here would be megapixel resolutions *or* a CRT type display.

As far as DVD via Svid goes - I think this should be pretty watchable but you will notice an improvement going for component. Do not judge via digicam as who knows what the quality of the outputs are! I think criticism of the resolution, black leveland contrast is fair however I always thought the colours rather good...

My advice would be dial the focus tight in on the AE100 menu - make sure that it is focussed in all 4 corners (ie pj is aligned correctly wrt screen, then slightly defocus the image (1/32 of a turn or less) this will reduce the screendoor. Make sure you are running in high lamp mode, eliminate all the light you can from the room, sit at least 1.5 - 2 x screen width away get a a beer and watch a whole film - prefereably something with some sunlight!

I use my AE100 most of the time and when I go back to TV I am stunned how much better the pic is *but* there is no way I would watch a film on the TV!

It has its faults (my maingripe is screendoor) but I would not say I am disappointed with it. At £800 I think it is a steal.

Best of luck and I hope it starts to win you over

Tim

11. pinkerton

pinkerton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A quick question about the Hoya filters, are you guys using them only in high lamp mode?
    Anything that improves picture quality is a bonus but I wish to continue using mine in low mode to reduce fan noise.
    Thanks

12. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Rich

make sure you get your picture settings as you like them as these can make a big difference to your image.

I borrowed a copy of the AVIA set-up DVD and got good results with that and then tweaked a little afterwards.

I use mine through a ProV which, as SeanG says, makes a huge difference on any Sky pictures (tho depends also on the channel you're watching).

I use mine all the time for DVDs Sky movies etc. The biggest pain is the dearth of widescreen material on SKY, which, considering it's the prime digital source is a bit pants really. The BBC seems to have more widescreen output!!

BTW I thought mine looked crap when I first got it.

cheers

Chris

13. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Pinkerton,

I use the Hoya filter in Low lamp mode - it does decrease the light output a little, but you get decent improvement in colour rendiition and contrast - well wortyh a go for £20 - most agree its the cheapest and most effective upgrade.

Richard,

if you're viewing for the first time in daylight its bound to look a bit "off" - I never watch with any ambient light - it kills the picture. Svid feed from a DVD is pretty near the bottom of the video signal foodchain for source for the AE100, you should see serious improvement in Component from your Arcam, and will see the AE100 at its best in pixel-perfect mode from a PC. Don't worry about your desktop looking naff - assume you're sending the AE100 an XGA (1024x768) signal - mine looks pants as well at this. Get Powerstrip and follow Hoglets's instructions - it'll really come alive for you.

All the best,

Sean G.

14. ricdiggle

ricdiggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,
    It's gone pretty dark now and I've rigged up a makeshift screen from a cotton blanket (I know, I really need a screen as I can see the weave on it).
    Went through Avia quickly - Brightness minus 18 Wow!

Then gave it the Pod Race and Monster's Inc to play (they should look good on everything.) Watching Changing Lanes later.
    Colours do indeed look great now that the room is giving it a chance. Component has improved things a lot. I'm still not 100% happy with it but I'm starting to see the attraction.

Will have a look at this Powerstrip thingy later on in the week when I have more time.

One thing which is immediately apparent is that the sound is vastly improved in my system and I haven't touvhed a dial. It just makes more sense with a big screen.

Anyway,
    Many thanks to you all.

Richard.

15. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You couldn't actually put in a link to the specific filter could you? I've tried to find it both from your description and price without success and there are so many different types of Hoya filters on that site it confussing me:confused:

Does this filter fit the lens thread like in a camera or is it a stick on job?

16. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all!

I'm thinking about going for this projector myself, a few questions though:

1. Where can you get it for £800?
    2. What screen do people recommend; what's that thing from Homebase?
    3. How about that new QED SCART to VGA box that's just come out?

17. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You can get it from www.soundandvision.uk.com for £799;)

I can't really answer your other 2 questions but maybe someone else can.

18. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link. One thing - how well does the keystone work? Could I have the projector on a shelf on the right side of the room, firing onto the central wall, and have a picture that is not distorted, and in the correct aspect ratio?

If I want to fill almost the entire wall, how close/far does the projector need to be?

Sorry but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to these things...

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Daninthemix,

Keystone adjustment on the AE100 only works in the vertical plane - for the PJ tiliting up (say, from a coffee table) or down (say from near the ceiling).

To set the PJ to one side of the room would need a facility usualy called "Sideshot" - I know the Sony'd have this - HS1, HS2 Even HS10 (??), and the Sanyo Z1 is also very adaptable as to positioning.

You should take into account that the internal processing needed for big keystone adjustment usually degrades picture quality a bit - for some this is part of the compromise of fitting the PJ into a domestic environment.

All the best,

Sean G.